• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Let's talk vintage Daytonas with TheSociety & Friends!

velox

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/5/15
Amazing write up - your very advanced in these vintage Daytonas [MENTION=109813]TheSociety[/MENTION] :)

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
Amazing write up - your very advanced in these vintage Daytonas [MENTION=109813]TheSociety[/MENTION] :)

Thanks brother! Still learning a lot from our veterans [emoji4]

Want to Buy: Vintage Rolex with Gen Movements Sub / GMT / Daytonas, etc!

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
Not all 6263 Bezels are flat S. MK4 Bezels have a round S. Here's a comparison:

78NuNWj.jpg

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
Haha you're into the small details like me! This is what I have. It's been ages to "rust" a little like a gen I've seen. But that can easily be removed

2d36b46a5a455144f16db5c7b3e4f95f.jpg

Want to Buy: Vintage DW Daytona and Franken / Phong Daytona 6263, 62xx, etc!

That's a really shitty dial, don't waste your movement/case on that! Metallic silver subdials don't exist and the fonts are also terrible. Some guy from India used to sell them for 30$ on eBay (source: I bought several of them to get the subdials refinished in another color and print with better fonts)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
That's a really shitty dial, don't waste your movement/case on that! Metallic silver subdials don't exist and the fonts are also terrible. Some guy from India used to sell them for 30$ on eBay (source: I bought several of them to get the subdials refinished in another color and print with better fonts)

This is a very good DW dial. Not sure what you're talking about

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
Not all 6263 Bezels are flat S. MK4 Bezels have a round S. Here's a comparison:

78NuNWj.jpg

Sure but still better with FLAT S and thinner fonts. And thick hands are fine too...but thin hands looks better. Matter of personal opinion but whoever wants thick hands and curved S can save $

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
This is a very good DW dial. Not sure what you're talking about

No it is not a good dial. Can you show me a genuine watch with subdials like this?

These subdials are not only wrong (the outer ring without the circles is too narrow), it's also super shiny and reflects light like chrome. The font is too small and wrong and many other things that aren't right with this dial. These are among the worst subdials of any Daytona dial I have seen - and I am including stock cartel dials in my sample!

I doubt it's a DW dial, but I can't say for sure, since I only bought dials from DW 8+ years ago and god knows what he started selling towards the end, but it looks exactly like the black dials I have from this Indian guy on eBay. Is there a golden Singer sign on the back? It's probably not embossed but applied on top of the dial plate, right?

Who sold you this dial and how much did you pay for it if I may ask?

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
I may have actually sold this exact dial to someone for 100$ or so a long time ago! I sprayed it with matte varnish to remove some of the shininess (that's why the coronet isn't polished, because I didn't remove it before spraying) and then applied coffee mixed with coffee grounds with a paint brush.

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
But if you insist to like this dial, I have 5 more like this which I will gladly sell for 100$ a piece ;)

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
No it is not a good dial. Can you show me a genuine watch with subdials like this?

These subdials are not only wrong (the outer ring without the circles is too narrow), it's also super shiny and reflects light like chrome. The font is too small and wrong and many other things that aren't right with this dial. These are among the worst subdials of any Daytona dial I have seen - and I am including stock cartel dials in my sample!

I doubt it's a DW dial, but I can't say for sure, since I only bought dials from DW 8+ years ago and god knows what he started selling towards the end, but it looks exactly like the black dials I have from this Indian guy on eBay. Is there a golden Singer sign on the back? It's probably not embossed but applied on top of the dial plate, right?

Who sold you this dial and how much did you pay for it if I may ask?

I got the dial as a part of a lot of all DW cases parts and one complete DW watch. I have no doubt the guy was telling the truth. Either way I think it's a sick dial. There are many variations out there. I think the print quality is good compared to other dials out there and definitely much better than a Cartel. If you're saying this is not as good as a Cartel then no need to discuss further lol

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
I got the dial as a part of a lot of all DW cases parts and one complete DW watch. I have no doubt the guy was telling the truth. Either way I think it's a sick dial. There are many variations out there. I think the print quality is good compared to other dials out there and definitely much better than a Cartel. If you're saying this is not as good as a Cartel then no need to discuss further lol

If you google for images "Rolex 6263 black dial" NO genuine watch you find has subdials that look remotely like the subdials on this dial.

You've obviously done a lot of research, but if you can't see this and don't want to hear the truth then I can't help you. Like I said, I'm almost certain I sold this exact dial to someone!

I've been collecting Daytona parts for more than 10 years and I bought at least 20 watches from DW and 30+ dials.

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
If you google for images "Rolex 6263 black dial" NO genuine watch you find has subdials that look remotely like the subdials on this dial.

You've obviously done a lot of research, but if you can't see this and don't want to hear the truth then I can't help you. Like I said, I'm almost certain I sold this exact dial to someone!

I've been collecting Daytona parts for more than 10 years and I bought at least 20 watches from DW and 30+ dials.

I'm sure you could be right. But I'm not going to agree that it's a shitty dial. I've seen many many dials and have held a bunch in my hands. I have a direct support contact in Vietnam. I know what I'm looking at ;)

e5c4a019d5441e6890b65b45cd6ff761.jpg

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
Let's talk vintage Daytonas with TheSociety & Friends!

I'm sure you could be right. But I'm not going to agree that it's a shitty dial. I've seen many many dials and have held a bunch in my hands. I have a direct support contact in Vietnam. I know what I'm looking at ;)

e5c4a019d5441e6890b65b45cd6ff761.jpg

I've also seen many dials and I've bought stuff from Vietnam for a long long time... the Paul Newman dials are pretty good, but very rarely have I seen a good black or silver dial (it's always the subdials on black/silver dials that are terrible)! That's why I am prepared to spend 7k+ for a genuine sigma dial.

PS
The black dial on the bottom right of your pic looks much much much better and I can only see parts of it!

connie

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
1/3/16
Here i am, on me way back home ready to assemble me Daytona

- DW panda newman dial aged
- DW case reshaped
- Non screw down pusher
- Gen T21
- Gen crown
- Jubilee
- DW hand set aged
- DW steel bezel with flat 4 :'( I WANT A BAKELITE BEZEL SO BAD IF SOMEONE S WILLING TO TRADE :D

EXCITED

D

d4m.test

- DW case reshaped
- Non screw down pusher
- Gen T21
- Gen crown
- Jubilee
- DW hand set aged
- DW steel bezel with flat 4 :'( I WANT A BAKELITE BEZEL SO BAD IF SOMEONE S WILLING TO TRADE :D

EXCITED

Nice! Share pics when it's done of course!

sonoffrog

12/7/16
Great read on this thread, thank goodness for all of you who know your stuff!

I know nothing on vintage Daytonas, I'm getting into vintage rolex in a big way though, I've just started in the shallow end of the pool with my first 6538 build.

Where can I pick up a Cartel PN 6263 Daytona? Or any Cartel for that matter? I quite fancy a 5513 as well... oh damn this forum! ;)

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Hugop

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/09

- DW case reshaped
- Non screw down pusher
- Gen T21
- Gen crown
- Jubilee
- DW hand set aged

EXCITED
Ok J its been a day and we want to see pics! [emoji6]

connie

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
1/3/16
Got an issue with the bezel :'(

someone would have one to sell? A bakelite one would be amazing :)

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
Got an issue with the bezel :'(

someone would have one to sell? A bakelite one would be amazing :)

I have one [emoji4]

Want to Buy: GEN Rolex Movements and/or Franken Sub / GMT / v72 or DW Daytonas!