• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

triple calendar dream

Amaiel

Supporter
Certified
27/4/16
I love old watches from the 1950s, with moon phases and triple calendars. It's a long time dream. But rolex and PP of this type cost as much as a penthouse.
I have seen Viet cases complete with dials for about 2 / 2,500 usd. Then you need a 72c for the 6032, expensive but available. No idea about the usable movement in the 6062 and 8171.
jgqls8.jpg
jgqCZK.jpg

On top of that time and skills of a good, very good modder.
The question for the experts.
Having patience and a budget of x,000 usd would it be possible to decently replicate a 6036 or a 6062?

And if so, who would you contact to make this trip?

Last edited:
Reactions: GenuineFool

elconquistador

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/6/10
These are around 34mm. Way too small.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

GenuineFool

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
I have wondered about this as well and hope someone who has tried it chimes in. They are incredibly beautiful and I find it odd that these types of watches were dropped from Rolex’s catalog. Perhaps they didn’t fit the overall brand identity.

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
Phong makes these custom. I believe it’s $$$ but it might be worth reaching out and seeing for yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dino2018

Patron
Certified
14/3/18
If you (as myself!) love those smalish (around 34-36mm) triple calendar hand wind marvels, starting around 5K you can find a gen Breitling Datora, Universal Geneve tri-compax or a Baume & Mercier as depicted bellow:
Some of these are Valjoux 72 movement, no need to do a rep, they are wonderful and soulful machines your descendants will wore proud for generations.

GenuineFool

Supporter
JonathanLing91 Thanks for the tip! I will inquire.

Dino2018 You might be right that going gen makes more sense in this case, especially if the cost of a custom build is in a similar price range. I am not dead set on having a Rolex triple calendar, so another good vintage brand will more than suffice. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the helpful perspective!

Reactions: Dino2018

GenuineFool

Supporter
Just checked out Phong's website. He lists the following prices:
  • 6036 Triple date Valjoux 72C - $8500
  • 6036 complete case - $1650
He also lists a Datejust modified to a triple calendar ($12500) and a 6062 that is "request price quote only". I think this rep will remain a dream and getting a gen vintage triple calendar moonphase is the route for me at least.

Amaiel Thanks for introducing me to the possibility!

Reactions: Dino2018

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Just checked out Phong's website. He lists the following prices:
  • 6036 Triple date Valjoux 72C - $8500
  • 6036 complete case - $1650
He also lists a Datejust modified to a triple calendar ($12500) and a 6062 that is "request price quote only". I think this rep will remain a dream and getting a gen vintage triple calendar moonphase is the route for me at least.

Amaiel Thanks for introducing me to the possibility!

skip phong his triple calendar isnt good try MQ he may or may not be more expensive but if you're gonna pay already best to go that route

Amaiel

Supporter
Certified
27/4/16
skip phong his triple calendar isnt good try MQ he may or may not be more expensive but if you're gonna pay already best to go that route

actually i think building (or mimicking) a 6062 or 8171 is a different game from building a 60s replica like gmt and subs. I believe that in total of those two models about 2000 have been produced (order of magnitude) but the iterations / variants, different custom and service dials, hands, indexes are instead dozens.
I mean that there is no paradigmatic example but dozens of different "versions". So the game in this case, IMO, is to cacth, to capture the essence and the best results, regardless of gen vs rep. Simply because of gen there are so many completely different.
I will give myself a chance, I have found a caliber with all the complications present and I will order a Viet case, After that I will use some unbranded dials which are available on eby for the fisrt assembly. If everything is ok then I will try to order a custom dial with the correct measurements for that case and for the positioning of the windows.
The unicorn would be the black lacquered dial with the stars or pyramid ...see below
And if I fail ....the trip sometimes is more interesting then the finbal destination
zjwfOX.jpg

​​​​​​​

Last edited:

Bobby1981

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
4/3/13
6036 case might be something in between 1.5 and 2 tsd $. As a movement you can find with some work old Wakmanns with Valjoux 730. this fits into the case, is basically an updated Valjoux 72c and you can find them below 1.5. The problem is the dial. It usually had sunken or applied indices and a sunken Rolex crown. Very hard to replicate. I have never seen good dials of these model. 6236 hat a somewhat simpler dial with mainly only applied markers and crown. Still no really good dial available with correct location of everything.

Reactions: Bubbe Back1

Amaiel

Supporter
Certified
27/4/16
Bobby1981 thank you very much for your help. And indeed I just bought a 730 :) in pretty good conditions.

the trip is just started....and all the advise are really welcome.

Bobby1981

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
4/3/13
You can buy Valjoux 90 triple date watches for repair. Usually you can grab them below 200$ in relatively bad condition. From this you can get original vintage Swiss hands for the Valjoux 730 date hand and hour and minutes hands. Try to pick a Valjoux 90 that has an arrow head at the date hand. Either with blue or red tip. 6036 and relatives had so many different hands that the old Valjoux 90 hands will match a proper style. Considering the subdial hands try to get original vintage swiss hands. You can find them on eBay and they are not so expensive as they don’t follow a specific style like the Daytonas.
Biggest problem will be the dial. Good look