• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What are "Vietnam dials"?

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
I've gone inside before too. That storefront is usually for second hand used mid tier watches, they had some cool stuff like some vintage rolex in the front window but who knows if its fake or gen. All of their replica stuff is not in the storefront. This was back in 2014

est4129

Supporter
15/9/18
It looks like most of the dials at the "better" sites (Jewelryandwatch and Rubys) are made to fit gen movements (caliber 1030). Are people cutting the feet on these to use with ETA movements?

I am looking for a dial for a 6538.

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
It looks like most of the dials at the "better" sites (Jewelryandwatch and Rubys) are made to fit gen movements (caliber 1030). Are people cutting the feet on these to use with ETA movements?

I am looking for a dial for a 6538.

Yes, dial feet get cut to use with an ETA. You can sometimes fashion a spacer or modify the movement to keep the gen-spec dial feet intact but cutting the feet is by far the most common method.

Keep in mind that your dial also needs to match your case: many 6538 cases that don't specify "gen-spec" take larger dials. A gen-spec dial will fall through the dial opening on a case that's made to take a larger dial.

est4129

Supporter
15/9/18
Does a silix case accept a gen spec dial? How about a MBW (this is not a for a 6538)?

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
Edit : woops, didn’t see I already ask that a few weeks before

Last edited:

rollie_collector

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/18
Really interesting read and explains why one of the dials on a watch I purchased as a gen does not appear to have a dial that is equally genuine :)

Drr80

Renowned Member
12/2/18
El paso, TX
My grandfather used to get dials from Charlie's up in the trees. Also they were made in underground tunnel so rolex couldn't find them. Dial buyers seen some shit man. It was crazy you youngsters and your internet's don't know how good you have it now.

AntonioT

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/8/15
British Columbia
9DNKMwmv
sorry guys if my post is unrelated but i got this idea of replacing the horrible dial on a JKF seadweller COMEX with this one...
the second photo shows the backside... considering the feet placement, will it fit the Asian 2813 i have in my JK ?
9DNKMwmv

s-l1600.jpg

qualityazn

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
11/3/18
Hi all, I just got quoted $1000USD for a silver big red 6263 dial from MQ is that outrageous?

qualityazn

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
11/3/18
is it possible for me to counteroffer or does it not work like that? If so, what is a reasonable counter offer? Sorry never bought one direct from MQ

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
is it possible for me to counteroffer or does it not work like that? If so, what is a reasonable counter offer? Sorry never bought one direct from MQ

The general consensus is that MQ sources dials the same way Phong, Ruby and other dealers do. But some of the more experienced modders/builders here like yodog tripdog kilowattore TheSociety dbane883 slay cut out the middleman and can also (sometimes) get custom features on dials.

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
MQ's client base used to be gen collectors and owners, which is why his pricing is so much higher. In recent years there has been more widespread knowledge of the existence of these parts, therefore it has trickled down to the price ranges of rep collectors and builders. All this means is that the same stuff that MQ sells, he has been doing so at a huge premium for years and years. The stuff is exactly the same to a certain aspect - the material and prints are all the same, but MQ probably has first pick of the dials that these artisans in Vietnam make. Quality also differs, but are very minute. It is still a mysterious business in some way. Prices have settled down to around $200 - $400 on average, while MQ's high prices have not yet changed.

qualityazn

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
11/3/18
Thanks for the insight all, I’ll look somewhere else like Ruby’s. My untrained eyes won’t be able to justify the 2-3x markup!