• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"The Official Big Crown Club" - post your pics!

hotrodder

Known Member
6/12/17
0c93270a1bf941334e5200bd43126e66.jpg
76587b372574e8a5bbefdcc85d8a8ab8.jpg
7f7712a461a2848a162dfa0764d84a42.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Gen Submariner 6538 Big Crown
This was a C&R I was offered from an estate in Georgia. Bought it, cleaned it up and traded it for another Rolex.
How dumb was that? :huh1:

Wow. I sold a Tom Brady autographed rookie card for about 1/10th of its current value, but this is another level of regret. That's a 6 figure watch now :shok:

GMT1675

20/3/19
USA
Wow. I sold a Tom Brady autographed rookie card for about 1/10th of its current value, but this is another level of regret. That's a 6 figure watch now :shok:

Really?!? I didn't know that. Now, I feel even worse. I actually bought that watch for less than $2k around 1998. A woman, who's father had passed, inherited the watch. She found me on the Internet and asked if it was real. Sent some cruddy looking photos (the watch looked AWFUL, tbh) with no pertinent info. I had her take better photos and give me everything she knew about the watch and her Dad's habits, hobbies, etc. Instead, she offered to send me the watch and let me authenticate it. She gave me her price, based on what others had offered her locally. I paid her and had her ship. She had offered a full refund if I wasn't happy. I didn't have anything to loose.

I cleaned it up and posted some pics online - no sale ad; just photos. The Canadian Sub collector helped me authenticate it and offered me the trade. I jumped on that deal because I always wanted a Daytona. Wore the Daytona about 6-8 months, then sold it.

Ugh! My mantra should be "IF I had known then, what I know now..."
Oh well! C'est la vie!

PS - I also had a 5508 for a few weeks back in the late '90s. C&R to turn a little profit. What that watch is worth now - I don't even wanna know. UGH!

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Really?!? I didn't know that. Now, I feel even worse. I actually bought that watch for less than $2k around 1998. A woman, who's father had passed, inherited the watch. She found me on the Internet and asked if it was real. Sent some cruddy looking photos (the watch looked AWFUL, tbh) with no pertinent info. I had her take better photos and give me everything she knew about the watch and her Dad's habits, hobbies, etc. Instead, she offered to send me the watch and let me authenticate it. She gave me her price, based on what others had offered her locally. I paid her and had her ship. She had offered a full refund if I wasn't happy. I didn't have anything to loose.

I cleaned it up and posted some pics online - no sale ad; just photos. The Canadian Sub collector helped me authenticate it and offered me the trade. I jumped on that deal because I always wanted a Daytona. Wore the Daytona about 6-8 months, then sold it.

Ugh! My mantra should be "IF I had known then, what I know now..."
Oh well! C'est la vie!

PS - I also had a 5508 for a few weeks back in the late '90s. C&R to turn a little profit. What that watch is worth now - I don't even wanna know. UGH!

Yeah, I hate to say it, but everything about the pics you posted there screams $$$: the 4 line tropical dial, perfect looking lume plots, sharp case, original hands and insert. I'm betting most of the reason it looks pretty rough is just the scratched up crystal.

At least you can say you had one, a lot of the magic disappears once you actually acquire the thing, no matter what it is. And a watch that becomes that valuable isn't really a watch you can wear and enjoy anymore, it's become something entirely different.

Last edited:

steve3sc

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
30/6/15
TWayneJr

Nah man, youre not mad to like the look of the Hodinkee straps, but don't sweat the details too much. Its your watch, so mod it or anything that please YOU. Too many dudes out here seaking some kind of approval for their builds, in my opinion. I look at it like a chopper or cafe racer..
...its all about you expressing yourself thru the watch, or bike, or whatever. Make it your own, bro!

Reactions: p0pperini