• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Let's talk vintage Daytonas with TheSociety & Friends!

Seven7r

24/5/15
6263 with my friend's Panthere
jN48yX.jpg

Reactions: diemuse

Coconuts

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/10/21
In 1982 I had this watch on my wrist, ready to purchase. The sales lady was trying to convince me not to buy it as it was "not really a Rolex" she pointed out the movement used, the plexi crystal, the fact it was not self winding, etc... she suggested I purchase a Submariner instead. Told me it would age well withme through my life. I wasn't going to let her talk me in to a Submariner. But... I was completely disillusioned with my beloved Daytona. I was seventeen and had saved up for this watch. I'm guessing she was looking after my best interest or just plain meddling. Many Years later (in 2003) I purchased a GMT Master II as it best suits my constant travel lifestyle. In the early 90s I again looked for 6263. Purchased a revers panda, at an auction for a song. I watched lots of these get overlooked and frankly I didn't understand why. It's such a gorgeous watch. I wore mine, had it serviced in Switzerland, and all of a sudden people started to remark about the watch. Until one day a collector followed me around at Basel world, it was getting creepy. He ended up handing me his buisness card. Told me he would be interested in my watch if I ever wanted to sell it. the value kept climbing and eventually I wasn't comfortable wearing it as it was worth way too much. I sold it for fair market value and moved on as life was busy and I had too many projects and obligations to spend time looking at watches. Every now and then I look at these and they just speak to me aesthetically. The fact that the movement is not pure Rolex makes me feel OK about a rep. I've tried in the past to just buy a rep and move on, but once you've had the original on your wrist, you can't unsee the flaws and proportion problems that an inaccurate copy has.
I have decided to take the long slow approach of acquiring a Cartel(JKF) and slowly take the journey to a close resemblance of my former watch.

Your watch reminds so much of my 6263 I can't stop looking at it, especially this photo with the sweater. I wore allot of sweater due to always being cold from jet lag/fatigue...

Could you share the specs of this fine watch.

P.S. I recently stoped wearing the GMT when traveling. a few of our employees have had altercations with people trying to take their watches. Rolexes have recently become a huge target due to their super inflated resale. Be careful out there!

thank you for this beautiful story

Reactions: Espada

diemuse

Patron
Certified
30/8/16
GER
Has anyone seen that there is a new batch of Vintage Daytonas at Trusty? rangan Even gold Daytonas...

​​​​​​https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php...ducts_id=24486

They are produced by WMFactory. Not bad, but it seems that JKFactory does a better job. The dial layout reminds of the DW dials, at least the Paul Newman dials.

Last edited:

rangan

Renowned Member
8/4/12
Has anyone seen that there is a new batch of Vintage Daytonas at Trusty? rangan Even gold Daytonas...

​​​​​​https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php...ducts_id=24486

They are produced by WMFactory. Not bad, but it seems that JKFactory does a better job. The dial layout reminds of the DW dials, at least the Paul Newman dials.

Yes my friend I have seen them;),

and some are well made, but I prefer the old jkf, these are too bright with the gold color, the screen prints are very highlighted, and the diameter is too big 37, 5 (gen 36.4) jkf 36.9, in fact the bezel and too oversized, and pusher are too big in my opinion, but in the context and with the price is acceptable

Reactions: diemuse

lcz.79

Renowned Member
Supporting Vendor
28/2/13
My last build..

Cartel case completely reshaped like the gen
Dial from Ruby
Thin hands
Viet bezel
Gen cristal
Athaya crown
Jubilee
5123082ababcab0d4cb1723920070e11.jpg

Inviato dal mio SM-F916B utilizzando Tapatalk

fall1n1

Registered Flex Offender
Supporter
Certified
30/1/21
UK / Singapore
My last build..

Cartel case completely reshaped like the gen
Dial from Ruby
Thin hands
Viet bezel
Gen cristal
Athaya crown
Jubilee
5123082ababcab0d4cb1723920070e11.jpg

Inviato dal mio SM-F916B utilizzando Tapatalk

Love it bro. Mind sharing where you bought that jubilee?