• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Let's talk vintage Daytonas with TheSociety & Friends!

PhilX01

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/8/21
No probs, and I've replied to your PM with the details. The strap was made for me by Tango over on RWG.bz. See this thread for her work (link goes to where she posted progress on my strap, but I recommend taking a look through the rest of the thread to see lots of examples of her great skills).

https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/...tango/&page=20

Hello I am interested as well. Would be great if you can drop me a PM too. Thanks in advance

PhilX01

25/8/21
[mention]p0pperini [/mention] I am interested too. Thanks

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Hello I am interested as well. Would be great if you can drop me a PM too. Thanks in advance
The only information in addition to the link I shared was that I discussed the design of the strap with Tango via PM - giving her the required shape and dimensions. Which was pretty easy, as I wanted exactly the same style bund as Hodinkee sell on their site, which is a very close copy of the original worn by Paul Newman.

Reactions: PhilX01

PhilX01

25/8/21
The only information in addition to the link I shared was that I discussed the design of the strap with Tango via PM - giving her the required shape and dimensions. Which was pretty easy, as I wanted exactly the same style bund as Hodinkee sell on their site, which is a very close copy of the original worn by Paul Newman.

[mention]p0pperini [/mention] I have seen the article you which you have written previously regarding vintage daytona with illustrations.

How far off are the ruby’s daytona dial compared to gen from your opinion?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
How far off are the ruby’s daytona dial compared to gen from your opinion?
I have no way to compare Ruby's dials with gen except by checking against photos, because unlike some people **cough** PhilX01 **cough** I don't have gens lying around... Still, I think Penguine's summary was spot on: Ruby's dial printing isn't as fine as MQ's. I can confirm this from comparing my Slay build (MQ) with the two Ruby dials (exotic panda and exotic reverse panda) that I own. But seen in isolation the Ruby dials are still very impressive. The Ruby dials cost me $400 each, and Slay mentions the MQ cost $450. For the price difference, it would seem like the MQ is the better option.

However, one always has to bear in mind that Rolex dials are rarely consistent, with variations occurring between batches printed (sometimes by different suppliers). So just because the MQ dials have finer print (this being most apparent on the deco style subdial printing), it doesn't mean this is necessarily closest to how all exotic dial Daytonas look. I haven't exhaustively researched the subject, so this is just a thought. I'm sure more expert members would have their own valuable insight to add on this.

If I get time, I'll post a few comparison pics between the Ruby's and MQ. I'm planning to photograph some other watches today, so I'll try to remember to squeeze these in.

Reactions: RLNW and PhilX01

PhilX01

25/8/21
I have no way to compare Ruby's dials with gen except by checking against photos, because unlike some people **cough** PhilX01 **cough** I don't have gens lying around... Still, I think Penguine's summary was spot on: Ruby's dial printing isn't as fine as MQ's. I can confirm this from comparing my Slay build (MQ) with the two Ruby dials (exotic panda and exotic reverse panda) that I own. But seen in isolation the Ruby dials are still very impressive. The Ruby dials cost me $400 each, and Slay mentions the MQ cost $450. For the price difference, it would seem like the MQ is the better option.

However, one always has to bear in mind that Rolex dials are rarely consistent, with variations occurring between batches printed (sometimes by different suppliers). So just because the MQ dials have finer print (this being most apparent on the deco style subdial printing), it doesn't mean this is necessarily closest to how all exotic dial Daytonas look. I haven't exhaustively researched the subject, so this is just a thought. I'm sure more expert members would have their own valuable insight to add on this.

If I get time, I'll post a few comparison pics between the Ruby's and MQ. I'm planning to photograph some other watches today, so I'll try to remember to squeeze these in.

MQ recently quoted just slight under $1500. Pretty steep compare to what everyone has mentioned in the past few years.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
MQ recently quoted just slight under $1500. Pretty steep compare to what everyone has mentioned in the past few years.

OW! Although before I checked Slay's sale post for my PN, I had a figure closer to $1k in mind for MQ myself. I was surprised the price was so low.

I'm not sure in that case whether regular customers with MQ qualify for a hefty discount, or whether the price might have shot up along with the price of gens. Oh, and IIRC I did get a discount from Ruby because I was buying two dials - something like $50 off each.

PhilX01

25/8/21
OW! Although before I checked Slay's sale post for my PN, I had a figure closer to $1k in mind for MQ myself. I was surprised the price was so low.

I'm not sure in that case whether regular customers with MQ qualify for a hefty discount, or whether the price might have shot up along with the price of gens. Oh, and IIRC I did get a discount from Ruby because I was buying two dials - something like $50 off each.

Tempus fugit

RolETA2824

14/8/20
EU
e099ca045970f5564017c04bc0f337db.jpg

Coconuts

20/10/21
Hi ! Amazing watchs !
Do you know a replic shop vintage please ? Thanks :)

diemuse

Patron
Certified
30/8/16
GER
230b3ad0acc6287f82ce68dcb9cca1fc.jpg

3285f3eec251e1af532c18e47ce7aa32.jpg

Dictated by me and typed by my personal assistant on my very expensive Platinum plated iPhone 13 Pro