• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cartel 1675 Cases vs. Vietnam Gen-Spec Cases : A Photo Comparison

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
Thats not a michael young bezel. Looks like a straight clarks to me. vertical sides and shallow scallops.

thats not a 5mm crown, they never had any 5mm crowns. Thats a 6mm crown. Not sure if its gen or not. Looks fake to me from crown.

tonny long e dial, hands are ok. lume is nicely matched.

CGs look reworked, but case looks stock to me.

Ls2851

23/6/16
Thats not a michael young bezel. Looks like a straight clarks to me. vertical sides and shallow scallops.

thats not a 5mm crown, they never had any 5mm crowns. Thats a 6mm crown. Not sure if its gen or not. Looks fake to me from crown.

tonny long e dial, hands are ok. lume is nicely matched.

CGs look reworked, but case looks stock to me.

b40302e58abe361d72ae4b97fd6d63e1.jpg
Thanks! I measured a second time and it's like 5.8mm

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Explorer1016

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
21/10/15
The Vietnam case look abslolutely better!
Now i have a cartel 1675 already built. Where i could find one of this cases to replace my cartel one?

D

d4m.test

Great thread @yodog! I can see why you’re the 1675 Master! BTW, really like your engraving between the lugs! So nicely cut and gen-like!! Do only the cartels have that terrible laser etched serial# engraving? It’s a huge turn-off to me whenever I see it- like a big sign that says “fake”. . .

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
?? I just said I have an ETA in my case. They do fit but a custom spacer is required

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Do you sell these spacers? Im making a shopping list for my 1675 hehe!

I found some spacers at RT, on paper they should do the trick. Outside matches gen 1570 movement diameter, so should fit in the case. Inside matches 2836 diameter...

Also, Im checking out some cases. Is Jensen the best, or is a MQ about the same?

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
great write up..you can clearly see the difference..this should be a sticky

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
yodog Now that I see this thread coming back up - I'm curious - have you revisited your analysis with newer Cartel cases? I've just recently been working on a mid-2018 Cartel 1675 and a few things jump out at me:
- The dial on my Cartel 1675 does sit higher than my JK Factory 1680 Sub. Probably 1mm higher (although I haven't measured). I wonder if they've modified the cases to allow the dial to sit higher.
- With a RT flat case back and 25-116 Clarks crystal the overall height is 14.2mm. I'm curious how this compares with previous Cartel models, Vietnam cases, and gen. I know I've read it somewhere but I cannot seem to dig up the information now....EDIT: Found it: https://rwg.cc/topic/145589-gens-1675-16750-case-design-compared-with-1655-11/
- I think one of the frustrating differences that tripdog has talked about extensively is the bezel. The Cartel and eBay replacements just don't do it. A Vietnam bezel would make a big aesthetic difference.
- Finally, where do you think most of the thickness is coming from, case, crystal, or case back? Even with the flat base back, I wish the watch wore slimmer/flatter to my wrist. This leads me to think the case back could use some thinning. Looking at it, I bet 1mm could be shaved off the flange that compresses against the case (if I can figure that one out, I'll give it a try).
Anyways, this is a great thread and a great comparison/analysis. Thanks for doing it.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Well, i can answer part of my own question. I measured my Cartel 1675 when I got home tonite.
Case at 3 is 5.08mm
Case at 9 is 5.11mm
Crystal is 5.60mm
Overall height is 14.2mm
That leaves 3.5mm for the caseback.
If a gen measures in at 4.5mm at the case and 12.8mm overall then one would need to find 1.4mm to carve away.
Assuming Clarks got the crystal height right and the case is .6mm thicker, that leaves .8mm to come out of the case back.
While it wouldn’t ever be perfect it’s be nice to find a way to slim up the case back for a lower profile when wearing.

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
yeah but NOS gen 1675s out of the factory had thickness somewhere in between viet cases and the ones you see for sale. That one you linked has been polished multiple times. If you look at unpolished cases they are much thicker than that.

what bothers me the most about these viet cases is that the underside of the CGs are way too fat, so I've been reshaping that portion which is fairly simple to do. what I can't still work are the lugs, the top part of the lugs need to slope down more and is much thinner.

Matt5513

9/3/18
Where is it possible to buy a nice GMT rep? I'm more then satisfied with a JK 1680 from TrustyTime, but it seems impossible to buy a 1675. Thank you :)