• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"The Official Big Crown Club" - post your pics!

DeLoMan

3/2/19
Vietnamese sellers like Ruby, MQ and Phong have true negative relief gilt dials that are pretty good. Users here on RWI have also made them with both decal paper and with a process a little closer to what you described but more suitable for a DIY'er, as linked by DeLoMan above.
The only issue with going the Vietnamese route is that the dials are undersized for the Raffles case. Raffles takes a 28.5mm dial, whereas the Vietnamese ones are stock size (26.5 mm IIRC).

I should have my dial blanks in this week to give the technique I try that I linked to. Trying not to get my hopes up, but I think it could turn out great based on the results of others. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 369mafia

GenuineFool

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
I am interested in the fact that you've mentioned screen printing. I think a lot of us were under the assumption that they originally pad printed the 'mask'. I'm not very knowledgable on screenprinting, would it really be able to achieve the exceptionally small details, sharpness and consistency needed? I know there are levels of "fineness" to the screens/mesh but didn't think tiny, fraction-of-a-millimeter details could be achieved. I do know it's a lot easier and more accessible than a pad printing setup so this could be an interesting developement.

I contacted one of the Vietnamese sellers about a custom dial more than a year ago. I was told that the details were too fine for the silkscreen method that they use. The SCOC text is slightly larger than gen on some rep dials for this reason.

Reactions: bigtiddygothgf

DeLoMan

3/2/19
Attempted to make some dials today for my build with the water slide decal method. First attempts. Need to let them dry and hit with lacquer, age, and then lume. Not sure which one to use!

HQrBXb.jpeg

HQrQxp.jpeg

HQrpW5.jpeg

DeLoMan

3/2/19
Still trying to perfect the water slide decals and finished lacquering them this morning. Here is a shot of them with a Raffles dial. The water slide method definitely s the brass gilt look compared to Raffle’s dial. However the text is crisper on Raffles. A true negative gilt dial from a professional may ultimately be the route I go, as I don’t think I’ll be 100% satisfied with anything else.

HQ4jL3.jpeg

HQ437Y.jpeg

HQ4z8s.jpeg

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
ID say youre doing a great job @DeLoMan that tropical dial looks awesome and if it would fit my raffles case I would take it off your hands.

Try not to be soo overly critical of your work perfection is the goal but its hard not to become hyper focused on clarity of the print under macro where as once its behind a crystal and on the wrist. it will look great!!

Keep it up !!

Reactions: DeLoMan

DeLoMan

3/2/19
ID say youre doing a great job @DeLoMan that tropical dial looks awesome and if it would fit my raffles case I would take it off your hands.

Try not to be soo overly critical of your work perfection is the goal but its hard not to become hyper focused on clarity of the print under macro where as once its behind a crystal and on the wrist. it will look great!!

Keep it up !!
Thanks buddy. I took a day away from this, then played around with some settings on the laserjet and was able to get better results. I’m still going to get a manodeoro negative gilt dial for a build, but may end up finishing this current build with a dial of my own. Photos of the better results here:

HljA23.jpeg

HljLns.jpeg

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
A bit pixelated but you wont notice that on the wrist . I think you should push through, finish the dial and lume it. I think it will look the part.