• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 6538 silix build

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
plexy was not sitting properly, silix cases take 30,8 mm plexy glasses so got one of those generic that really make the difference

I’m working on sourcing materials for a similar build - where I’m getting stuck is the crystal replacement. I want to swap in a T19 crystal (Clark’s, SK, etc) but I’m not sure which 6538 case will accept the gen spec aftermarket tropic 19. I’m currently between Silix case 5 or HR 6538 case. Can you elaborate on the crystal issues you had and how you resolved it? Did you happen to measure the OD of the rehaute?

The build I'm currently thinking:

- Silix, HR, or Cartel Case and Case Back

- Aftermarket Tropic 19 Crystal (Clarks, Ofrei, Sternkreuz, etc)

- WSO 1665 Bezel Assembly (planning to reshape to approximate the German silver bezels)

- Custom Burford dial (another member of another forum)

- ETA2840

- Athaya 800 Crown and Tube (plus stem adapter)

- Aftermarket hand set (Ofrei, Raffles, etc)

- Ernst Westfall military insert (eBay seller)

- WSO 2mm spring bars (until I figure out how to fix the bars - maybe soldering?)

- Reshaping, luming, and assembly by yours truly

- Case engraving...I still need to figure that one out...

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I’m working on sourcing materials for a similar build - where I’m getting stuck is the crystal replacement. I want to swap in a T19 crystal (Clark’s, SK, etc) but I’m not sure which 6538 case will accept the gen spec aftermarket tropic 19. I’m currently between Silix case 5 or HR 6538 case. Can you elaborate on the crystal issues you had and how you resolved it? Did you happen to measure the OD of the rehaute?

The build I'm currently thinking:

- Silix, HR, or Cartel Case and Case Back

- Aftermarket Tropic 19 Crystal (Clarks, Ofrei, Sternkreuz, etc)

- WSO 1665 Bezel Assembly (planning to reshape to approximate the German silver bezels)

- Custom Burford dial (another member of another forum)

- ETA2840

- Athaya 800 Crown and Tube (plus stem adapter)

- Aftermarket hand set (Ofrei, Raffles, etc)

- Ernst Westfall military insert (eBay seller)

- WSO 2mm spring bars (until I figure out how to fix the bars - maybe soldering?)

- Reshaping, luming, and assembly by yours truly

- Case engraving...I still need to figure that one out...

Hi buddy ...
on Silix cases the dial opening (inner diameter of the rehaut) is too large
to take a gen-specs Burford dial.
A/6538 dials are 26mm (or 27) and Silix's dial opening is 29mm (dial seat is 29,2mm).
On HR cases the rehaut is OK (as far as I know) but the case is too "fat" IMHO.
For my A/6538 build I have modded a Silix case ... shaved the existing rehaut and pressed a new one on, more gen-specs, so that it can take my 26mm Burford dial.
I made a topic about that build (still unfinished) on RWI.
I'll probably finish it next week and post the final pics there.
The bars are NOT springbars but fixed bars ... 1.7 or 2mm plain stainless steel bars ... you have to drill the lugs a 1/100 of a mm smaller than the bars, press the bars through the lugs holes then cut the bars and sand everything smooth.
BTW ... I already posted some pics of my case and caseback DIY engravings ... not perfect but not bad at all.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk