• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 1655 build - pics heavy

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
My 1655 "Freccione" build

Hello gents :wave:

This time I was asked to build a watch I knew almost nothing about, it was the 1655 aka Steve McQueen.
It's funny collectors have been calling it this way since there's no evidence McQueen actually had one.
In Italy we call it the "freccione" or big arrow which sounds more historically correct :)
In any case it was a new project for me, a chance to learn something and push my knowledge a bit further.

As a first thing I had to choose a reference. My friend asked for something seventies, well cared, just some patina on dial and case.
I found this one on the web which seemed like a good candidate:

rolex-1655-382-z.jpg

Of course there were some compromises to accept, as usual. Impossible to find a good dial with T SWISS T inscription, bezel numbers on the rep being different and so on. But the overall look was set.

Here are the parts we chose for this project:

- 1655 cartel with a2836 movement donor watch
- New plexi from JK horological
- Raffles hands complete set
- Tonny dial from ebay. This dial was shipped the day before gan_antique disappeared from the bay and Tonny's website too so I think I should call it rare? Well, at least for now ;)

Cartel donor watch

As you can see awful orange lume, "antifog" colored GMT hand and an overall modest look. But it has potential ;)

Parts ready to be assembled:

The easiest tasks were performed on dial and hands: new dial feet, hands lightly aged and relumed.

Then I went to disassemble the case. Not much to my surprise crown tube broke while unscrewing it out. Rep tubes are total crap plus they are superglued inside the tube hole. You never know what will happen if you try to remove them.
I didn't know where to source a new one so I went McGyver style (my favourite style tbh ;))
I tried a few crowns I had and found out the 1655 crown threads were matching a cartel 1680 tube. But the tube was way too tall so I had to thin it down a lot. I also had to mod the crown neck in order to screw it completely inside the hole.
It was no joke doing it by hand and water resistance is most likely compromised since the o-rings are no longer where they are meant to be. But it worked and that's what matters in the end :)

Finally some heavy duty work was instead performed on the case.
Please, take a second look at the QC pic, check the lugs at 4 and 8 then look back at the gen reference pic. Do you see how much metal needs to be removed?
Of course while I was at it I also reshaped the CG's to an oval shape, drilled the lugs for 2mm springbars and reinforced the chamfers on the lugs.
It took a few hours to get there and there's always room for improvement but I'm happy with the result, especially because all my work is done free hand. I dont't have a watchmaker's lathe (at least until tripdog ships the one he promised to send me ;)) nor any other exotic tool. Just a dremel plus a bunch of sanding and polishing tools.

Here's the final result:

Bezel was lightly retouched in order to soften the brushing and remove a few spots of paint from the numerals.

The most visible let down is the date mag being not perfectly centered on the date window. I tried 3 different plexis and this was the better I had. At least I have to say it has a very nice tall profile too.

As a very final touch, a bit of smoothing and aging on the bracelet. Almost invisible yes, but needed to make the watch look like it's been worn before :)

Few more glam shots:

One last time :)

Gen
rolex-1655-382-z.jpg

Rep

Build

And once again that's all folks, see you soon with my next projects :)

Last edited:

Dinkis

Supporter
Certified
23/8/15
Michigan, USA
Kilo! Back in full effect! Sweet build. I think it looks bang on nice. Question - how did you soften the nasty orange original rep lume?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

interaktiv

Parts-Distributor Modder
Supporting Vendor
Vendor (Patron)
26/10/15
EU
Beautiful watch, perfect pictures, very good work !!! Thanks for the show !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rwatch0

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
12/11/16
Belgium
A true masterpiece kilo, it's beautiful! Congrats and thanks for showing it here!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Awesome work as always. You just keep improving every build. Keep them coming!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks guys!

Kilo! Back in full effect! Sweet build. I think it looks bang on nice. Question - how did you soften the nasty orange original rep lume?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A simple dial swap did the trick ;)

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Great job, another masterpiece, congrats!

Bravissimo!!!! [emoji4][emoji4]

Alcander

19/6/13
The final result is wonderful, man

Enviado desde mi SM-N9005 mediante Tapatalk

Replica01

I'm Pretty Popular
27/11/16
You build great watches!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn F5321 met Tapatalk

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Looks good - well done !

sullyz

22/8/13
Very impressive. Thank you for sharing the build in detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

It´s beautiful, Kilo - well aged in style. Great work:) Thx for all those pics and descriptions!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I can be wrong, but I like the cartel's hands better than "Raffles hands complete set".
Vito

No set is perfect and this of course makes it a matter of taste. But as for accuracy please check:
- Seconds hand " ball" placement better in raffles
- GMT hand color way better in raffles
While
- correct black matte finish on rep hour+minute hands
- better shape of black part on hour+minute

I couldn't use a gloss GMT hand and matte hour and minute so I made my choice and went for the set which had more accurate visible details, black details are almost invisible on a black dial :)

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
The only thing that jumps on my eyes is the font of the bezel that is a little different from gen.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando RWI

Buddhabar

I'm Pretty Popular
20/8/13
Sardinia Island
If I think you just saw Panerai world ... now I just have to really get my compliments for a piece not easy to accomplish like that of 1655. You're a great one. :applause:

Se penso che prima vedevi solo mondo Panerai...ora ho solo da farti davvero i miei complimenti per un pezzo non facile da realizzare come quello del 1655. Sei un grande.

:applause::applause: