• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Decal printed dial

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
My decals keep wrinkling when i soak them and lay them on the dial. Any idea technique wise what might be happening?

wnlrv.jpg

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
What paper/technique are you using?

Kodiak paper from Amazon which i know others use with success. I used it in the past with good results. I print, dry 24 hours, spray a 2 light coats and let dry 24 hours, spray another 2 light coats and let dry 24 hours. I put the decal in the water for about a minute and put on the dial. The last 2 tries have been me pulling the decal off the paper to apply to the dial instead of "sliding" it on. That may be it.

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Kodiak paper from Amazon which i know others use with success. I used it in the past with good results. I print, dry 24 hours, spray a 2 light coats and let dry 24 hours, spray another 2 light coats and let dry 24 hours. I put the decal in the water for about a minute and put on the dial. The last 2 tries have been me pulling the decal off the paper to apply to the dial instead of "sliding" it on. That may be it.

Ah you use inkjet. Maybe others are more suited to provide you any guidance as that is a method I quite early on abandoned.

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
[mention]deadpan [/mention] I used a film decal, but only for the dial. The bezel is the one that came on the watch, but bleached and brutalised by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Got my round 3 attempt tropical 5512 dials curing after a few sprays of clear coat. Varying degrees of tropical. Upper right seems to turn out the best on the brass dial.
wc8vc.jpg

Hahaha, that looks so much like what I have been doing a while ago for my 5512. It looks like you have a bit of a film grain in to your gradient? The color loos good.

I do feel like the depth rating in the design is too large. Or maybe that is how it should be, I don't want to pretend like I know all the variations, but I have not seen it that way before I believe.

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Hahaha, that looks so much like what I have been doing a while ago for my 5512. It looks like you have a bit of a film grain in to your gradient? The color loos good.

I do feel like the depth rating in the design is too large. Or maybe that is how it should be, I don't want to pretend like I know all the variations, but I have not seen it that way before I believe.[/QUOTE]

I want to say the 5512 template I am using came from Bart Cordell. At the end of the day, its still a replica watch and I am happy that I can even get pretty close aesthetically. Got any pics of your tropical dials for the 5512? I am very pleased with my mess ups so far how the light catches them and the cool brownish colors they give off.

itgoes211

10/4/19

Total anachronism, but I don’t have any cases to match the dial, so I threw it in a 6-dig just for fun. I kind of like it for now, but the bezel color would need to change unless I can find a matching case. I used my last one on the albino 6536/1 red Depth (I think it’s a fantasy, but what the heck. I’ll try to post that next.