• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Decal printed dial

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Maybe not enough clear coat on top of the decal? All the dials I made back when I made this one are still in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, cracking should be a function of how the lacquer was applied whether that be drying time between coats or thickness. There are threads on RWI were people have mimiced the cracking pattern by not allowing the 2nd to last coat to dry fully before putting on the last coat.

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
I have made several with all sorts of different methods and with lacquer and without. Only the ones without are still in good shape. They are all done with laser printer, so lacquer was not obligatory.

The ones with lacquer were done with two different types of clear coat and most with just one simple layer.

The down side of having lacquer and/or film is that it is vulnerable, no matter what. Extra care needs to be taken to at the very least not damage it, which appears to happen pretty quickly.

The film free dials however have proven to be pretty much nuclear blast proof.

Conclusion, if I had the choice, I would chose film free any day.

Reactions: deadpan

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Here is an example that I had photographed a while ago. This was one of my first decal dials. It was so beautiful...

I blanked out the logo and text for certain reasons...

Whats-App-Image-2020-06-16-at-01-28-17-blanked.jpg

Had this turned in to a nice spider effect I would have been happy, but it is just one main crack, and the layers also delaminated, so it will probably just come loose over a huge area some day....

Last edited:

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
I could have sworn I saw my query on this thread but I tried searching but couldn't find it. if the Silix 6538 takes 29mm dial, what size do you print the decal so that the swiss shows? I thought I remember it being something like 28 point something mm? Anyone remember, don't have one handy to measure.

Reactions: Bubbe Back1

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
IIRC I put the gilt minute track at 26.25mm the outside border is unimportant. I always put enough black around it to make sure the dial opening area is covered. I do however recommend to not go past the dial edge when using film free, since it rises the chance of the toner layer peeling off when removing the film.

Silix is indeed made for 29mm total dial blank diameter.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Last week I achieved to print this ... negative-gilt 6610 Red-Depth dial ...
I still have to reprint the "50m=165ft" in red but, IMHO, I'm pretty close to an achivement ...

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
That looks great! I assume it’s film free.

What dpi is your printer set to?

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London

What dpi have you got your printer set to?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16

What dpi have you got your printer set to?

Film-free of course ;) printed 1200/1200 dpi

Pics are made with my crappy smartphone ... that dial looks even better in real (more crispy and more 3D effect)

Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Film-free of course ;) printed 1200/1200 dpi

Pics are made with my crappy smartphone ... that dial looks even better in real (more crispy and more 3D effect)

looks great my friend. If you make any extras I would be interested. cheers

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
ATTENTION:
Any dial makers in here interested in doing some commission work?

I want to build a small rose ranger. I have a yuki dial shield ranger but its not cutting it lately. Please dm me to discuss details.

Tudor Ranger Vintage Rose Dial - The Rolex Area - RWG

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
looks great my friend. If you make any extras I would be interested. cheers
Thanks my friend ... that dial is the result of a long learning process with many many trials and many many failures :eek:
Now it all depends if I succeed or fail while printing the "rep depth" ... I'm pretty confident but who knows ...

If I succeed then I'll definitely make some extras and, as you've been the first to ask me about a 6610 red-depth dial, you'll be first in the row ;)​​​​​​​...

Reactions: 369mafia