• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Omega Seamaster.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The only Omega watch that I like is the snappily named, and very easy to remember 'Omega Seamaster professional 300 m 2531.80'

I bought it from this guy for a very reasonable $350:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...mega-seamaster

Very good value with a gen dial, date wheel, hands and insert.

When it arrived I gave it a check over - this watch needed some TLC to make it sparkle, to bring it back to life. This is in no way a reflection on the seller, who's a nice guy - I got what I paid for and am not complaining, but to get this watch looking and feeling like a gen some things needed to be corrected:

The bezel ring wasn't seated correctly ( it fell off in my hand), the bezel insert wasn't seated either. The bracelet didn't seem to go with the case as the end links didn't fit - getting the spring bars into the lug holes was almost impossible. It also needed to be refinished as it was pretty scratched up.

The dial needed to be cleaned, as did the hands.

Then there was this really oddly shaped case, with big, thick, curved lugs - nothing like the gen really (this can't be seen clearly in the sales pics, but this case was THICK).

The case was slimmed down - I've never taken so much off the top of a case before, almost a full millimetre. The lugs and CGs were reshaped and the whole case was re-brushed and re-polished - including the incorrect 007 case back.

I cleaned and restored the dial, cleaned the hands and relumed them using the original lume plus a little extra no glow powder to make up the quantity. The crystal was polished, the bezel ring and insert were seated correctly, and the bracelet was re-finished, the end links modded so that they fit the case correctly.

The case is still a little to thick, but if I take anymore off then the bezel ring will fall off. Other than that, it's a big improvement IMO, the watch has that gen sparkle and feel, and gets worn regularly.

pRUms.jpg

pRQRp.jpg

pRnoh.jpg

pRepD.jpg

pRs7U.jpg

pR9R8.jpg

Thanks for looking !

Last edited:

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Stunning! Been looking for a gen, but this is as good as haha!

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Great job, a before and after would have been nice....how did you clean the dail?

Stuessi

Renowned Member
9/6/16
very nice watch, would it be difficult to source a gen case or is it just not worth to do so?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
It wouldn't be too difficult to get a gen case, but I think you'd end up paying around $1000, which means with the dial, movement, insert etc, you're getting close to the price of a gen - may as well just buy the gen.

Reactions: neeeechlas