• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What are "Vietnam dials"?

jdog111578

Renowned Member
17/1/14
I agree they're superior to Yuki & Fong. What are your feelings on The Society's dials? Or Tripdog's?

As far as I know, and I won't speak out of turn as I respect and worked with both of them at some point as have most modders on here, is that there are different levels to a dial and what they use on individual builds. They may relume or age etc a dial, but I don't believe either of them are actually making they're own so they are just sourcing like the rest of us.

1. Cartel's , BP etc. You're lowest wrung and cheap
2. HR/Yuki- $100-$120 give or take and just a notch above the rep factories.
3. Phong/Jensen $200 plus and really IMO not much better than Yuki
4. Vietnam or Ebay, whatever you want to call them (Where most of Tripdog, The Society, all of us etc get them) $200 give or take and prob the top of the heap before MQ
5. MQ The best of bunch IMO. Generally $300 (Just got a quote on a 5513 last night) up to $1000 + depending on which one etc.
6 DarkLord- You won't see much of them around and those of us who have them, will NEVER get rid of them unless its a dire situation (And only certain dials). Im not even going to put a price tag on these, just know they are in some cases as expensive as gen, but not a gen dial you can find, hence why they appeared.
7. Gen (obvious)

Ill chime in here as I feel Ive been around long enough and done enough to do so. Everyone has a different opinion and budget for that matter, for what they want. If you are using a gen movement, the only option in my opinion is MQ. Outside of gen. Everything else comes down to budget and what you're trying to accomplish. If you want something thats a bit better than stock with some small mods, 702 crown, Yuki insert etc, go with a $200 Vietnam dial. Widely available and look the part mostly. If you're going for a serious build, a convincing build, you can go gen or MQ. Thats it. At the end of the day Ive done builds that were $5k with mostly gen parts, and Ive done some at $500 with a couple minor aftermarket parts and were obviously less convincing.

Back on topic, dials vary greatly, even in the gen world. At the end of the day YOU need to look at it everyday, and IF youre trying to pass off as gen, you're fooling yourself. A rep is that and will always be that,... a rep. No matter how good that is or how much is gen vs/rep aftermarket.

Here is how I rate a dial in order of importance to ME. All in accuracy of how it is to the gen Im comparing to.
1. Lume-Correct powdery-looking (Low profile, not raised much, but will look higher on early 5508, 6538 gilt etc), or is it looking like little glob of sugar crystals. Those you see on Vietnam dials.
2. Font (Size, shape, correctness)
3.Lume plot size-Too long, skinny, fat etc. Varies widely depending on the model
4. Rolex coronet shape and size. Sometimes obvious sometimes not so much.
5. Color-Pretty self explanatory

Rant over, Im going to grab another coffee.

JERhoudin

Certified
13/5/16
As far as I know, and I won't speak out of turn as I respect and worked with both of them at some point as have most models on here, is that there are different levels to a dial and what they use on individual builds. They make relume or age etc a dial, but I don't believe either of them are actually making they're own so they are just sourcing like the rest of us.

1. Cartel's , BP etc. You're lowest wrung and cheap
2. HR/Yuki- $100-$120 give or take and just a notch above the rep factories.
3. Phong/Jensen $200 plus and really IMO not much better than Yuki
4. Vietnam or Ebay, whatever you want to call them (Where most of Tripdog, The Society, all of us etc get them) $200 give or take and prob the top of the heap before MQ
5. MQ The best of bunch IMO. Generally $300 (Just got a quote on a 5513 last night) up to $1000 + depending on which one etc.
6 DarkLord- You won't see much of them around and those of us who have them, will NEVER get rid of them unless its a dire situation (And only certain dials). Im not even going to put a price tag on these, just know they are in some cases as expensive as gen, but not a gen dial you can find, hence why they appeared.
7. Gen (obvious)

Ill chime in here as I feel Ive been around long enough and done enough to do so. Everyone has a different opinion and budget for that matter, for what they want. If you are using a gen movement, the only option in my option is MQ. Outside of gen. Everything else comes down to budget and what you're trying to accomplish. If you want something thats a bit better than stock with some small mods, 702 crown, Yuki insert etc, go with a $200 Vietnam dial. Widely available and look the part mostly. If you're going for a serious build, a convincing build, you can go gen or MQ. Thats it. At the end of the day Ive done builds that were $5k with mostly gen parts, and Ive done some at $500 with a couple minor aftermarket parts and were obviously less convincing.

Back on topic, dials vary greatly, even in the gen world. At the end of the day YOU need to look at it everyday, and IF youre trying to pass off as gen, you're fooling yourself. A rep is that and will always be that a rep. No matter how good that is.

