• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex experts: this 5513 case set - gen or rep?

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
I'm wanting to build a Genstein 5513 and have the opportunity to acquire what the seller says is a gen 1975 5513 case set. Thoughts?

xzTeMnn.jpg

Em468an.jpg

clzlOHc.jpg

M35N9vA.jpg

OYBPHyt.jpg

aETITGI.jpg

48kriL3.jpg

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Fake - and there is a difference between fake and rep. This one was probably made in Italy.

Reactions: cheld and C Master

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
Fake - and there is a difference between fake and rep. This one was probably made in Italy.

OK if anyone doubts that Trip knows his shizzle, the guy selling this is in........ Italy. Thanks for saving me some cash, man!

Reactions: tripdog

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Yeah Trip, what identifies it as Italian?

Tomato sauce on one of the lugs.

Kidding. There's a watch smith in Italy who makes very good fake 5513 and 1680 cases and bezel assemblies - there's a lot of people who've bought off him thinking it was gen.

If you're looking for a gen 5513 case in reasonable condition then the minimum you'll pay is $2500 - less than that you should be suspicious.

frankfrank

Beaches
6/2/16

Kidding. There's a watch smith in Italy who makes very good fake 5513 and 1680 cases and bezel assemblies - there's a lot of people who've bought off him thinking it was gen.

If you're looking for a gen 5513 case in reasonable condition then the minimum you'll pay is $2500 - less than that you should be suspicious.

That'sa some pricey saucea (in italian accent)

Reactions: yodog and tripdog

Stuessi

Renowned Member
9/6/16
what's the difference fake vs rep? Seller of fake cases ask gen money for it whereby vietnam vendors do not pretend that it is gen in the first place?

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
what's the difference fake vs rep? Seller of fake cases ask gen money for it whereby vietnam vendors do not pretend that it is gen in the first place?

Yeah “fake” is when it’s passed off as gen. “Rep” is when it’s acknowledged as not gen. I was sleepy when I posted; I should’ve used the right word.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

As stated above , fake is when you try to pass it off as gen, ( a scam ) rep is advertised as rep.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15

A quick search on chrono24 reveal that Italy has more pre owned Rolexs for sale than Germany with over 22 million more inhabitants, 4,5 times more Rolexes than France for sale, a head of the UK -only surpassed by the US. Something is rotten in Denmark! Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

Reactions: tripdog

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
Italian "vintage" dealers are NOTORIOUSLY known for passing off reps as gens..... thats were all the "fake" solid 18k daydate bracelets come from also....