• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Crown Guardless Rolex Want to Build

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
I have spent quite awhile looking with the search functioning however this site has so much information that it can be hard to decipher. I am not lazy is what I am trying to say :)

I really like the look of the vintage rolex submariners like the 6536 (really any of them before the crown guards appeared).

I personally am ok with the watch not being exactly 1:1 would really just be looking to age the dial, hands, and bezel insert to make it look well worn.

The Ask:
  • What is my best bet for a decent starter watch for modding to get something similar to one of these submariners?
  • Is there a good resource for reading up on aging dials, dial modders, where to find dials that look well worn?
Thanks for everyone's help!

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Use the cartel 6538 watch as a base, any dealer has them.
as for aging read the many tutorials in the Rolex and vintage section. I suggest bonesey's and NCRich's for straters.

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
i am having trouble searching on a few TD's sites for "6538" or "cartel" as no search results are found. would you be willing to post any links to TD sites to the specific watch?