• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Let's talk vintage Daytonas with TheSociety & Friends!

Espada

Horology Curious
14/2/15
Muskoka Canada
32d3cdc1dd28bcf907b341b154f8939b.jpg

Since this isn’t rep. Thought I’d rename it for my fav race

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diemuse

Patron
Certified
30/8/16
GER

That looks very nice, I´ m also changing bracelets and straps all the time on my PNs. On a "modern" screwpusher 6263 I would try a US-Jubilee bracelet, what looks very extraordinary. I love to have my Jubilee on my 6265. Just as an inspiration. But brown leather is also very tempting. :)

MFK100

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
16/11/20
That looks very nice, I´ m also changing bracelets and straps all the time on my PNs. On a "modern" screwpusher 6263 I would try a US-Jubilee bracelet, what looks very extraordinary. I love to have my Jubilee on my 6265. Just as an inspiration. But brown leather is also very tempting. :)

Thanks , i am currently on hunt for a jubilee as i think it goes really well with vintage PNs.

diemuse

Patron
Certified
30/8/16
GER
fab343a6c30f9ff4ea366bc317f0ea87.jpg

Yeah! I knew it. That looks fantastic.

Dictated by me and typed by my personal assistant on my very expensive Platinum plated iPhone 13 Pro

Espada

Horology Curious
14/2/15
Muskoka Canada
Thanks for the kind words, BlackJaguar ! it's a cartel base, so it's still rocking an ST19 for now. My next step is to get the case re-shaped closer to gen-spec. A V72 will probably be on the docket in the next year or two.

So... A Ruby Dial fits a ST-19?? or is it modded to do fit ?

Espada

Horology Curious
14/2/15
Muskoka Canada
In 1982 I had this watch on my wrist, ready to purchase. The sales lady was trying to convince me not to buy it as it was "not really a Rolex" she pointed out the movement used, the plexi crystal, the fact it was not self winding, etc... she suggested I purchase a Submariner instead. Told me it would age well withme through my life. I wasn't going to let her talk me in to a Submariner. But... I was completely disillusioned with my beloved Daytona. I was seventeen and had saved up for this watch. I'm guessing she was looking after my best interest or just plain meddling. Many Years later (in 2003) I purchased a GMT Master II as it best suits my constant travel lifestyle. In the early 90s I again looked for 6263. Purchased a revers panda, at an auction for a song. I watched lots of these get overlooked and frankly I didn't understand why. It's such a gorgeous watch. I wore mine, had it serviced in Switzerland, and all of a sudden people started to remark about the watch. Until one day a collector followed me around at Basel world, it was getting creepy. He ended up handing me his buisness card. Told me he would be interested in my watch if I ever wanted to sell it. the value kept climbing and eventually I wasn't comfortable wearing it as it was worth way too much. I sold it for fair market value and moved on as life was busy and I had too many projects and obligations to spend time looking at watches. Every now and then I look at these and they just speak to me aesthetically. The fact that the movement is not pure Rolex makes me feel OK about a rep. I've tried in the past to just buy a rep and move on, but once you've had the original on your wrist, you can't unsee the flaws and proportion problems that an inaccurate copy has.
I have decided to take the long slow approach of acquiring a Cartel(JKF) and slowly take the journey to a close resemblance of my former watch.

Your watch reminds so much of my 6263 I can't stop looking at it, especially this photo with the sweater. I wore allot of sweater due to always being cold from jet lag/fatigue...

Could you share the specs of this fine watch.

P.S. I recently stoped wearing the GMT when traveling. a few of our employees have had altercations with people trying to take their watches. Rolexes have recently become a huge target due to their super inflated resale. Be careful out there!

Andy83n

Patron
1/3/20
Jersey
Espada if it helps I was just quoted USD12,500 for a full 6240 build by Phong, and would imagine the 6263 being a similar price, but I would defer to an owners thoughts on the same

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

enduser

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
29/7/20
UK
If you build it yourself you should be able to put together a Valjoux based 6263 for well under $10,000. The movements are getting more expensive all the time but the overall cost will be hugely influenced by the inclusion or otherwise of gen parts - bezels, hands, pushers, gen 571 endlinks are all very expensive and gen dials even more so. It’s a great watch though, with the benefit of a Swiss movement very similar to the original. There’s a very nice one for sale (kind of) in m2m at the moment, with a sensible spec without going OTT, for around $7,000.

Reactions: RLNW and Andy83n

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/10/19
In 1982 I had this watch on my wrist, ready to purchase. The sales lady was trying to convince me not to buy it as it was "not really a Rolex" she pointed out the movement used, the plexi crystal, the fact it was not self winding, etc... she suggested I purchase a Submariner instead. Told me it would age well withme through my life. I wasn't going to let her talk me in to a Submariner. But... I was completely disillusioned with my beloved Daytona. I was seventeen and had saved up for this watch. I'm guessing she was looking after my best interest or just plain meddling. Many Years later (in 2003) I purchased a GMT Master II as it best suits my constant travel lifestyle. In the early 90s I again looked for 6263. Purchased a revers panda, at an auction for a song. I watched lots of these get overlooked and frankly I didn't understand why. It's such a gorgeous watch. I wore mine, had it serviced in Switzerland, and all of a sudden people started to remark about the watch. Until one day a collector followed me around at Basel world, it was getting creepy. He ended up handing me his buisness card. Told me he would be interested in my watch if I ever wanted to sell it. the value kept climbing and eventually I wasn't comfortable wearing it as it was worth way too much. I sold it for fair market value and moved on as life was busy and I had too many projects and obligations to spend time looking at watches. Every now and then I look at these and they just speak to me aesthetically. The fact that the movement is not pure Rolex makes me feel OK about a rep. I've tried in the past to just buy a rep and move on, but once you've had the original on your wrist, you can't unsee the flaws and proportion problems that an inaccurate copy has.
I have decided to take the long slow approach of acquiring a Cartel(JKF) and slowly take the journey to a close resemblance of my former watch.

Your watch reminds so much of my 6263 I can't stop looking at it, especially this photo with the sweater. I wore allot of sweater due to always being cold from jet lag/fatigue...

Could you share the specs of this fine watch.

P.S. I recently stoped wearing the GMT when traveling. a few of our employees have had altercations with people trying to take their watches. Rolexes have recently become a huge target due to their super inflated resale. Be careful out there!

Here are the specs for this watch.

• Love
Reactions: Plantagenet

Espada

Horology Curious
14/2/15
Muskoka Canada
Espada if it helps I was just quoted USD12,500 for a full 6240 build by Phong, and would imagine the 6263 being a similar price, but I would defer to an owners thoughts on the same

WOW !! that is crazy!! I know the end effect is awesome and practically the same watch. I'm starting small and going to enjoy the journey. I have most of the tools needed , skill set is another story...

Thaks for that info!

Espada

Horology Curious
14/2/15
Muskoka Canada
If you build it yourself you should be able to put together a Valjoux based 6263 for well under $10,000. The movements are getting more expensive all the time but the overall cost will be hugely influenced by the inclusion or otherwise of gen parts - bezels, hands, pushers, gen 571 endlinks are all very expensive and gen dials even more so. It’s a great watch though, with the benefit of a Swiss movement very similar to the original. There’s a very nice one for sale (kind of) in m2m at the moment, with a sensible spec without going OTT, for around $7,000.

Thanks
Great perspective and angle! Definately something to consider. $7000 these days seems like a steal !