• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Let's talk vintage Daytonas with TheSociety & Friends!

zlwelch

13/4/12
Hoosier
Such a great thread! The PN Daytona was the watch that started it all for me, glad to see a community that shares the passion.

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Awsome thread. Is there a way to give rep poins using the android app ??

Thanks OP for this great how to guide on daytonas !

Sent from the RWI mobile app

jameslav2003

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/8/15
This is the absolute perfect guide. I came to RWI initially because I am desperately in love with the 6263 "big red's" and when i found out that a gen was going to cost me 50k i came here looking. Looks like to get myself the one i'm really looking for i might have to embark on my first build.... I feel like i'm going to be here a lot! [MENTION=109813]TheSociety[/MENTION] when you say about sourcing an old speedmaster for the subdial hands, is that a rep or gen?

Aidy

Known Member
27/8/16
Beautiful collection of watches you have there really great read thanks for your work on this

J!m1

Renowned Member
6/6/14
Connecticut
(Slowly) working on a 6263 myself. It's a cartel version, so I guess a decent dial will fit. I have a gen bracelet with 1/70 date code for it that's nice, but I may have Mike Young restore it for me. I've been looking for a Valjoux 72 obviously, and lately, even in running (otherwise unknown) condition, they are in the $1500 range (in a watch, which gets you a stem and way to fully test before tearing into it).

Has anyone tried/used the 7736? 7733 is two register with no date; 7734 ads date; 7736 is three register... SLIGHTLY less money and symmetrical pusher location but so is the current (Asian) movement so that shouldn't be a deal breaker. It's not a *common* movement, but they are around. Dial feet locations? This was Valjoux before being absorbed by Eta so in my tiny brain I think it will work, but I'd like some other minds on the task too!

Anyone?

Crown= gen 700. Not cheap but they are out there. Tube from WO990. Pushers from WO990 as well. Totally worth the investment.

Crystal= is Clark's as good as the genuine t21? I'm keeping an eye out for a gen, as I generally always go gen on my builds but Clark's is very economical...

Finally thank you for compiling the thread! I know, first hand, how daunting these builds can be...

D

d4m.test

de58f601e956be34cb0966bf59f426ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dollhorn

connie

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
1/3/16
Here i go!

Got a DW case, a DW Dial, a gen crown, cousin pushers, a gen 21, a modified A7750 plus hands.

I m now looking for a correct Bakelite besel with correct fonts! Do you know where i could find one?

TheSociety

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
Here i go!

Got a DW case, a DW Dial, a gen crown, cousin pushers, a gen 21, a modified A7750 plus hands.

I m now looking for a correct Bakelite besel with correct fonts! Do you know where i could find one?

There are some available for $450 on the bay [emoji17]

Want to Buy: Vintage DW Daytona and Franken / Phong Daytona 6263, 62xx, etc!

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
Yes. Both Mk. I and Mk. II versions available! Quality is good too! I got my Tudor 7032 bezel from him and it's pretty sweet!

Wonder if it fits the Cartel asymmetrical pusher case [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

hurk

The sound of barf
Supporter
Certified
10/5/11
Nice write up!!!

dont u also have a million other watches u can help us noobs with?

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
i would say if a gen Crystal fits, these bezels will fit.

That's not true. I bought one, fits gen bezel, and fits DW case, but doesn't fit the Cartel v2 (asymmetrical) case

D

d4m.test

Yes please let's talk about the Bakelite bezel...a flat S and a good 110 marker bezel...that is not $450. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J!m1

Renowned Member
6/6/14
Connecticut
That's not true. I bought one, fits gen bezel, and fits DW case, but doesn't fit the Cartel v2 (asymmetrical) case

i don't understand that. The DW 7032 case fits a gen Crystal but the DW bezel doesn't fit the gen Crystal. The DW bezel only fits the original DW Crystal.

The bezel rides on the crystal so in my mind if the gen Crystal fits a case properly, a gen spec bezel should fit properly on the gen Crystal, no?