• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 6538 silix build

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
Specs:

Silix case 6538
Athaya Brevet crown and tube
Swiss 2836 movement
Tiger concept second hand
Clarks vintage Tudor hands set
Helenarou 6538 dial
Sternkreuz ST19
Rivet bracelet
Nato RAF
Fat Springbars

Done thus far:
case tapped to accept Athaya crown and tube, lug holes drilled to accept fat spring bars, lugs hand chamfered, plexy trimmed.

pending to do:
Relume 3 hands and dial to match, modify bezel shape to slim and change profile, age the insert install Athayas pearl with matching lume, remove engravings and engrave with better fonts, make a true gilt 4 liner solid gold dial.

I wanna say thanx to many members that helped me out with tips and sharing knowledge and with their posts, hope its doesn't bother since it's an often seen build thread, prices are by memory to encourage other members to try their builds.

so the pics:
Silix disassembly
GAK9147.jpg

Drilling and tapping the case and lug holes
Q5aEkvn.jpg

Athayas crown and tube ready to install
aBQR0oP.jpg

crown replaced
6bXrEu1.jpg

Chamfering the lugs
Zj6fCPQ.jpg

some polishing and not chamfering the lug holes
ORb6ak1.jpg

Lug holes not chamfered
HrFGR2Q.jpg

To be continued....

Last edited:

Drummania

Renowned Member
8/6/12
Amazing case work there!

Does HR make 29mm true gilt dial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
Amazing case work there!
Does HR make 29mm true gilt dial?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you drummania, i will be using your dial for now! tyvm but i will make ( the true gilt) with decal as Bart cordell from a sterile or regular one removing all (still trying and learning),

i will post pictures with your dial (its amazing btw, pictures dont reflect the work of big dazza thanks for your help with the dial)

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
Im trying to reshape the bezel profile, i dont have a lathe but i think i can use the drill press to do this, any ideas to attach the bezel to a drill bit?

Rocky Mountain Region

Patron
29/6/16
How is this project coming? I am considering a similar, but less ambitious project. Basically I'd like to take an HR 6538 build and put it in a Silix case.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
Hello

I will update laters today I hope, I did service the movement and took pictures of that, got a bracelet and fat spring bars (need to mod endlinks this cause they don't fit )
plexy was not sitting properly, silix cases take 30,8 mm plexy glasses so got one of those generic that really make the difference
pending:
-Modding the bezel
-Vintagize the bezel insert remove silix pearl add the athaya pearl
-relume hands, dial, bezel pearl to match all
-trying to find an vintage white paint tone to paint the seconds hand

While modding the case I did move the athaya tube so now the crown fully in has a tilted position so need to adjust that too

bny107

Known Member
8/3/17
Where can I buy the silicone case

Athaya crown

Tiger concept second hand

Would you share the website for us?

Regards

從我的iPhone使用RWI 發送

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
:ttiwwop:......;)

Here it is, I have been very busy IRL and selling some pieces to fund other projects
check lugs chamfering
I still want to mod the bezel, i just can't adapt yet a chuck jaw to my column drill but i will
hope you guys like the shoots been hunting a reflex cam to capture smaller details like LEC
smaller things get blurried with my normal camera.

bzQZA.jpg

bz1xT.jpg

bzUFQ.jpg

bznJf.jpg

bzMXX.jpg

bzs2p.jpg

bz9us.jpg

bzPFh.jpg

bzfQD.jpg

bz8tU.jpg

bzi28.jpg

bzTu3.jpg

bzhSb.jpg

bzjQ2.jpg

bzHtd.jpg

bzX9Z.jpg

bz46R.jpg

bzmSg.jpg

bzAQa.jpg

bbD3y.jpg

bbu9G.jpg

bbK6q.jpg

Reactions: 369mafia

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
absolutely amazing work.......trying some aging myself but looking at this, I am gonna spend this weekend on redoing my projects....:cry2:

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
absolutely amazing work.......trying some aging myself but looking at this, I am gonna spend this weekend on redoing my projects....:cry2:

hey thank you very much, don't forget to share share pics!

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Just finished some home made vintage leather straps I made last few weeks for my 5513's and 7928's so now back to the drawingboard for aging cases, bezels, dails and hands .....here's an example of one of my first "aged" 7928 with my first strap project...vintage Rolex buckles are on the way to complete the project
Still need to work on the case and the bezel on this one(after seeing your 6538)...lol
your opinion is highly appreciated...

bbjYs.jpg

bbfTA.jpg

bbi4f.jpg

bb7Kp.jpg

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
Just finished some home made vintage leather straps I made last few weeks for my 5513's and 7928's so now back to the drawingboard for aging cases, bezels, dails and hands .....here's an example of one of my first "aged" 7928 with my first strap project...vintage Rolex buckles are on the way to complete the project
Still need to work on the case and the bezel on this one(after seeing your 6538)...lol
your opinion is highly appreciated...

Very nice build, there are 3 mods that may seem simple but they change completely the look fo the rep cases:
- Gen/Athaya crown replacement
- Drilling lugs
-Change crystals

even a cheap clarks/sterncreutz plexy gives lots of life to the dial, very very nice piece my friend the strap its really nice, did you do it from 0?
cheers

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
cheers D, already have a Sternkreuz plexi and got me a cheap co;umn drill for the lug hole mod...Will look for the Athaya crown, do I need to replace the tube then?

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
cheers D, already have a Sternkreuz plexi and got me a cheap co;umn drill for the lug hole mod...Will look for the Athaya crown, do I need to replace the tube then?

Athaya crown will not work with the rep tube, so you need the athaya crown and tube set, for new cartel cases no retapping is needed old ones yes, don't forget the cutting oil and drilling lugs too.

François.Fillon

Renowned Member
19/11/16
Nice work Dave especially on lugs chamfering.
May be the lug holes are drilled too large, have you used the correct drill bits like 1.25/1.3 mm ? 1.5mm is too much.
Otherwise, very nice build !

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
Nice work Dave especially on lugs chamfering.
May be the lug holes are drilled too large, have you used the correct drill bits like 1.25/1.3 mm ? 1.5mm is too much.
Otherwise, very nice build !

This build was based on a build of modder called Kime
he made bigger holes for other spring bars and I really liked the final result, so did it his way.

I do have 1,25 drill bits (Gen) and 1,3 mm too, used those ones at the 5513 (1,3) I did not chamfer the holes

I recently made blind holes for a used cheap non rolex rep case to practice, i wanna drill my beloved BP 16600