• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Let's talk vintage Daytonas with TheSociety & Friends!

eswilly

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/14
Florida
hClwPOi.gif

WHAT THE FRANK.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Thought I'd ask again... I can't find a Cartel 39mm gold daytona anywhere. Any tips or direction?

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Ok. I was going by the first page of this thread based on his reviews...

Cartel 39mm
-Cartel created the new 39mm version with correct spacing for subdial
-Runs reliable ST19 movement
-Incorrect size, but very good dial layout
-Good rep if you just want to wear it and go - no modding, a cool $250 and you're home free.

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
The gold one he has isn't a Cartel is what I am saying, I don't think they have full gold plated cartels. His review is just a listing of the choices you have for vintage daytonas in general, not necessarily connected to his stash of daytonas in the pictures.

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
Ok. I was going by the first page of this thread based on his reviews...

Cartel 39mm
-Cartel created the new 39mm version with correct spacing for subdial
-Runs reliable ST19 movement
-Incorrect size, but very good dial layout
-Good rep if you just want to wear it and go - no modding, a cool $250 and you're home free.

This has nothing to do with a gold Daytona...that's how you build one. You can also get one and gold plate it.

Yodog is right that is a DW and you can't buy them they're extremely rare especially in gold

Want to Buy: Vintage DW Daytona and Franken / Phong Daytona 6263, 62xx, etc!

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Ok. That's all I was asking. Was wanting a vintage gold Daytona in 39mm.

I don't want the one you have. Was just asking if there were any in the larger size.

You've answered my question.

Thank you.

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
Ok. That's all I was asking. Was wanting a vintage gold Daytona in 39mm.

I don't want the one you have. Was just asking if there were any in the larger size.

You've answered my question.

Thank you.

No there is no such thing. Just buy a modern Daytona from BP / JF in gold

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Thanks for the advice. But I'm not interested in a modern one.

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
Thanks for the advice. But I'm not interested in a modern one.

Best of luck! Just buy a big one and gold plate it lol

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
The gold plated vintage daytona is actually available via cartel. But it isn't a PN which you see here. The one here as mentioned by many others is from DW

J!m1

Renowned Member
6/6/14
Connecticut
[MENTION=109813]TheSociety[/MENTION] Thank you for the bezel! Once I finish up my 7032 (replacement bezel is in hand today) I'll start tearing into the Cosmograph.

Quick question: The old DW dials are the ones to have, but since they no longer exist, where should I look for a 1970 dial? I'm thinking silver with black sub dials, but black with silver sub dials is cool too. I'll replace the coronet if needed too. (I'm using a Cartel case if that impacts the choices)

Thanks again brother!

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
[MENTION=109813]TheSociety[/MENTION] Thank you for the bezel! Once I finish up my 7032 (replacement bezel is in hand today) I'll start tearing into the Cosmograph.

Quick question: The old DW dials are the ones to have, but since they no longer exist, where should I look for a 1970 dial? I'm thinking silver with black sub dials, but black with silver sub dials is cool too. I'll replace the coronet if needed too. (I'm using a Cartel case if that impacts the choices)

Thanks again brother!

No problem bro. I actually have a old school DW black dial with silver subdials if you need it.

J!m1

Renowned Member
6/6/14
Connecticut
No problem bro. I actually have a old school DW black dial with silver subdials if you need it.

I may... Is it a "daytona" dial or just plain "Cosmograph"? I prefer the no-daytona, but I think in 1970 most, if not all, were "daytona" printed.

FYI I'm keying in on 1970 because I have a gen bracelet in hand. And it's a good year.

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
I may... Is it a "daytona" dial or just plain "Cosmograph"? I prefer the no-daytona, but I think in 1970 most, if not all, were "daytona" printed.

FYI I'm keying in on 1970 because I have a gen bracelet in hand. And it's a good year.

Haha you're into the small details like me! This is what I have. It's been ages to "rust" a little like a gen I've seen. But that can easily be removed

2d36b46a5a455144f16db5c7b3e4f95f.jpg

J!m1

Renowned Member
6/6/14
Connecticut
Haha you're into the small details like me! This is what I have. It's been ages to "rust" a little like a gen I've seen. But that can easily be removed

2d36b46a5a455144f16db5c7b3e4f95f.jpg

Damn, that IS a nice dial. Coronet swap and go!

Feet are for the V72? Or something else?

Oh, and I thought you might know, how is sub dial spacing on the Valjoux 7736? Would that work in lieu of a Valjoux 72?

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
Damn, that IS a nice dial. Coronet swap and go!

Feet are for the V72? Or something else?

Oh, and I thought you might know, how is sub dial spacing on the Valjoux 7736? Would that work in lieu of a Valjoux 72?

I'll hook you up for a good price if you want it since I'm already shipping you the bezel lol.

The Valjoux 7736 won't work. You will need a v72 or v727, I've seen the v23 works as well but you won't get working subdial at 6. I would stick to a v72 or v727

J!m1

Renowned Member
6/6/14
Connecticut
I'll hook you up for a good price if you want it since I'm already shipping you the bezel lol.

The Valjoux 7736 won't work. You will need a v72 or v727, I've seen the v23 works as well but you won't get working subdial at 6. I would stick to a v72 or v727

I'm always on the lookout for a "reasonably" priced 72... But so is the rest of the free world...

Is the issue with the 7736 the subdial spacing? As much as I hate dial dots, to save a grand or more it seems viable in this case. I am aware of the Valjoux 23 but if I'm going that far, I'd like the 12-hour register to work as well. I'm going to see if I can find the specs on the two movements. I have a shit-ton of old movement workshop manuals I have collected, so I might already have the answer in my hard drive!

PM me regarding the dial. I'm eyeing a silver daytona text one on the bay now. It looks pretty damn nice but it's $350 or so if I recall (which is about 1/10 the cost of a service dial if you find one).