• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Request for advice re 6538/TM Project

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
Attempting a 6538/TM-inspired build. 1st attempt and I'm stuck. Your advice please.
1. Donor watch - stated BP 114060 with shaved CG's and beautifully done chamfered lugs. Got it here M2M.
2. Dial - HR 6538 branded "gilt" dial, 29mm. Got it here M2M.
3. Hands - HR 6538 gold hands (still in transit from HK)

Off the gate, I knew my situation is both iffy and challenging at best because I do not know any reputable skilled watch makers in my city aside from the usual watch repair guys in the mall. Thus, I didn't order the Athaya 8mm Brevet crown and tube yet --- that will require tapping the case --- because of this. The HR hands are still on the way.

But in my excitement, I gambled going to my watch repair guy in the mall and asked him to replace the BP dial with my HR gilt dial. When I came back to get it, my guy had already left, and his assistant said the 29mm dial HR dial won't fit! I said maybe you didn't do it right? I got a caliper and measured the HR dial. It was 29mm. Then he measured the BP 114060 dial... and it was 27.5mm.

Is this normal --- the BP dial at 27.5mm? Is this just a case of the watch repair guys not knowing how to fit the HR dial into the BP 114060? Shall I just get the watch and try doing it myself?

Your thoughts and suggestions are highly appreciated.

alfons123

Renowned Member
19/6/14
I think the HR dial will not fit the BP case, you need a dial with 27,5 mm, or try to trim it down (????)
The 16600 gen dial has 27,4 mm, probably BP has this used as reference.
The HR dial is often used in the sillix 6538 case

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
[MENTION=85244]alfons123[/MENTION], thank you for your inputs. I'm afraid I did it the wrong way: getting a BP 114060 as donor watch, and thinking I could simply swap the dial with the 29mm HR gilt dial. Now I know it cannot be done. I don't think trimming/shaving off 1.6mm from the HR dial is an option. I may end up ruining the dial some more. So now, I will have to look for a virgin 27.4mm and try to do a home made gilt dial via decal printing... Well, lessons learned. This HR dial will now be on stand bye, he he. Thanks, alfons123!

I think the HR dial will not fit the BP case, you need a dial with 27,5 mm, or try to trim it down (????)
The 16600 gen dial has 27,4 mm, probably BP has this used as reference.
The HR dial is often used in the sillix 6538 case

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
@alfons123, thank you for your inputs. I'm afraid I did it the wrong way: getting a BP 114060 as donor watch, and thinking I could simply swap the dial with the 29mm HR gilt dial. Now I know it cannot be done. I don't think trimming/shaving off 1.6mm from the HR dial is an option. I may end up ruining the dial some more. So now, I will have to look for a virgin 27.4mm and try to do a home made gilt dial via decal printing... Well, lessons learned. This HR dial will now be on stand bye, he he. Thanks, alfons123!

What is the rehaut aperture (opening) diameter on your case ? Raffles Time (website not Ebay)does a 6538 style gilt dial. The dials are 29mm diam' but the gilt "circle" is 26mm if I recall correctly. if your reahaut is 27mm diameter this will work - you shave off 1.5mm of the Raffles dial....

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
[MENTION=48066]tripdog[/MENTION], thanks for your input. I will check the rehaut opening later at noon. Yes, I already checked with Raffles Time, and it will also not work as it is 29mm, exactly similar to HR's dial. I may have to buy blank 27.4/27.5mm brass dials or have some made. I am looking for possible sources as well, knowing that there may be a "minimum number" if I have some blank brass dials made. Fingers crossed.

What is the rehaut aperture (opening) diameter on your case ? Raffles Time (website not Ebay)does a 6538 style gilt dial. The dials are 29mm diam' but the gilt "circle" is 26mm if I recall correctly. if your reahaut is 27mm diameter this will work - you shave off 1.5mm of the Raffles dial....

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
It's a no date you're making? - just buy some plain dials from Raffles & sand them down to the right size. There's a guy in France that has already perfected the 6358 dial with printed decals - Bart Cordell ?- see him in the "vintage " section, I'm sure he'll make one for you for a modest fee.

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
Hi Sir Tripdog,
Yes, it's a no date TM-inspired build using the 114060 as donor watch. I guess your suggestion makes sense. This will mean sanding down the available 29mm plain dials. Or maybe buy a couple of 27mm plain dials. I am a big fan of Bart's work. And I will try one more time to request Bart Cordell if he can make one for me. No use reinventing the wheel. Thanks, Tripdog!

It's a no date you're making? - just buy some plain dials from Raffles & sand them down to the right size. There's a guy in France that has already perfected the 6358 dial with printed decals - Bart Cordell ?- see him in the "vintage " section, I'm sure he'll make one for you for a modest fee.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Hi Sir Tripdog,
Yes, it's a no date TM-inspired build using the 114060 as donor watch. I guess your suggestion makes sense. This will mean sanding down the available 29mm plain dials. Or maybe buy a couple of 27mm plain dials. I am a big fan of Bart's work. And I will try one more time to request Bart Cordell if he can make one for me. No use reinventing the wheel. Thanks, Tripdog!

:thumbup:

lupinpopette

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/12/16
Hello boys, just stumbled on this thread.
To clarify things, if I get lets say a silix tudor 7016 case(probably same as the 5513) that takes 29mm dials, the visible dial diameter would be 26mm anyway or more?

I hope my question makes sense

steve3sc

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
30/6/15
If you can't get Bart or can't find the right size dial, message me. I have LOADS of decal on brass dials in a myriad of sizes.