• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1680 dial options for cartel

silentflight

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/6/13
As the title suggests, what are some of the dial options for cartel 1680's with the 5513 size dial opening.

I have a very very nice red sub, however I do get a little anxious walking around with a 20k rep. I would like to swap it out with a white dial.

Trunk12

Horology Curious
1/2/15
Option 1 : Get a gen spec dial at 26.5mm and shave it down to 26mm to fit the cartel 5513 case. ( there are always " refinished " dials on the bay for around £100 )
Option 2 :Get a gen spec dial and put the case on a lathe and take a thousandth of an inch off the dial seat and dial window ( this gives a better look than option 1)
Option 3: Punt for a white 1680 cartel dial on the forum ( its usually the first thing that goes when peeps mod 1680s)

In an ideal world, one of the factories will eventually produce a case with a 26.5 dial seat and we won't have to pay a pretty penny to modestly improve the look of a stock 1680. I have in my time turned both dial and case to mush in my endeavours.

Good luck!

silentflight

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/6/13
That's for the reply!

I am considering taking the case to a machine shop. Do you imagine most shops could do it?

Trunk12

Horology Curious
1/2/15
That's a good question.
The 1680 is such an iconic watch and very sought after by vintage watch collectors, It really bugs me that the rep makers just haven't come up with an accurate reproduction yet! It's probably one of the most difficult and expensive reps to mod , and rarely does it look even remotely accurate.
I have access to a lathe and have tried to shave the dial seat down with mixed results.
The dial opening is the trickiest part to get right...it has a slight angle which really takes some skill to get right.
I also have searched for local machine workshops and engineering workshops locally to me, and drawn a blank.
I am firmly of the opinion now, that after all the money spent and wasted trying to machine these cartel cases into taking gen spec dials, that you are financially better off saving for a yuki case set or Vietnam case set that is able to take a gen spec dial without machining the case , and just working on the lugs and crown guards,just my opinion!
Ive always hankered after a good 1680 and when money permits, I intend to invest in one of the more expensive case sets; I wouldn't hesitate to say that it is an investment as you will always make your money back on an accurate 1680 build .
Thats my two cents worth anyway!

Reactions: silentflight

silentflight

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/6/13
For sure. The yuki is my next option.

I love 5513 but I find myself really missing the date.

What are the current Vietnam makers?

connie

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
1/3/16
Maybe a stupid question but what kind of dial is needed to get a perfectly horizontaly centered date on those cartel ?

silentflight

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/6/13
Maybe a stupid question but what kind of dial is needed to get a perfectly horizontaly centered date on those cartel ?

Any gen spec dial with a properly fitted DWO.