Here is how I rate a dial in order of importance to ME. All in accuracy of how it is to the gen Im comparing to.
1. Lume-Correctly powdery-looking (Low profile, not raised much, but will look higher on early 5508, 6538 gilt etc), or little glob of sugar crystals.
2. Font (Size, shape, correctness)
3.Lume plot size-Too long, skinny, fat etc. Varies widely depending on the model
4. Rolex coronet shape and size. Sometimes obvious sometimes not so much.
5. Color-Pretty self explanatory

Rant over, Im going to grab another coffee.
Great rant! Highly educational & insightful. Grab a double shot of espresso instead, there's always more for us to learn...

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
As we speak about "Vietnam dials" here ...
Does anyone of you have a contact in Vietnam ?
Next year I'll have the opportunity to spend some weeks there so I would be really interested to meet with some case makers and/or dial makers.
No that I would really expect to do any trading or so but I would like to see how they work.

Asmodeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/4/15
As we speak about "Vietnam dials" here ...
Does anyone of you have a contact in Vietnam ?
Next year I'll have the opportunity to spend some weeks there so I would be really interested to meet with some case makers and/or dial makers.
No that I would really expect to do any trading or so but I would like to see how they work.
If your last name isn't Nguyen don't expect them meeting you. You're a laowai.

rails

Horology Curious
5/6/16
5e276f917be075690ef9ad1d00544b11.png

Here is a dial I am looking for from Ruby, for a SCG project I’m sourcing for, in “brown”.

You’ll notice one lume dot is damaged, she has offered to relume, and I believe her brother may do this work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
If your last name isn't Nguyen don't expect them meeting you. You're a laowai.

My name is Phu Si :bleh:
and I have studied Võ-Viêtnam (the art was called that Vi?t Võ Ð?o at that time) during 10 years with master Pham Xuân Tong so be nice with me :bash:

and BTW, "laowai" is chinese mandarin, not vietnamese ... the correct term is "ngo?i qu?c"

Reactions: LuminorReptar

Asmodeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/4/15
My name is Phu Si :bleh:
and I have studied Võ-Viêtnam (the art was called that Vi?t Võ Ð?o at that time) during 10 years with master Pham Xuân Tong so be nice with me :bash:

and BTW, "laowai" is chinese mandarin, not vietnamese ... the correct term is "ngo?i qu?c"
Spot on! I didn't know the Viet term for laowai hehe

Reactions: Arigab

eddy@manu

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/1/17
Here is my experience in dealing with Ruby.

I have purchased a few items from her in person last year. She is a nice person to deal with. She said she could make me any dial if I provided an example photo. I asked her once to make a different version of a dial for me but never came through in getting it completed blamed it on her supplier.

Her dials are good but some had flaws, the lume flaked off and was missing on some parts. So it is a hit or miss. Ask for detailed QC photos, and lumed shots as well.

The good thing is if she has what you want it is a value buy.

The bad.
She doesn’t have/know technical details about the products she sells, she gets a limited supply whenever she goes back home. She forwards any questions to her source for answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thank you very much, comparing with her I realized her inexperience.
he's also very careless, he loaded me $ 200 into my paypal account by mistake, of course I'll give you back

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

bny107

Known Member
8/3/17
$750 for a rep dial?!?!? Wow that seems like a lot... How do they age a dial for 2 years? What exactly is the process... Do you just print it and stick it in the backyard?? Let it age like fine wine? Maybe you can try blowing cigar smoke on it? I read that works too..
hahhaha like smoke ham in China

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
bny107;n7053182 [url said:
www.jewelryandwatch.com/contents/en-us/d84.html[/url]

Phong's eBay listings say he's unavailable until October 13. It could be related to Rolex's lawsuit against his son Jensen and Jensen's company (www.vintagewatchmaker.com, which has been down over two weeks). I'd want solid confirmation that JAW is a functioning entity before placing an order with Phong.

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Well, this thread was quite an interesting read :megalol:

I guess the main takeaway for me was that if you want nice looking, get a vietnam dial, and if you want something more accurate, special, or out of the ordinary, either have a connection in Indochina, learn to print it yourself, or prepare to be bent over by MQ.

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Phong's eBay listings say he's unavailable until October 13. It could be related to Rolex's lawsuit against his son Jensen and Jensen's company (www.vintagewatchmaker.com, which has been down over two weeks). I'd want solid confirmation that JAW is a functioning entity before placing an order with Phong.

More like 5 weeks! I even emailed them, no reply. So I ended up buying a case from MQ...

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
Expect to pay $250-$350 for less common Daytona or Gilt dials. $150 to $250 for simpler prints such as run of the mill matte 1680s 1675s, etc. Sometimes they run eBay auctions which can end much less than these prices stated. Again, nothing is RARE, they can literally print it. Its a matter of it they have it in stock, or have to order it from the maker. There is no elusive magical elf in Vietnam that does this by hand.

Also, Yuki dials are shit. Really.

Ow, i was intersted by is Tudor submariner date blue dial.

It's the only i've found with a bevelled date window. What would be your advice for a nice tudor dial ?

Thanks !

bugse

Horology Curious
9/8/18
So I have read all this, but cant find out actally where to buy them??? Anyone?