• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Decal printed dial

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Thanks for the link.
For vintage lume I use just :
- white lume ultrafine powder (green light)
- waterbased medium
- watercolors
I get good results for cheap, as 20g of lume powder is only $7 shipped !!!

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

What I use is at least as cheap. it's like 1 dollar something for a whole binder pen, and the Watchlume USA powders are really affordable. They are BIG jars of powder that can do hundreds of watches.

The BIG BIG BIG advantage of the UV lume method is, you can take whatever time you need, and when you cure it it is done in 5 seconds and you can't ruin it any more after that. You can immediately after it build the watch!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
What I use is at least as cheap. it's like 1 dollar something for a whole binder pen, and the Watchlume USA powders are really affordable. They are BIG jars of powder that can do hundreds of watches.

The BIG BIG BIG advantage of the UV lume method is, you can take whatever time you need, and when you cure it it is done in 5 seconds and you can't ruin it any more after that. You can immediately after it build the watch!

Hi ... Briteling
I've checked Watchlume USA powders on eBay and it seems to be exaclty the same product I use, with another name (mine is GLOWINTHEDARK powders).

The UV glue method seems to be really interesting and I'll probably give a try ... I just wonder if I could still use watercolors to color the lume

Reactions: Briteling

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Hi ... Briteling
I've checked Watchlume USA powders on eBay and it seems to be exaclty the same product I use, with another name (mine is GLOWINTHEDARK powders).

The UV glue method seems to be really interesting and I'll probably give a try ... I just wonder if I could still use watercolors to color the lume

Yes, it is really not the price difference that will matter, one buy of the kit with five colors and you're good for a full lifetime...

Yes, water based is possible, but you need to first apply some to a piece of plastic like polyethylene (shampoo bottle) then when dry after some minutes you can use a crumb of the crust to grind down with a flatblade screwdriver and mix straight away with the lume powder and UV binder.

I mixed white, light and dark brown water colors in a bit darker tint as needed, as once dry it will become lighter, and once mixed with lume powder it will again. So make it dark cookie dough color, then you'll be good.

The mixture will be nicely thick and creamy, and with two needles you can apply it nicely. I went for a not too perfect result, but you can make it very smooth and perfect, as said, you'll have all the time in the world to perfect it....

I've also lumed hands this way from the front. I chemically remove old lume with acetone or alcohol, then stick the hands to a block of metal, on which I applied some sticker sheet backing, so the hands can be removed fairly easy. The ends of the hand I stick down with some rodico. With this method at least you'll immediately see the result.

If you need bright lume, smear some white paint on the back afterwards.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Yesterday I achieved to make something special ...
domed negative gilt dial ????
YES ... a domed one !!!
Not a rep but a custom one for a lady who wants her own unique vintage diver

edb7175a0351dc613c99ea9ab5453d86.jpg

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Yesterday I achieved to make something special ...
domed negative gilt dial ????
YES ... a domed one !!!
Not a rep but a custom one for a lady who wants her own unique vintage diver

Whoa, that's interesting. I would not have thought that the decal would adhere to the sloping edge so nicely. Some of the early Rolex and Tudor dials were domed just like this.. I wonder where you got such a dial?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Whoa, that's interesting. I would not have thought that the decal would adhere to the sloping edge so nicely. Some of the early Rolex and Tudor dials were domed just like this.. I wonder where you got such a dial?

Well ... I've just sanded a very old Rolex 4499 dial from the 40ies ????
Just a joke of course ???? as I'm trying to build one for my Air-King collection.

That dial was in a little French diver from the 60ies.
The printing was not really nice so I've sanded it to build a custom gilt diver.
All the parts will be kept but all of them will be modded so that I can get something "unique" at the end.
I've used some "tricks" to make the decal curve and adhere on the doomed dial plate and ... sometime secrets must be kept secret ????

Reactions: jimcon11

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Well ... I've just sanded a very old Rolex 4499 dial from the 40ies ????
Just a joke of course ???? as I'm trying to build one for my Air-King collection.

That dial was in a little French diver from the 60ies.
The printing was not really nice so I've sanded it to build a custom gilt diver.
All the parts will be kept but all of them will be modded so that I can get something "unique" at the end.
I've used some "tricks" to make the decal curve and adhere on the doomed dial plate and ... sometime secrets must be kept secret ????

I see, well nice work. I wish there was a cheap source of domed dials like this. It's one of the subtle features on the real watches that makes the illusion of the dial jumping out at you. On the gg-w-113 pilot's watch I have, the domed dial actually sits higher than the case itself, creating a cool bubble effect.

muSRR.jpg

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I see, well nice work. I wish there was a cheap source of domed dials like this. It's one of the subtle features on the real watches that makes the illusion of the dial jumping out at you. On the gg-w-113 pilot's watch I have, the domed dial actually sits higher than the case itself, creating a cool bubble effect.

muSRR.jpg
Indeed !!! really cheap diver from the 60ies that a friend gave to me, not working.
I have serviced the movement, a LorsaP75 P75, made a gilt dial, reworked and gold plated the hands.
I'm building a custom rotating bezel (engraved SSteel) and ... that could be a killer skin-diver when finished ????

Reactions: nest1

SuperTopGun

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/2/15

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Yes, how did you do that?

VHT gloss engine enamel, applied twice, the second layer a day after, and after sending with 1200 grid water sandpaper. How it is now, I can water sand it again, and polish it and it'll still have the crackled pattern, but very subtle, which also looks highly vintage.

SuperTopGun

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/2/15
VHT gloss engine enamel, applied twice, the second layer a day after, and after sending with 1200 grid water sandpaper. How it is now, I can water sand it again, and polish it and it'll still have the crackled pattern, but very subtle, which also looks highly vintage.

Friend you have other images of quadrants performed by you?

me&tedd

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/3/15
I tried to print the template and it came out a bit transparent and not that black as Bart’s. I am not sure where the issue: paper? Printer? Settings?