• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"The Official Big Crown Club" - post your pics!

xgeryx

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/4/19
Last week
028d18b1ab64bb6378372f0f3f5ca608.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: geeboo and deadpan

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
I just discovered a love for these big crown models. I'm figuring out what combo to order from MQ. Before I get to ahead of myself, I wanted to ask if the crown bothered any of you guys...
For those that wear it on the left hand, does the crown dig in or is it a non issue? I'm hoping to make it a daily/nightly wear. thanks and the pics are awesome. I started at page 90 and got to the end very fast.

Alhig72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
15/11/16
UK
No, the crown is fine, it doesnt dig in

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2470f2.8ii

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
I just discovered a love for these big crown models. I'm figuring out what combo to order from MQ. Before I get to ahead of myself, I wanted to ask if the crown bothered any of you guys...
For those that wear it on the left hand, does the crown dig in or is it a non issue? I'm hoping to make it a daily/nightly wear. thanks and the pics are awesome. I started at page 90 and got to the end very fast.

Non issue for me and I have a skinny wrist.

Reactions: 2470f2.8ii

jelliottz

11/7/13

The smaller 37.5mm width of the watch makes the bigger crown a non-issue. The crown helps the watch appear bigger without giving you the Panerai-indention-from-crown mark on your wrist.

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
when researching this model I found a video: https://youtu.be/ikFd6nBRAio?t=276
that guy had me thinking it was an obstacle. I'm really glad that he got a trendy haircut before the video but I would've loved more footage of the watch itself...

I feel bad for having disrupted the flow of beautiful big crowns so here's a combo I photoshopped. I've been popping dials in cases in photoshop to help me decide what to order.

Thank you for the responses...I'm planning this build now & hope to share it in the thread someday.

Reactions: Bubbe Back1

Alhig72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
15/11/16
UK
when researching this model I found a video: https://youtu.be/ikFd6nBRAio?t=276
that guy had me thinking it was an obstacle. I'm really glad that he got a trendy haircut before the video but I would've loved more footage of the watch itself...

I feel bad for having disrupted the flow of beautiful big crowns so here's a combo I photoshopped. I've been popping dials in cases in photoshop to help me decide what to order.

Thank you for the responses...I'm planning this build now & hope to share it in the thread someday.
Look forward to seeing it

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

xgeryx

11/4/19
Dial, hands, bezel insert and plexi swap done by hungaryrolex

Can’t wait to sport it on my wrist
39c70ab237c670d0f830aad8f4dd56bc.jpg

Reactions: Alhig72 and deadpan

adasue

2/8/20
This is a noob question. Does Big Crown refer to any watch that doesn't have crown guards or is it a specific model or a specific mod? Thanks,

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
This is a noob question. Does Big Crown refer to any watch that doesn't have crown guards or is it a specific model or a specific mod? Thanks,

In this case it’s a Rolex with an 8mm crown. The Rolex 6538 had a ‘big crown’, whilst the 5508 had a ‘small crown’. But, I’ve seen other watches (non Rolex) also referred to as ‘big crown’.

The Hodinkee page and video here is a good intro;
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/rolex-submariner-reference-points

jelliottz

11/7/13
"The Official Big Crown Club" - post your pics!

Reference numbers and crown size in mm for all the no crown guard Subs:
Big crown: 6200(8), 6538(8), A6538(8), 5510(8)
Small crown: 6204(5.3), 6205(6), 6536(6), 6536/1(6), 5508(6)

Don't think I missed any.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadpan