• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Decal printed dial

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Disregard that “article” you linked as well. It’s only a cookie cutter sales pitch for products, yet it’s disguised as an article. They are extremely common within the realm of non-professional automotive detailing. When in doubt, read the fine print way at the bottom of the article. For instance that article has “We’re a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” In other words, they are trying to sell you products so they get a sales cut.
Look for a guy on YouTube with a mullet haircut. That’s the guy you can trust! No bullshit!!!

Thanks for the advice about the Transtar stuff.

I get what you're saying about the article. I understood it was a sales pitch but it's pretty tough to find information on this subject that isn't. ​​​​​You have to understand I've been using some shitty acrylic clear coat that I think is mainly intended to be a fixative spray, and cheapo 3m polishing cloths. My sanding technique is also not good, but I'm starting to see why. I'm really new to this and I'm guessing that even some amateur car guy finish would probably be a huge step up for me.

Last edited:

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Does anyone have a 6538 template that would fit a Silix 29mm dial?

I saw Bart posted a 27.5mm one.

Lastly when setting these up for print do you have to print from photoshop or illustrator? I’m assuming you can’t print from something like Microsoft word or the likes.

itgoes211

10/4/19
Does anyone have a 6538 template that would fit a Silix 29mm dial?

I saw Bart posted a 27.5mm one.

Lastly when setting these up for print do you have to print from photoshop or illustrator? I’m assuming you can’t print from something like Microsoft word or the likes.

Check with romsteck. Even though it’s not a 6538, Maybe he might have something similar based on his 6536 post here:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...e-submariner-6536-full-hand-made-modified-bar

qualityazn

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
11/3/18
thanks for sharing this info. does anyone know if its possible to get a gilt effect? is it just ink?

itgoes211

10/4/19
thanks for sharing this info. does anyone know if its possible to get a gilt effect? is it just ink?

Yes, using the transparent decal process where the “white” in the file turns out as actually transparent when the decal is printed. So whatever color the dial blank is shows thru the decal. This thread covers most of the options if you read thru it.

I’ve tried several different processes for coloring the dial or dial part(s) that will appear thru the decal:
- sanding a copper/ brass dial to desired gilt color
- nail polish and/or lacquer
- printing a gilt color decal to place on dial under the final face decal
- gold paper (not sure the name, but it’s like a gold wrapper)
- gilt paint and paint markers (this has turned out the best for me, especially since the paint enables the option to add texture to the gilt before the decal is applied)

Hope this helps. Good luck!

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby

That is what this whole thread is about. A summary is you get a bare brass dial (or gold plate it), print out a dial on water slide decal paper, only the black ink will print. When you lay the decal on the brass dial the brass shows through the minute indices and text. Varnish, varnish, varnish, lume. Boom, you have a gilted dial.

jomtones

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/7/19
Am I correct in assuming that 4-line 5512 finals are out of the question for a decal dial? Ive only seen “SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER” in white print

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Am I correct in assuming that 4-line 5512 finals are out of the question for a decal dial? Ive only seen “SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER” in white print

When doing gilt, the gold would shine through the translucent decal paper. Knowing that, could you not just paint white on top of the bare dial where you want white text to be? That way it shows through the translucent decal paper?

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
When doing gilt, the gold would shine through the translucent decal paper. Knowing that, could you not just paint white on top of the bare dial where you want white text to be? That way it shows through the translucent decal paper?

You could, I bet even the whiteout that you brush on would work well. I've done similar with gold oil based marker. The challenge is to avoid a raised area where you've painted on the dial, as the decal is very good at picking up texture .

itgoes211

10/4/19
You could, I bet even the whiteout that you brush on would work well. I've done similar with gold oil based marker. The challenge is to avoid a raised area where you've painted on the dial, as the decal is very good at picking up texture .

Agreed it’s a challenge no doubt. And every mm on the dial height/thickness counts.

I’ve had some (some used loosely) luck with vibrating the dial immediately after painting, which at certain frequencies and impact helps flatten the paint texture. It also causes some pretty cool textures at other frequencies. Viscosity of different paints affects the success rate of this vibration technique.

Ive also tried sanding the base layer of paint (and other focused paint removal techniques) in the area where the letter-color paint will go. Works well but takes forever.
I’ve tried masking the letter-color area before applying the base coat, but the paint seems to get under the masking so far.

Once the different colors are applied though, the black part of the decal typically successfully covers white areas around the letters underneath the black.
FYI, There are some details in earlier replies in this thread about how to print darker blacks using printer settings to B&W instead of color. I have not tried this b&w setting yet as my color print settings give me sufficient blacks so far. But it makes sense to try it if you see some white coming through the black part of the decal. Hope this helps

Reactions: pompompurin

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Agreed it’s a challenge no doubt. And every mm on the dial height/thickness counts.

I’ve had some (some used loosely) luck with vibrating the dial immediately after painting, which at certain frequencies and impact helps flatten the paint texture. It also causes some pretty cool textures at other frequencies. Viscosity of different paints affects the success rate of this vibration technique.

Ive also tried sanding the base layer of paint (and other focused paint removal techniques) in the area where the letter-color paint will go. Works well but takes forever.
I’ve tried masking the letter-color area before applying the base coat, but the paint seems to get under the masking so far.

Once the different colors are applied though, the black part of the decal typically successfully covers white areas around the letters underneath the black.
FYI, There are some details in earlier replies in this thread about how to print darker blacks using printer settings to B&W instead of color. I have not tried this b&w setting yet as my color print settings give me sufficient blacks so far. But it makes sense to try it if you see some white coming through the black part of the decal. Hope this helps

I've got some succes while building my 5513 Serpico Y Laino gilt dial about 2 years ago .
What I did :
- mirror polished my dail plate
- carved down the polished dial plate about 0.3mm where I wanted the white SYL wrtittings ... just used a diamond grinder on a dremel
- used a mix of whte/silver nail varnish to fill the sunken place ... taking care to put it "flush deck" with the polished part of the dial
- put my black decal on
- no varnish finish

Below are some pics of the result.
The shine of the gilt areas is too low IMO because I put too much layers of matte varnish on the decal after printing to protect the inkjet ink from water.
I will redo that dial, some day, using a gold plated dial plate and film-free decal so the gilt will be greater.

CYMERA-20170926-060745.jpg

IMG-20170508-150939570.jpg

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Since were all about the gilt dials in this thread I came across these gilt dials on TS Stations new site for hand made watches called watch power.

This is what they offer for their 1016 gilt dials.....cant say I am i'm impressed....In fact I feel that these are quite poor. I am not sure if the crappy printing is intentional to look aged (in their eyes) or just the quality is bad.

You guys are running circles around them as far as quality and crispness....next time you dont think your dial is clean enough look back at these pics lol

vp-1016-gilt-1.png

vp-1016-gilt-12.png

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Since were all about the gilt dials in this thread I came across these gilt dials on TS Stations new site for hand made watches called watch power.

This is what they offer for their 1016 gilt dials.....cant say I am i'm impressed....In fact I feel that these are quite poor. I am not sure if the crappy printing is intentional to look aged (in their eyes) or just the quality is bad.

You guys are running circles around them as far as quality and crispness....next time you dont think your dial is clean enough look back at these pics lol

vp-1016-gilt-1.png

vp-1016-gilt-12.png

I've seen those ones ... :crazy:

Reactions: 369mafia

itgoes211

10/4/19
“- mirror polished my dail plate
- carved down the polished dial plate about 0.3mm where I wanted the white SYL wrtittings ... just used a diamond grinder on a dremel
- used a mix of whte/silver nail varnish to fill the sunken place ... taking care to put it "flush deck" with the polished part of the dial
- put my black decal on”...

manodeoro : Great tip on sanding a trench in the dial for the white paint! Thank you. I’m going to bank that tip and try it soon.
And your result is very nice - that Serpico dial is beautiful. Nice work.

I’m just starting to experiment with printing DWOs as well now. Prints are good, but the challenges so far have been sizing the diameter(s) for printing, getting clean and aligned cuts on inner and outer edges of the DWOs, and finding material or blanks for the DWO. Most material is I’ve tested with is too thick. ~ .3mm. Causing interference with the dial. Or if a dial spacer is used, the movement pinions are too low for the hour hand to clear the dial. Id like to avoid if possible changing pinions, 4H mods, or newer hands. Seems like the first step is to locate some DWO blanks or material and make my own...

Has anyone been able to source inexpensive DWO blanks or material to make/cut DWO blanks?
Along that line, has anyone had any luck in sourcing inexpensive dial blanks or even material and tools to cut their own dial blanks? Just curious, and I’ll keep searching RWI and interweb, but thought I’d through it out here as well.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
itgoes211 ... it all depends on what you consider "cheap" and which sort of movement you want to use.
For 2824-2 or 2813 movements you could find dials on DHGate or eBay for about $5 shipped each if you buy some.

Envoyé de mon moto g(7) power en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: itgoes211

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Before I do my first attempt is the most successful method for application of decal to apply decal face up?
Face UP (standard printing) if you use standard decal dial (decal film stays on the dial)
Face DOWN (mirror printing) if you use film-free decal method (only ink stays on the dial).
From my short (but still 3 years) experience I would say you'd better start using the standard method then, when you achieve to get nice and crispy decal prints, try the film-free method.
For the film-free you'll need a laser printer.

Envoyé de mon moto g(7) power en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: itgoes211

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
itgoes211 ... it all depends on what you consider "cheap" and which sort of movement you want to use.
For 2824-2 or 2813 movements you could find dials on DHGate or eBay for about $5 shipped each if you buy some.
Hi, are you talking about dial blanks? Because I’ve used every combo of words I can think of on eBay and all I get is page after page of cheap watches. Any chance of a link to a seller? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Hi, are you talking about dial blanks? Because I’ve used every combo of words I can think of on eBay and all I get is page after page of cheap watches. Any chance of a link to a seller? Thanks!

I have found luck on eBay by just typing your movement and watch dial like “2813 watch dial” and then sort by lowest price. on Dhgate typically you have to bulk orders.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I have found luck on eBay by just typing your movement and watch dial like “2813 watch dial” and then sort by lowest price. on Dhgate typically you have to bulk orders.

Great thanks chrome72. I’d started having more luck leaving out any reference to size in mm, but all I seemed to find were Raffles dials!