• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Let's talk vintage Daytonas with TheSociety & Friends!

Hector-Anabasi

Known Member
26/3/18
Oslo - Norway
0e544ccb5dd0b5676468f4087d52394a.jpg

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: diemuse

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Hi ! Please who is Slay? Is a modder? The dial is from ruby? Please if you can give more info thanks ! Its very very nice !!!

Hi Morofra. Slay is a highly respected watch builder and member here on RWI. The dial is from MQ (with a gen coronet). Here is the build description that Slay detailed in his sale post:

- Case: Cartel 6239 Daytona Case w/ asymmetric pusher layout, extensively modified & re-shaped to gen specs
- Movement: Venus 175 Copy [Manual Wind Chronograph Movement], modified to accept gen-spec dial (Subdial @ 6 moved upwards & frozen)
- Dial: 6239 Paul Newmann Dial (with SINGER stamp on the dial plate) from Vietnam/MQ & Genuine Rolex Coronet @12 (this is a v72 dial with correct subdial spacing!)
- Bezel: Aftermarket Slim 6239 Steel Bezel
- Crown: Genuine Rolex 6mm) Crown
- Tube: Swiss-Made Tube (24-600)
- Hands: Custom thin sub-dial hands and custom large hour and Minute hands
- Crystal: CWP Tropic 21 Domed Acrylic Crystal
- Bracelet: rep 78350 bracelet
- Springbars: 19mm "Pin" spring bars

Mods:
- Case modded/softened/vintagized.
The case was significantly re-shaped to gen specs. In order to get this case to gen specs, about 1mm of metal had to be removed from each side of the case and they were shaped to a nice convex profile. The lugs have also been re-shaped from the top at an angle to have the correct shape/profile and look thinner.
Why is this necessary? For starters, the stock cartel case looks nothing like a real 6239 case. Without modifications to the top of the case, the bezel won't fit. Without re-shaping the case extensively, the case would protrude 1mm over the lower rim of the bezel (which looks hideous).
- Removed part of the "lip" on top of the case around the rehaut to allow for 6239 (or any gen-spec bezel) to be installed on the cartel case
- Slimmed Top Movement Plate to correct stem-height for v72 Dials (necessary on Pump-Pusher Cartels)
- Removed old laser engraving between lugs
- Custom real Pantograph engravings of S/N and Ref. Number between the lugs (handmade like Gen, not CNC!)
- Drilled a hole into the movement top plate to move subdial @6 higher and froze subdial in the correct position for a v72 dial
- Vintagized Hands, Slightly Vintagized Lume
- New Gaskets for Crown + Tube
- Greased gaskets
- Re-drilled & re-tapped holes with the correct pitch to install Swiss crown-tube.
- Installed Swiss tube & sealed tube threads with sealing compound
- Installed & sealed CWP Tropic 21 crystal
- Slightly Vintagized the Bezel Surface
- Re-shaped Rep 571 Endlinks for a proper case fit
- Greased all 78350 bracelet links & Vintagized + re-finished Bracelet

The watch was vintagized all around and will look& feel like a well taken care of 50 year old watch

PhilX01

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/8/21
Hi Morofra. Slay is a highly respected watch builder and member here on RWI. The dial is from MQ (with a gen coronet). Here is the build description that Slay detailed in his sale post:

- Case: Cartel 6239 Daytona Case w/ asymmetric pusher layout, extensively modified & re-shaped to gen specs
- Movement: Venus 175 Copy [Manual Wind Chronograph Movement], modified to accept gen-spec dial (Subdial @ 6 moved upwards & frozen)
- Dial: 6239 Paul Newmann Dial (with SINGER stamp on the dial plate) from Vietnam/MQ & Genuine Rolex Coronet @12 (this is a v72 dial with correct subdial spacing!)

Mods:
The case was significantly re-shaped to gen specs. In order to get this case to gen specs, about 1mm of metal had to be removed from each side of the case and they were shaped to a nice convex profile. The lugs have also been re-shaped from the top at an angle to have the correct shape/profile and look thinner.
Why is this necessary? For starters, the stock cartel case looks nothing like a real 6239 case. Without modifications to the top of the case, the bezel won't fit. Without re-shaping the case extensively, the case would protrude 1mm over the lower rim of the bezel (which looks hideous).
- Removed part of the "lip" on top of the case around the rehaut to allow for 6239 (or any gen-spec bezel) to be installed on the cartel case
- Slimmed Top Movement Plate to correct stem-height for v72 Dials (necessary on Pump-Pusher Cartels)
- Custom real Pantograph engravings of S/N and Ref. Number between the lugs (handmade like Gen, not CNC!)
- Drilled a hole into the movement top plate to move subdial @6 higher and froze subdial in the correct position for a v72 dial
- Greased gaskets
- Re-drilled & re-tapped holes with the correct pitch to install Swiss crown-tube.

The watch was vintagized all around and will look& feel like a well taken care of 50 year old watch

Thanks for the info. What are the differences between MQ vs Ruby dial?

Reactions: Morofra

PhilX01

25/8/21

Mods:
- Greased gaskets

How can I contact slay?

Morofra

26/9/20
Italy

Mods:
- Greased gaskets

Thank you so much for all this super explanation!
One day I would like a 6241 with that exact identical details but... also with a 722-1 super clone movement (no idea if its possible )

thanks again !

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Very good question ! I was asking to myself the same ! )

Printing mostly. IMO dial texture and markers are quite similar. Coronet on MQ is much better but then again it should just be swapped to a gen. The ruby dial printing isn't great but for the money its very good. Once vintagised, the ruby dial's printing can be passed off as just age. But MQ is definitely better on all aspects, just the price

PhilX01

25/8/21
Printing mostly. IMO dial texture and markers are quite similar. Coronet on MQ is much better but then again it should just be swapped to a gen. The ruby dial printing isn't great but for the money its very good. Once vintagised, the ruby dial's printing can be passed off as just age. But MQ is definitely better on all aspects, just the price

Fair enough. Where do people source a gen coronet and price ?(not willing to pull out from my gens)

Also are everyones ST19 working correctly? I had a Cartel v2 for about a month. With full winding/power reserve the watch stops after 10 hours, requires tapping for the watch to start again. Any experiences would be great.

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Fair enough. Where do people source a gen coronet and price ?(not willing to pull out from my gens)

Also are everyones ST19 working correctly? I had a Cartel v2 for about a month. With full winding/power reserve the watch stops after 10 hours, requires tapping for the watch to start again. Any experiences would be great.

Ebay is the place for coronets.

The St19 is finicky. Wouldn't activate the chrono and i would service it and treat it like a vintage chrono movement.

Reactions: PhilX01

PhilX01

25/8/21
Ebay is the place for coronets.

The St19 is finicky. Wouldn't activate the chrono and i would service it and treat it like a vintage chrono movement.

Yes, it is that definitely.

Generally speaking are there any modifications that can be done on the ST19, ensure having a more robust movement at hand?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
p0pperini can you kindly post the link to your beautiful strap? Who did you get it from? Thank you

No probs, and I've replied to your PM with the details. The strap was made for me by Tango over on RWG.bz. See this thread for her work (link goes to where she posted progress on my strap, but I recommend taking a look through the rest of the thread to see lots of examples of her great skills).

https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/...tango/&page=20

Last edited:
Reactions: RLNW