• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 16800 Submariner (franken-build with ST 3035 case!)

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I’m not familiar with the BP sub. That sounds like a lot of work. I’d have to see the rehaut. Most rep 16610’s aren’t deep enough unless you get an MBW or TC. This JF 16610 was actually about right. The old noobmariner would be perfect but I haven’t seen one in years. Lug holes are a necessity for a 16800.

You can can see the rehaut dept diff between my JF 16800 and my MBW 16610. The MBW rehaut is correct 16610 depth and you can see how shallow the JF case is in comparison.

JF shallow 16610 case. This is the v1 with shaved rehaut engraving.
Incorrect for 16610 but close to the 16800 case
orVKp.jpg

MBW correct 16610 depth
or3s8.jpg

Damn!! Oldschool MBW and noobmariner. But from my memory, didn't some MBW and noobmariner had a wokky rehaut?

Your JF with low rehaut height must be the JF V2 case? (i.e. JF 16610 LN with rehaut engraving and corrected wokky-ness). I had the JF V2 case before and I was going to use that case for a 16800 build (i even had adrian drill lug holes into the case). But I ran into a problem: the JF V2 case doesn't take gen gasket because the gen gasket causes the crystal to hit the seocnds hand. It turns out the stock JF V2 gasket is 2.7mm tall (to compensate for the lower rehaut height) - at least that happened in my case.

Nevertheless, I wished i could have started the rep game earlier (i.e. late 2000s and early 2010s) when gen rolex parts were much cheaper. Back then, you guys could afford to chop off the dial feet on a gen 1680 and 1675 dial because they weren't exactly that sought after lol.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
pompompurin My JF case is the v1 LV case and I shaved the rehaut. Maybe that’s the cause of this stupid sh3135 randomly stopping. I wonder if the second hand is hitting the crystal? The movement seems to run perfect outside of the case and then randomly stops when it’s all mounted up. And the second hand always stops in the same place. At the 55 min area. Interesting. I got the stock crystal and gasket on it. The movement has never worked properly since the watch was new. Maybe I can put a taller gasket on it? I’m still new to this saphire crystal Rolex stuff. I’m a plexi guy at heart. I’m going to pry the crystal up a tiny bit all the way around and put it back on the winder and see if it runs properly.

gen 16610 gasket is apparently 2.7mm. I wonder what’s on this JF v1 case? Do I just measure the thickness of the gasket with digital calipers? This 16800 project seems to never end.

Last edited:

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Good to see I'm not the only one going down the 16800 road. I have 0 parts as I'm still trying to figure out about the case.

I'm thinking about buying a JF and get the lugs drilled, but I also want the old holes gone. Yes, I'm picky. This requires micro welding, machines are expensive and I haven't found anyone who can do it.

Next I want the serial and model numbers removed and get correct numbers in there.

Why all the trouble? I want to wear it on a nato instead of a bracelet...

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Good to see I'm not the only one going down the 16800 road. I have 0 parts as I'm still trying to figure out about the case.

I'm thinking about buying a JF and get the lugs drilled, but I also want the old holes gone. Yes, I'm picky. This requires micro welding, machines are expensive and I haven't found anyone who can do it.

Next I want the serial and model numbers removed and get correct numbers in there.

Why all the trouble? I want to wear it on a nato instead of a bracelet...

Best bet is to buy the ST 3135 case and have it reshaped, holes already drilled

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Come on pompom show is more of this beauty!! I'm still currently building my ST peice should be final coming soon!

I took it apart again lol because I can't seem to have the dial aligned straight

Keep you updated if i rebuild it.. Currently, I am tempted to just find a gen 3035 from somewhere

Reactions: Perpetual

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
I took it apart again lol because I can't seem to have the dial aligned straight

Keep you updated if i rebuild it.. Currently, I am tempted to just find a gen 3035 from somewhere

I'll be waiting on it cheers mate! I know what you mean about taking it apart I've been taking apart and putting together a while now lol

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I'll be waiting on it cheers mate! I know what you mean about taking it apart I've been taking apart and putting together a while now lol

I have been having problems with getting the dial feet glued onto the gen dial - the dial keeps shifting.

I am now looking into installing a gen 3035 movement inside it and call it a day

Reactions: stufuse

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Very nice work.

I am still not sure if ST case is the way to go. Generally speaking, Even after a lot of rework (which is mandatory), the crown guards are a little stubby on these ST cases...well they were on all the ST cases I’ve had (and that’s a lot). It’s hard to add length on the CGs. I friend of mine added some length by welding on a blob of weld to the tip of each CG and then reshaping it.

Those gen dials are lovely!!

Sent from the RWI App

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Very nice work.

I am still not sure if ST case is the way to go. Generally speaking, Even after a lot of rework (which is mandatory), the crown guards are a little stubby on these ST cases...well they were on all the ST cases I’ve had (and that’s a lot). It’s hard to add length on the CGs. I friend of mine added some length by welding on a blob of weld to the tip of each CG and then reshaping it.

Those gen dials are lovely!!

Sent from the RWI App

I personally think the ST 3035 case cg looks better than the even stubbier ST 3135. But it wouldn't hurt to have more metal on both cases' crownguard.

Unfortunately, there aren't other viable case alternative to build a 16800 because the 16800 has that signature shallow rehaut look. I realised that the 16800 rehaut is shallow so that it could accommodate the tall 3035 movement. Some say, the JF 16610 LN V2 case is a viable candidate for a 16800 build (because of its shallow-looking rehaut); however, it looks shallow only because the rehaut is shorter from the top down.

I thought about using a stock JF 16610LN V3 case and have someone machine it from the inside to make rehaut lip higher so that the dial sit higher and the rehaut is narrower looking

I wish I got friends with laser welding tools and lathe as well in Hong Kong, HAH

Last edited:

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
ST 3035 case reshaped by @jonj480
Gen tropical dial
Gen insert
Gen crown
Gen tube
Gen crystal
Gen seconds hand
TC hour/ minute hand
Raffles movement ring/ spacer/ tabs/ screws
Eta 2836-2
BP dwo
JF 16610 bezel assembly

20190821-075333-1.jpg

20190821-075555-1.jpg

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Dang, awesome build. Looks perfect! My 16800 is probably my favorite watch in my collection currently.

Last edited:
Reactions: pompompurin