• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JKF 5513 Crystal types

-prick

15/1/17
I am looking for a replacement crystal and need your help

I found this pic of the 3 types of crystals used in 5513/7928 subs
t19-002.jpg

as far as I understand the stock jkf crystal could be described as superdome crystal, correct?
although i dig the distortion the stock jfk crystal makes.. its waaaay too high.
so the other options would be "normal/dome crystal" and "service dome"

Now.. ofrei, clark, sternkreuz/cousinsuk sell aftermarket T-19 crystals
seeing those different shaped crystals without the rest of the watch makes it really hard for me.

I would prefer my watch to be slim, so the crystal to be quite flat - but wouldnt that kill the cool distortion effect too?? what would be the best combination of those two aspects?

jalepro

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/8/16
Hey Bro,

I used a Tropical 39 service dome from cousins uk on my jfk 5514. The width is just on par with the jfk retainer and rehaut ring. Its damn sturdy, beefy, swiss made for under 6 pounds and crystal clear. The freaky distorsion of the jfk superdome was disturbing me a lot and so I chose the service dome, which is domed aswell, but not doomed like the horrible superdome lense from jfk.

For it to be more slim, I filed down the rehaut a mm (more and the hands hit the crystal). Then I filed the bottom of the crystal, so the thin rim on the bottom is just on par with the risen rehaut ring. Now its much slimmer. See the result in my cheapie 5514 thread a bit below.

If that is still to high for you (t39 is for the sea dweller), use the t19 service dome. Same shape, but flatter. The jfk assembly needs a bit of rework then. NCRich (the man!) used that on his 5514 and can advise. He helped me recently with the crystal decision.

Hope that helps
J.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The JK/Cartel crystal is pure crap, throw it out. Clarks makes something that looks vaguely like a T19 dome, most other copies are closer to service crystals.

-prick

15/1/17
Hey Bro,

I used a Tropical 39 service dome from cousins uk on my jfk 5514. The width is just on par with the jfk retainer and rehaut ring. Its damn sturdy, beefy, swiss made for under 6 pounds and crystal clear. The freaky distorsion of the jfk superdome was disturbing me a lot and so I chose the service dome, which is domed aswell, but not doomed like the horrible superdome lense from jfk.

For it to be more slim, I filed down the rehaut a mm (more and the hands hit the crystal). Then I filed the bottom of the crystal, so the thin rim on the bottom is just on par with the risen rehaut ring. Now its much slimmer. See the result in my cheapie 5514 thread a bit below.

If that is still to high for you (t39 is for the sea dweller), use the t19 service dome. Same shape, but flatter. The jfk assembly needs a bit of rework then. NCRich (the man!) used that on his 5514 and can advise. He helped me recently with the crystal decision.

Hope that helps
J.

wow dude, thanks for your infos!
very nice watch you made, i cant wait to start working on mine

The JK/Cartel crystal is pure crap, throw it out. Clarks makes something that looks vaguely like a T19 dome, most other copies are closer to service crystals.

so basically clarks t19 is the way to go, if i want that classic dome look and should fit cartel case without mods?

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
wow dude, thanks for your infos!
very nice watch you made, i cant wait to start working on mine

From what I've read this is correct

so basically clarks t19 is the way to go, if i want that classic dome look and should fit cartel case without mods?

jalepro

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/8/16
Trip is right as always(could it be anyting other than that?! Lol)... but be aware of that freaky magnification effect on the top side of the rehaut ring that comes withe clarks t19 dome. This appears due to the curvation of the clarks xtal.

See this thread:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/t19-clarks-tropic-crystal.356653/

They show another similarly flat xtal that has no magnification on the outer rim.

...just saying.

(Edit: I use the service dome and file the curvation of the crystal edge by myself with a 4 phase nail buffer. No change on the clear view and bo distorsion)

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Nice thread, do you have some pics from the side profile. So a pic directly to the crown to see the height and crystal profile. Thanks