• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bakelite Inserts (Pic Heavy)

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Here it is on a cartel 1675 bezel
IMG_4863e6e34095b6d0d1fe.jpg

So you're the guy who is making and selling them on Ebay.!! I was going to bid on your auction....I commend you on the effort and work put into these...this one looks great. however , as mentioned you do need to switch up your lume as it does look more to the blueish tone than a green , switch that up and they are good to go.

This looks great..but as far as fit...this 6542 coin edge bezel is different than the 1675 cartel bezel....in appearance obviously but I can assume in size also. I do not have a cartel bezel handy so I can not confirm this. I can provide the ID & OD of NDT Trading bezel and my Clarks bezel and see how they compare to the Cartel.

Great job!! I love seeing the innovation in the hobby!! Its a great time to be alive with access to this technology!

I had just assumed that the Inserts were made by cnc ... If you could 3D print these...you would literally have a printing machine!

Keep it up! Subscribed!

repmaster1234

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/9/17
I know, you are right... but I see that your insert lume is toward blue... maybe because it was the first and you were testing it?

Ah, I thought you were referring to the color of the numerals themselves. Technically speaking, if it was lumed with radium it should not glow at all as the radium would have eaten away at the zinc sulfide. However, radium on its own would glow blue. The zinc sulfide is what provides the greenish color.
That being said, from what I can gather, these inserts were lumed with strontium-90. Although there is little information available on what color this would glow, presumably it could be anywhere from green to aqua as strontium aluminate (what I used for this project) glows within that range.
Either way, doesn't really matter - I just lumed it aqua for aesthetic reasons (thought it was purdy). If I wanted to be 100% accurate I would not put lume powder in it at all, but that's boring.

Last edited:

repmaster1234

15/9/17
This looks great..but as far as fit...this 6542 coin edge bezel is different than the 1675 cartel bezel....in appearance obviously but I can assume in size also. I do not have a cartel bezel handy so I can not confirm this. I can provide the ID & OD of NDT Trading bezel and my Clarks bezel and see how they compare to the Cartel.

Thanks for the heads up - I am aware of this. It is a bit small in outer diameter for the cartel bezel that I photographed it in. It fits perfectly in a gen spec bezel, according to an eBayer that purchased one and mounted it in his.

silentflight

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/6/13
This did very well on eBay!

Good job thinking outside the box

AgentPena

Supporter
28/3/18
South East Asia
Ah so you're the guy on eBay! No wonder your inserts looks so different. I can't really tell the red and blues from the photos. Do you have a better day light photo? They look kind of washed off, I was intending to bid but not too sure.

repmaster1234

15/9/17
Ah so you're the guy on eBay! No wonder your inserts looks so different. I can't really tell the red and blues from the photos. Do you have a better day light photo? They look kind of washed off, I was intending to bid but not too sure.

Here is one of mine
R0010385fc9824c0b44e1c4f.jpg

Here is an original
d041c195e81c5ec90379bf.jpg

As you can see from the following photos of originals the color can vary quite a bit

70a9651dcf28dc531932c4.jpg
706432b6856688b7045b1a.jpg

Each one I've made has varied slightly in color as I paint them by hand and base the color on a gen reference that I feel is attractive. If you have a specific insert that you prefer I can work with you to make one as close as possible.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Here is one of mine
R0010385fc9824c0b44e1c4f.jpg

Here is an original
d041c195e81c5ec90379bf.jpg

As you can see from the following photos of originals the color can vary quite a bit

70a9651dcf28dc531932c4.jpg
706432b6856688b7045b1a.jpg

Each one I've made has varied slightly in color as I paint them by hand and base the color on a gen reference that I feel is attractive. If you have a specific insert that you prefer I can work with you to make one as close as possible.

WOW !!! what you achieved is really stunning
I've been working on such a project with a different method (plexi CNC etching) but when I see your production I really think I'd better buy one of these ;)
So here is THE question : how much do you sell those beauties ?

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
WOW !!! what you achieved is really stunning
I've been working on such a project with a different method (plexi CNC etching) but when I see your production I really think I'd better buy one of these ;)
So here is THE question : how much do you sell those beauties ?

If you have to ask...................

LOL, they are beautiful things manodeoro. I've got one.

electric

I'm Pretty Popular
14/11/12
Oh my god why won’t my pics work?! This sounds dreamy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

repmaster1234

15/9/17
Any idea if these would fit in a Tiger concept 5508 case (used on their 6542 gmt too)
if you can get me the bezel measurements I can let you know.

Andytan1990-

Looking Around
8/12/18
I'm so impressed by your passion & hard work! But how do we order the bezel from you if we wanna get one?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Came across this guy on IG that is making root beer Bakelite inserts for Seiko. Pretty neaten that colour combo. The tropical dial is pretty sweet as well. ????????

e7bdf615d98d556e4a5bb54a0ff1a886.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
COMEX Seiko ??? ???? funny
Nevertheless that insert is stunning.
My question will probably sound silly but ... what is IG ?

EDIT : InstaGram of course ... stupid me
do you have a link ?

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
COMEX Seiko ??? ???? funny
Nevertheless that insert is stunning.
My question will probably sound silly but ... what is IG ?

EDIT : InstaGram of course ... stupid me
do you have a link ?

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

Yeah the modders really try and blur the lines between seikos and rolexes building homages of sorts

Ive seen alot of these modders add 24 hours gmt bezels to their divers and I just dont really see the logic in it but whatever blows their hair back I guess. The bezel is nice!

Here is a link to his account

https://www.instagram.com/watchdisplay/