• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 1680 genuine Beyeler MKII dial.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
No need to introduce the famous Rolex 1680 'red' Submariner. Brought out in 1966, for the first few years of production the word Submariner on the dial was printed in red. Then around 1973, 1974 - nobody knows for sure, Rolex changed the printing to all white. Costs may have been a factor, as printing 2 colors on the dial is more complex than 1 color - but that's just a guess on my part.

A little while before RWI went down after the hack, I bought a MKII Beyeler 1680 dial on M2M. It had quite a lot of damage to the paint, but the tritium lume had a beautiful color to it, and was more or less intact on all the plots. The price was reasonable, so I bought it.

This is what it looked like when I bought it:

pnjA8.jpg

The aim was to restore the dial to it's former glory, whilst at the same time respecting the natural patina that it had acquired over the last 40 years - I didn't want it to look like a 'refinished dial', NOS is not a look that interests me. Patina, character, history, that's all part of the appeal of a vintage watch - whatever the brand.

It would have been easy to screw up the restoration of the dial - the paint in places had been fragilized, and 40 year old tritium, is incredibly fragile. It took some time, some trial and error to get there, but the end result is quite satisfactory IMO.

On a scale of 1 - 10, painting 0.2 mm high letters by hand is a least a 25.

Even using X20 magnification and a 00000 sable brush with half it's hairs removed it was still not easy.

The dial is now living in a gen' spec' Vietnam case, which was reworked to slim the lugs (way too thick as they come from the factory), the CGs were re-shaped and then the whole case re-polished and brushed.

A set of hands were re-lumed to match the tritium on the dial, and a nice serifed date wheel was lightly aged.

The movement is a low beat Swiss ETA 2878.

Some other genuine parts were used: Rolex 703 crown and tube, a Top Hat T127 and a Rolex insert with tritium pearl, the patina matching the tritium dial nicely.

The 'after' pics:

pnLl3.jpg

pntvb.jpg

pn4q2.jpg

pnrMd.jpg

pnABZ.jpg

p0V8R.jpg

p06vg.jpg

p0Kqa.jpg

945l1yF.jpg

HpfpXet.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

repmaster1234

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/9/17
Wow Trip, that's definitely one to keep in your personal collection. Excellent work on the restoration. Painting text like that must take a hell of a lot of confidence and a seriously steady hand.

Reactions: tripdog

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Wow amazing work, i would have loved to see an after photo without the crystal. The watch is a beauty.

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Amazing what you have done to this dial - perfect look.
I like also the blue-ish of the insert, so nicely matching to this patina dial.
The date wheel is gen? Matches also perfect to this combo.

>> Stunning piece and build!! :)

Reactions: barth

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Amazing what you have done to this dial - perfect look.
I like also the blue-ish of the insert, so nicely matching to this patina dial.
The date wheel is gen? Matches also perfect to this combo.

>> Stunning piece and build!! :)

Thanks !

The DW is aftermarket, a little bit of 'ageing' makes it blend in well with the dial and insert.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Saying I'm impressed is not enough. Masterful.

xray7

Renowned Member
1/4/18
Old Dart
Stunning build and exceptional work. I'm guessing this one's in your personal rotation?

Replica01

I'm Pretty Popular
27/11/16
Stunning piece of work Trip!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Nice. What type of maganification tool do you use?

sierra-tango

Known Member
15/3/18
damn, stunning craftsmanship tripdog
Kudos to you, mate !!! love those pictures and the Rolex baby with a story and soul !!!

:drool:

2pac

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/1/14
No pics for tapatalk user, could you post it? It's always a pleasure see your works

ILuvTheCLock

Known Member
23/7/17
That is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wowa::wowa::wowa::wowa: I wish I had your skills. Awesome work, it turned out beautiful :clap_1: :thumbsup::xj4: