• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor 7928 - matte gilt dial and SCG

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Tudor 7928 - Gilt matte dial and SCG

This project has a special place in my heart.
It was initially meant for a friend who specifically asked me about a matted gilt dial we had seen on the bay, which he wanted to match with a square crown guards case.

I told him pointed CG's were the period-correct choice imho, but in the end I did as he asked me.

Well, the fun part is that once I finished the job I was (and I still am) so enthusiast about the result, I liked this watch so much that I couldn't stop talking about it. Now you might think making another build looking exactly the same would be easy, but it isn't. Some dials just don't show up.

So what does this guy do? He decided to send the watch back to me so I could enjoy it.
Thanks R., it was a really appreciated gesture ;)

Parts list

Cartel case completely reshaped and refinished to SCG
Athaya crown and tube
Athaya pearl
Clark golden hands
Yuki T19 plexi
Vietnam dial

Some more pics:

That's all for now, hope you enjoyed the pics :)

Plumfuzzer

Horology Curious
24/8/18
Could you describe the making process?

Where did you get the original watch from?

What did you use to age the dial and pearl pip?

Where did you get that case back that has Rolex Tudor oyster engraved on it?

I’m prepping for my own 7928 build and yours seems like a great model!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Base is a cartel watch, you can get it from any TD. It has correct caseback and sometimes correct engravings between the lugs.
Hands are Clark's
Crown, tube and pearl are Athaya's
plexi is yuki's
Dial came from ebay

there are a few tutorials about aging a watch, all you need is files, sandpaper, a dremel tool and some time :)

cherrybombs

Horology Curious
23/2/19
I love this watch and want to do a similar build for a 7928. I'm a noobie. Can someone please tell me what a "cartel case" is. Is there some place I can get these? Also, what is SCG?

"Cartel case completely reshaped and refinished to SCG"

If someone could provide links to sites, I'd like to go ahead and purchases the pieces and start this project. Thanks!!

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
It’s a resource over at another site but very helpful in understanding all of the vintage lingo that flies around: https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/144917-the-vintage-encyclopedia/
Contact any of the TD’s with your request of a Cartel watch and they’ll likely be able to get it for you. Send them a picture or link of what you’re looking for and mention you’re specifically looking for one made by a Cartel factory - they’ll know what you’re talking about.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
It’s a resource over at another site but very helpful in understanding all of the vintage lingo that flies around: https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/144917-the-vintage-encyclopedia/
Contact any of the TD’s with your request of a Cartel watch and they’ll likely be able to get it for you. Send them a picture or link of what you’re looking for and mention you’re specifically looking for one made by a Cartel factory - they’ll know what you’re talking about.

I missed that very useful thread, thank you. I must add it to my list of tutorials thread though im not sure the link is still visible in my sig

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
That's a great thread. I don't think he mentioned what these mean:

Gen
TD
JKF
Gen = genuine
TD = trusted dealer
JKF = a specific producer of watches, like Noob

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

cherrybombs

Horology Curious
23/2/19
With replica watch cases, do they change the serial number or do they imprint the same serial number over and over again? Or, do they just not put a serial number on?

Also, I couldn't locate the meaning of SCG on the linked website. What does that stand for? Sorry.

What I was envisioning is creating a franken. A real movement. A real dial with real tritium lume, but aftermarket case, crystal, bezel and metal strap (http://rubyswatch.com/products/k6-2-...0-endlink-1881).

I tried on a gen 5512 at European W Co and I was surprised how light the watch was and how thin the bracelet was.

I think I may model it after some of the Tudors on this website. Although, I'm not 100% convinced that these are gen watches:
http://brevetwatches.com/

I noticed that the crown guards of the cases on Brevet seem to cut up dramatically from the back side, but have a slightly rounded appearance on the top side. The original poster on this thread looks like he used a case with square crown guards. I did some research into the evolution of the Tudors and I think they only used square crown guards for one year in 1959:

https://www.tudorwatch.com/magazine/article/tudor-history-submariners-1954-to-1968

7922 - 1954 - first Tudor - automatic - mercedes
7923 - 1955 - only manually wound movement - pencil hand
7924 - 1958 - Big Crown - went from 100m to 200m - mercedes
7928 - 1959 - square Crown guards- case back says “ORIGINAL OYSTER CASE BY ROLEX GENEVA”.
7928 - 1960 - pointed crown guards -
7928 - 1964 - rounded crown guards (ie- they're rounded on the ends) - tropical due to bezel and dial discoloration - silver inscription - '63-'64 may be the point when Rolex switches from Radium to Tritium according to this website (http://rolexpassionreport.com/15606/the-evolution-of-rolex-luminous/)
7928 - 1967 - circle disappears

Last edited:

donerix

I'm Pretty Popular
9/2/09
Nicaragua
Base is a cartel watch, you can get it from any TD. It has correct caseback and sometimes correct engravings between the lugs.
Hands are Clark's
Crown, tube and pearl are Athaya's
plexi is yuki's
Dial came from ebay

there are a few tutorials about aging a watch, all you need is files, sandpaper, a dremel tool and some time :)

Kilowattore: I am the proud owner of Seafood's watch which I believe uses the same case as your pieces of art (correct 7928 engraving between the lugs).
I was wondering what dial size will fit the watch because I am contemplating to upgrade the dial (seems to have a bit too much space around the chapter ring) so I can go looking for one as nice as the one you used.
Thank you in advance for your time

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Kilowattore: I am the proud owner of Seafood's watch which I believe uses the same case as your pieces of art (correct 7928 engraving between the lugs).
I was wondering what dial size will fit the watch because I am contemplating to upgrade the dial (seems to have a bit too much space around the chapter ring) so I can go looking for one as nice as the one you used.
Thank you in advance for your time

If your case is cartel then dial must be is 26.0 mm, all of their 4 digits subs are.