• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Let's talk vintage Daytonas with TheSociety & Friends!

blehbleh215

2/2/17
All of the TD seems to only offer Asian Venus 75 movement now. Should i keep hunting down a cartel v2 with ST19 movement since it is more stable compared to the venus 75?

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
im gonna ask a total noob question and i know im gonna kick myself when i get the answer

But you guys keep referring to them as DW daytonas

what does DW stand for??

TheSociety

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
All of the TD seems to only offer Asian Venus 75 movement now. Should i keep hunting down a cartel v2 with ST19 movement since it is more stable compared to the venus 75?

They're the Same thing [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chinachinaman

I'm Pretty Popular
29/11/15
Today.I.can.finally.post.in.this.thread.

Thanks @yodog for helping out. Highly recommended!
b29d3935d2b12367a66a05e356709ea1.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

darknite

Renowned Member
24/3/17
So which pushers are the ones to get for the Cartel V2 Venus 6263 and WHY are they the ones to get anybody have a comparison shot as to why these require upgrading, same with the bezel - which bezel has the flat S that works on the V2 case ?

darknite

Renowned Member
24/3/17
@TheSociety you mention that the bezel you got on ebay does not fit the v2 cartel, is this something that can be addressed via machining ? as i have access to these tools.

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
So which pushers are the ones to get for the Cartel V2 Venus 6263 and WHY are they the ones to get anybody have a comparison shot as to why these require upgrading, same with the bezel - which bezel has the flat S that works on the V2 case ?

I would be very ver cautious doing anyting to the Cartel Pushers, let alone change them. The Cartel Pushers have a special mod to look asymmetric (because the Venus/Seagull movement does not have asymmetric pushers) and transplanting the tiny metal piece on the inside of the case to new pushers is incredibly difficult (if you don't want it to break after engaging the chrono a few times).

Additionally, the Cartel Pushers are not screwed into the case. Instead, they are "drive-in" pushers. Genuine or Gen-Spec pushers are screw-in on the other hand. So you need to re-drill the pusher holes with the correct sized HSS drill bit and then tap new threads from scratch with the correctly pitched tap.

As far as I know there are only two or so members on the forum who did this successfully.

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
Oh tough-titties if you lose the tiny metal piece from the lower cartel pusher in the process - you will most likely need to manufacture a replacement yourself.

darknite

Renowned Member
24/3/17
@slay yea I have see what is involved and what my real question is what is soooo special about the WSO pushers or the Phong Jr pushers that warrants a replacement. As far as drilling and tapping that's cake I'm not afraid of that I have built an entire car ground up ... drilling and tapping a case is a joke. As far as the chrono I would probably never operate it... screw down pushers are a pain lol.

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
@slay yea I have see what is involved and what my real question is what is soooo special about the WSO pushers or the Phong Jr pushers that warrants a replacement. As far as drilling and tapping that's cake I'm not afraid of that I have built an entire car ground up ... drilling and tapping a case is a joke. As far as the chrono I would probably never operate it... screw down pushers are a pain lol.

I would stay far away from anything WSO sells - 9 out of 10 times it's overpriced & inaccurate junk.

I would only get Phong's pushers if you want mk0, mk1 or mk2 pushers, because there is no alternative.

Mk3/mk4 pushers from Ofrei and Cousins are a relatively (!) Inexpensive replacement and are Swiss or German made. They are virtually identical to genuine Rolex p302 pushers for a fraction of the cost. I say relatively, because it depends on what kind of built hour are looking at. For a Valjoux 72 build they are cheap, for a cartel build they are somewhat expensive (depending on what you spend on the rest of the mods/parts).
More importantly, transplanting the little anchor from the lower cartel pusher to the Ofrei/Cousins pusher is very difficult - it's not a matter of having the right machines/tools, it's more a matter of being able to do brain surgery on an Ant ;)
if you know how to weld or solder two Ant-sized pieces together without damaging them and without leaving any noticeable soldering/welding residue on the parts, then you might be able to pull it off.

darknite

Renowned Member
24/3/17
Thank you very much @slay . Very helpful. But since the subdial at 6 on a Venus is a Dunn anyway why bother with the lever in the first time place.

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
The lever isn't for the SubDial @6, it's for the Chronograph in general. If you don't plan on using the Chrono AT ALL, I suppose you could just install the pushers as dummies (i.e. without the lever). In that case you should also sand down the pin inside the top pusher as to not engage the chrono accidentally (because if you or someone else does push the top pusher, you won't be able to reset the Chrono back to Zero without a working lower Pushers).

Keep in mind that if you accidentally drop the watch or bump into something and the large center-seconds hand moves/slips, you also won't be able to reset it back to zero without opening the watch.

Thecloudhopper

21/3/16
No problem bro. I actually have a old school DW black dial with silver subdials if you need it.

Want to Buy: Vintage DW Daytona and Franken / Phong Daytona 6263, 62xx, etc!

I am interested in this if he doesn't pick it up.

SeongYun

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/5/17
I need help..
Is this a dw case? I bought it as a dw case.
c7591f4634f9cf8d4981a77121f6ecd1.jpg
dc58ed6fe0635e81f4f4476ca3023c43.jpg
bd089f749a79f4809491111762f0bd0a.jpg
8103cccd155ff385dac82d1922ec00f1.jpg

But mq bezel can not be installed.
b67f799a71bc464317126befc532add1.jpg
b9948b6e03434797f4c9a0ded7643561.jpg

Give me some advice plz :(

Bart Cordell

I'm Pretty Popular
14/7/15
Fact that your bezel doesn't fit doesn't mean it's not a DW case. I bought two aftermarket bezels for my DW 6263 and I had to reduce their internal diameter by 0.2 or 0.3 mm to fit