• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1675 Ruby’s Watch Dial Relume

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
For 1675 GMT project I’m currently working on I ordered a dial from Ruby’s Watch. It is a thing of beauty, head and shoulders above the default dials on a Cartel. The lume is tight and crisp...

Buuut unfortunately it doesn’t glow. While it might not be period correct, I really want my lume to glow when I’m using the watch.

So off came that lume and on went my lume. While it’s not as perfect as what was delivered to me, I’m pleased with the slight pillowing, color, and consistency - most especially that it glows.

I’ll say, on this dial the binder reacted to the dial marker paint - wanted to melt it right off. Made reluming a bit more difficult.

Anyways, here’s some pics of my results.

Thanks for looking!

jqAhmWb.jpg

Xbhgb3l.jpg

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Hard to beat these guys perfect lume application. Good job!

ADINVA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/5/18
Looks good. Mind me asking, what do you do when you accidentally "paint" over the plot border? I was thinking perhaps a sharp point Qtip. Apart from glowing, is it possible to use acrylic paint to relume the dial?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Looks good. Mind me asking, what do you do when you accidentally "paint" over the plot border? I was thinking perhaps a sharp point Qtip. Apart from glowing, is it possible to use acrylic paint to relume the dial?

Thanks!

I use a thin oiler to relume and a lume consistency close to cake batter - slightly liquid-y but a bit stiff at the same time. The benefit of a slight liquid-y consistency is I can "float" the mixture to be smooth/pillowed. By having it slightly thick I am able to gently push it to the edges without it seeping. When I push it too far over the edge of a marker, I have quickly cleaned off my oiler and pushed it back. Because of the afore mentioned mixture consistency I can push it back without it really messing up the black color.

I probably wouldn't relume using paint. It seems to me that the combination of binder and pigment powder is important to how you apply it. If you didn't want it to glow you can purchase binder with non-luminous pigment.

ADINVA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/5/18
Thanks!

I use a thin oiler to relume and a lume consistency close to cake batter - slightly liquid-y but a bit stiff at the same time. The benefit of a slight liquid-y consistency is I can "float" the mixture to be smooth/pillowed. By having it slightly thick I am able to gently push it to the edges without it seeping. When I push it too far over the edge of a marker, I have quickly cleaned off my oiler and pushed it back. Because of the afore mentioned mixture consistency I can push it back without it really messing up the black color.

I probably wouldn't relume using paint. It seems to me that the combination of binder and pigment powder is important to how you apply it. If you didn't want it to glow you can purchase binder with non-luminous pigment.

Great tips!