• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JKF 5513 Crown Tube messed up??

-prick

15/1/17
Hi everybody,

so I started taking my jkf 5513 apart and everything went smoothly except removing the stock crown tube.
I tried to unscrew it with a triangular file but with no luck. On top of that the top part did break… so there is still
the screw part inside the hole of the case.

Now I am kinda freaked out because i dont know what to do!
Nothing seems to have enough grip to pull the stuck part out and I really dont want to mess up the thread inside the case.

79a393-1524642664.jpg

excuse the bad pic, but theres a part of the tube stuck inside the hole

Also i fail to understand how I attach the stem to my athaya crown?!
efd6fa-1524642956.jpg

left: stock jkf crown with stem
middle: broken tube
right: athaya crown

please vintage modders
help a fellow modding-mate ^^

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
You probably grabbed the tube on only the top of the tube - twisting it too hard and broke it off. When this has happened to me, I literally use a larger needle and go in to "slice" the inner pieces off. The metal on the bottom part of the tube is very brittle, and comes off easily if you follow the case threading with the needle point and literally push. you should see threads of tube come off as you work your way along the threads. hard to really say in writing.

for the stem you just twist it off..... be careful also because it could be superglued in. you may have a spare stem handy in case it doesnt come off and you break the clutch in the cartel crown also.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Chinese tubes are made of brass - very soft. You could try what Yodog suggested, or you could try to find a needle file which grips enough of the remaining tube to allow you to unscrew it - once you're certain you've got a needle file that'll do the job, insert it into the tube and give it a sharp tap with something solid so the it bites into the tube, then unscrew it using a set of pliers/pincers to give you more grip on the file if needed - you will need to have the case secured in a vise to do this properly.

As stated above, the crown screws off the stem - hold the stem in a pair of pliers - carefully, the stem is very fragile - with your free hand unscrew the crown.

-prick

15/1/17
thank you very much for the tips

... i tried all of them and nothing worked -.-
yodog i tried with a sewing needle but it seems its not strong enough. i got me a bigger needle and ill try it again
tripdog did that, but it seems that the brass is too soft, it wont grip and i am really scared that i ruin the thread if i tap it too hard into the hole
alfons123 a buddy had a screw extractor like you have and we tried this method. i turned it until it got stuck but then i couldnt go further.
after removing the extractor all i saw it did was deform the tube because its so soft but it didnt move a bit.
now i am really scared i messed up the m3 thread of the case.

the only possibility i can think of now is drill the hole with 2,5mm - maybe i can remove the remaining inner tube pieces the way yodog described?
and then cut a new thread with this tap: http://www.victornet.com/detail/TAMP-3-.35.html so the athaya crown tube fits
no shop near me hast this tap, if i have to order it on the internet shipping will probably take at least 3 weeks..

what do you guys think? any other way? i think this would be the most destructive

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Where the hell do you live that shipping takes 3 weeks ?

Just re-tap the thread in the case - same size - it'll either push the last piece of tube out or just chew it up to pieces.

-prick

15/1/17
so you say its not nessecary to drill since the tube is so soft

0,35 thread pitch is very hard to find, stores near me only have 0,5
i live in austria, there are german websites that offer this tap but their shipping cost is ridiculously high
if i order on american or asian websites shipping takes 3 weeks
i found one on amazon and it ships via amazon too, so it should only take a few days.
on monday ill try it at another local store (its not open on saturdays...), if they dont have that tap ill order that one from amazon

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
so you say its not nessecary to drill since the tube is so soft

0,35 thread pitch is very hard to find, stores near me only have 0,5
i live in austria, there are german websites that offer this tap but their shipping cost is ridiculously high
if i order on american or asian websites shipping takes 3 weeks
i found one on amazon and it ships via amazon too, so it should only take a few days.
on monday ill try it at another local store (its not open on saturdays...), if they dont have that tap ill order that one from amazon

I'd put a few drops of cutting fluid inside the tube and on the end of the tap. Then as you screw it down and when it hits the tube inside, for each full turn in, back it out half a turn to help clear out the pieces of the tube.

Last edited:

bobandshawn

Patron
29/10/13
Florida
This was the downfall of my last Cartel build. EXACT same mess you have. Quite a learning experience...and it did not end well...

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
This was the downfall of my last Cartel build. EXACT same mess you have. Quite a learning experience...and it did not end well...

Did you use foul language at any point ?

-prick

15/1/17
what did you do?
im thinking even if i fuck the thread up i could glue the athaya tube into the hole
so the case is still useable and no one would notice

bobandshawn

Patron
29/10/13
Florida
I tried to JB weld the tube but it never maintained water resistance. Was quite a while ago, and in my anger I tossed it!!!