• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A/6538 Military Submariner with Burford dial

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I'm still not ready to create a real thread about that build cause I still have so many things to do on it.

But I already have achived some parts of that project :
- graft a new rehaut on a Silix 6538 case so that it can now take a 5513 bezel assembly ... DONE :matty:
- design a new "tropical" A/6538 Burford dial ... more credible that my first attempts ... DONE :matty:

I'm now working on a custom bezel, but here is a teaser :hehehe: hope you'll like it

View attachment 102068

Reactions: C Master

jdog111578

Renowned Member
17/1/14
Very nice. I made a 5512 Burford Mil-Sub version some months back and sold it. Worst decision ever!!!

Good luck!

p9MXPQa.jpg

oDK4Xx7.jpg

YeMsv2E.jpg

zNGbsh3.jpg

~jase

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks for subscribing to my thread :bounce:

Some members on another forum wanted to know how I made so here are some details about that build.

I already had designed a very crispy Burford dial some months ago, using both Photoshop and Illustrator (dozens of hours searching for good pics + dozens of hours working on the design using a 5000ppi definition).

That design was black and withe only and done for a standard Silix case using a 29mm dial so I :

1 - resized everything using Illustrator so the design could fit a 26mm dial (25.8mm exactly as the Burdford dials where supposed to be reprinted on on 6538 Gilt dials)

2 - spent dozens of hours (again) using Photoshop to design a "blank" tropical 26mm dial

3 - copied the white parts of the first design and pasted that on the "tropical" design

4 - printed on clear decal paper and protected with 2 coats of matte varnish

5 - prepared a 26mm dial with a "cream" paint ... randomly applied so that some areas where more or less clear or dark ... then sanded finely to get an almost smooth surface (not perfect)

6 - applied the decal on the dial and sprayed 2 coats of matte varnish ... each coat dried for about 24 hours

7 - sprayed a 3rd coat of matte varnish and used an hairdryer spo that the varnish dried faster on some areas

8 - sprayed a 4th coat of matte varnish and used the hairdryer again

ET VOILA ...

Now the next fun part of that build will be to put a 25.8mm dial in a modded 6538 midcase with a 26mm case opening
biggrin.png
WITHOUT holding it with a Gen movement

It could be, theoretically, impossible ...

But there are ways, you know, and I have a few more tricks up my sleeves and ...

THAT is another part of the story that I still have to write ... just hope you liked this one

cosmic2000

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
30/4/16
Germany
Thanks for subscribing to my thread :bounce:

Some members on another forum wanted to know how I made so here are some details about that build.

I already had designed a very crispy Burford dial some months ago, using both Photoshop and Illustrator (dozens of hours searching for good pics + dozens of hours working on the design using a 5000ppi definition).

That design was black and withe only and done for a standard Silix case using a 29mm dial so I :

1 - resized everything using Illustrator so the design could fit a 26mm dial (25.8mm exactly as the Burdford dials where supposed to be reprinted on on 6538 Gilt dials)

2 - spent dozens of hours (again) using Photoshop to design a "blank" tropical 26mm dial

3 - copied the white parts of the first design and pasted that on the "tropical" design

4 - printed on clear decal paper and protected with 2 coats of matte varnish

5 - prepared a 26mm dial with a "cream" paint ... randomly applied so that some areas where more or less clear or dark ... then sanded finely to get an almost smooth surface (not perfect)

6 - applied the decal on the dial and sprayed 2 coats of matte varnish ... each coat dried for about 24 hours

7 - sprayed a 3rd coat of matte varnish and used an hairdryer spo that the varnish dried faster on some areas

8 - sprayed a 4th coat of matte varnish and used the hairdryer again

ET VOILA ...

Now the next fun part of that build will be to put a 25.8mm dial in a modded 6538 midcase with a 26mm case opening
biggrin.png
WITHOUT holding it with a Gen movement

It could be, theoretically, impossible ...

But there are ways, you know, and I have a few more tricks up my sleeves and ...

THAT is another part of the story that I still have to write ... just hope you liked this one
I can't wait!

Gesendet von meinem SM-N7505 mit Tapatalk

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I can't wait!

Gesendet von meinem SM-N7505 mit Tapatalk
Unfortunately you HAVE TO [emoji6]
I don't think I'll work a lot on watches until next January ... now I have to hunt for Christmas gifts and 2 Eves to prepare [emoji4]

Sent from the RWI App

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
More pics of the rehaut please.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
More pics of the rehaut please.
No problem
I'll take some more pics tomorrow morning cause it's late (not that much) and I've been drinking too much Port Charlotte (that much ... Islay Barley) and I've better things to do [emoji6]
See you [emoji39]

Sent from the RWI App

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
@tripdog ...
Hope that's you wanted to see
Feel free to ask more

Rehaut alone ... I made a recess so that I can put a gasket on
You see the reworked Silix case too

0df174af077375a6444d99507ec570d3.jpg

Side view of the case with the rehaut on

bed282a864931fd501e0c2cceed0c179.jpg

Silix 6538 midcase with the new rehaut already "grafted" + the T19 and the 5513 bezel assembly

8434e14f690cb990b66159835c7be881.jpg

Same midcase with the T19 and bezel assembly on ... the bezel turns perfectly

55f3d3e09a5cd3f4a71d190c9d8d7572.jpg

And that one I already posted

bfa5c291bff457d5ef848cd74bce0e97.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
So your rehaut is an "insert" into the old case that you have machined out?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
@tripdog ...
Hope that's you wanted to see
Feel free to ask more

Rehaut alone ... I made a recess so that I can put a gasket on
You see the reworked Silix case too

Side view of the case with the rehaut on

Silix 6538 midcase with the new rehaut already "grafted" + the T19 and the 5513 bezel assembly

Same midcase with the T19 and bezel assembly on ... the bezel turns perfectly

And that one I already posted

Sent from the RWI App

Very nice work !

Yes, a flanged tube basically.

mascob1

6/11/16

In fact it's an insert especially machining with CNC turning center...

rehaut.JPG

I'm sure Manodeoro will not mind me having said that...:blush2:

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
And is this simply pressed or is there some type of bonding agent applied to secure/seal?