• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Decal printed dial

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Looks great, but from what I can see in the picture, the minute track has a way too large border around it. The 5512 minute track should almost touch the rehaut. Not sure if it is just some optical illusion in your picture though, just thought I'd mention it so you can perhaps choose to rescale it.

Last edited:

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Looks great, but from what I can see in the picture, the minute track has a way too large border around it. The 5512 minute track should almost touch the rehaut. Not sure if it is just some optical illusion in your picture though, just thought I'd mention it so you can perhaps choose to rescale it.

It’s just resting in there with my finger to get an idea of what the dial looks like under the crystal. I’m sure it’s not lined up 100%. Even if it’s off I’m satisfied with it visually. Up next is lume at some point hopefully in the near future.

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
My first attempt at decal etching. This is just on a sample piece of stainless steel.. I used iron tri oxide solid etching salt in hot water and left it in a bit too long, but that was just for testing, normally you'd go for 40-60 minutes.

pan-am.jpg

Reactions: deadpan

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
My first attempt at decal etching. This is just on a sample piece of stainless steel.. I used iron tri oxide solid etching salt in hot water and left it in a bit too long, but that was just for testing, normally you'd go for 40-60 minutes.

can you explain a bit more what you are hoping to accomplish with this method?

Reactions: Briteling

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon

Amazing! I could see this working for broad arrow stamping as well (potentially)?

itgoes211

10/4/19
Briteling : must we bring in a mod to remind you this thread is entitled “decal printed dial”?! Kidding brother.
The etching is a brilliant idea - and the Pan-am case back result is outstanding! Kudos to you, sir!

So the process is to print on film-free decal the positive-relief part (so the negative of the image) so the ink protects parts of the caseback from the chemical etching. After the chemical etches the “negative space” covered by the ink, you remove the ink and get the resulting pan-am image as etched into the metal where there was no ink.

Is that correct? If so, the chemical etching doesn’t affect the ink, it just affects the metal? Or Have I misunderstood the process?
either way, again, it’s brilliant! I can think of a few other applications for this...

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
You are correct! And bring in those mods, I'll fight them! ????

I have used tape to further mask off the caseback, but you could also use some cheap paint. Once the etching is done, which takes about an hour, a swipe with some acetone removes the decal completely.

Even a simple permanent marker is enough to mask off bits, so you could even make some faux Damascus that way. I can think of a million other purposes as well...

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Their lume is quite good regardless of price. Tritec is not better. Watchlume as well. It is not just the powder that makes lume bright and last long, it is also the application method. (reflecting backgrounds, layering etc)

I have a few Tritec powders in X1 quality, so the best of the best, was like 100 euro for a small kit and it ain't any better than the Watchlume or Noctilumina stuff. Not too surprising, as the chemical composition is identical.

stanevo6

computer says no
29/5/17
The Low Lands
Their lume is quite good regardless of price. Tritec is not better. Watchlume as well. It is not just the powder that makes lume bright and last long, it is also the application method. (reflecting backgrounds, layering etc)

I have a few Tritec powders in X1 quality, so the best of the best, was like 100 euro for a small kit and it ain't any better than the Watchlume or Noctilumina stuff. Not too surprising, as the chemical composition is identical.

I'm following this thread from day one and it is amazing how you guys have such a knowledge about all of this and amazing too how you make those beautifull dials. I follow the Thread just for fun and to learn. but I will never make my own dial. hahahaha.

groeten uit Cruquius

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Much obliged on my end, and not to forget to mention all the other great mentors in this thread! It is very inspirational indeed, apparently even for those that don't even intend to make dials themselves!

Reactions: stanevo6