• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Decal printed dial

jomtones

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/7/19
François.Fillon : very nice, thank you! I like that coin edge bezel too. I’ve been looking for a one of those or even a case with one. Any tips on where you sourced the case/bezel? (Sorry if you mentioned it above, I’m going through the post again. It’s so long and has such a wealth of info)

Pretty sure it's the tiger concept 5508v6 case that you can pick up for $139 with 2813 movement.

Reactions: François.Fillon

François.Fillon

Renowned Member
19/11/16
François.Fillon : very nice, thank you! I like that coin edge bezel too. I’ve been looking for a one of those or even a case with one. Any tips on where you sourced the case/bezel? (Sorry if you mentioned it above, I’m going through the post again. It’s so long and has such a wealth of info)

Thanks ! No problem that's true this post is very long

I talked about TC case vs Silix here :

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/vintage-watches/8165993-first-rep-build-6200-or-6538

Build specs:

- Dial : Decal dial
- Bezel : Tiger Concept
- Case : Tiger Concept 5508 v6
- Movement Ring : Tiger Concept
- Crown and Tube : Athaya 800 (see pics below)
- Plexi crystal : Tiger concept
- Movement : ETA 2840 serviced by me
- Hands : Cartel hands
- Spring Bars : 2mm from CousinUk

IMG-1142.jpg

IMG-1131.jpg

Pretty sure it's the tiger concept 5508v6 case that you can pick up for $139 with 2813 movement.

Yes it is, I bought only the case with mouvement ring, caseback, gasket and insert included for 90/100 euros from TC

Reactions: itgoes211

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Briteling thanks for the clear photos of results using this method. And as you’ve previously explained it clearly results in a proper negative gilt effect.

Reactions: Briteling

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Thanks! As you can also see, this method rids of the jeans effect as well, because it flows smooth when baked.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Briteling Nicely done man...that looks great...not perfect but excellent. I really dig how the gilt is embossed looking... I would be happy with that. !! Do you think tweaking the heat and time for the back may improve the results??

Reactions: Briteling

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Thanks man!

yeah like I said, each method has limitations, but I'm happy with this and like the fact that the baking removes pretty much all signs of pixellation. And the negative relief, as I already mentioned, it is really lovely. That makes this method in my opinion and as far as I've tried, the nicest looking so far.

I've already made dozens of dials to try out timing and temperature and I don't think there is still a lot of margin/unexplored potential in it...

Reactions: 369mafia

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Any suggestions for puncturing the hole for the hand stack pin? I’m assuming just go in with a sharp pointed item from the front to back?

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
There are tools for doing this. I have bought a Swanstrom tools stamping tool, and before inserting the cutting punch I can instal a center punch that will leave a good indentation in the center to drill from. For the drilling I use tungsten carbide drill bits first l finish it with some diamond burrs and then when I polish the material the edges will become even smoother.

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
I think I should have clarified that my dial already has the hole. Just the decal is over it. Didn’t know if it’s best to just puncture through the decal or cut a small x and push through.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Damn. Anyone wanna print me a spacedweller dial if i provide the plate? Pretty please???

Maybe trade off for some case work or lume work? :)

I also have a Tudor snowflake dial I could give as payment for a decal dial...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I wonder if Bart Cordell or Briteling could advise... Every dial decal I've applied to my dial blank so far has wrinkled up - some of them days after being applied. My last attempt had been in place for about 4-5 days and looked okay, so I thought "hooray!" But then I went on holiday for a fortnight and when I got back the decal had winkled again and the brass had tarnished underneath.

Would it be possible for one of you gurus to set out the basic procedure of the water slide process clearly in a single post? I'll happily go back and read all 59 pages again, because I really want to get this to work! But a summary of each step would be really appreciated. And also advice on what brand of decals you're using.

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
I can help you through the process or help you get something printed, just PM me an we can talk things through. If I get some spare time I can see about making a write up about the process step by step. But that is just my process, there are more than one way to get results.

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
I'm not even bothering with film any more... Way too vulnerable and fiddly, plus no relief, it's a hard no for me...

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
You can buy the w1 glue from sunnyscopa by the way, and use ordinary decal paper for laser printer. Just print mirrored and stick it down with the printed side towards the material, then dry a minute or two with a hair dryer after removing the paper, and you can remove the film, then bake it five to ten minutes at 180 degrees C anf you'll have a very smooth result. If you want more relief or deeper black, just add another layer on top...

To work faster, you can also use a paint stripping heat gun, set to low temperature to cure the glue, then high temp to cure the toner. The toner will be ready when it turns glossy. Beware of dust during the final heating, and off course before applying the decal.

Dials made this way are super robust, hardly scratch and are essentially dishwasher proof.

Ad for the brass turning brown. Use Cape Cod cloth to polish, it will form a protective layer on it that keeps it glossy for a very long time, especially when inside a watch.

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Damn. Anyone wanna print me a spacedweller dial if i provide the plate? Pretty please???

Maybe trade off for some case work or lume work? :)

I also have a Tudor snowflake dial I could give as payment for a decal dial...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem is that you can't print white on decal.
The only way is to put a black printed decal on a white sprayed dial plate nut the writings won't have no 3D effect.
Everything will be "flat" ... like that 6429 dial

IMG-20170508-143520159.jpg

Reactions: 369mafia