• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Pompompurin's] Let's build a Rolex Submariner 1680 using a Milk case

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
The 1680 Milk case set represents the ultimate value for money. It is miles better than any Cartel/ BP case (modded or OOTB), and the lug shapes are awesome (in my opinion).
Furthermore, the 1680 Milk case set can be bought for less than USD $300 and its crown/ stem/ tube height is accurate to gen (unlike Cartel/ BP, which is generally an uncorrectable and fatal flaw to me).

Ingredients:
- Milk 1680 mid-case
- Milk 1680 case-back
- Aftermarket insert with service fonts (not pictured)
- Vietnam pip from Ruby (not pictured)
- Vietnam bezel assembly from Ruby
- Vietnam T19 from Ruby
- Vietnam Rolex 1680 dial (no-lume)
- Replica Rolex 704 crown (RSC sometimes swap 704 crowns and 7030 tubes into vintage subs; therefore, this is still within gen spec)
- 7mm tube
- Rafflestime hands
- Rafflesdial movement ring (not pictured)
- NOS ETA 2846-2 lowbeat movement
- MMM (MyManMatt from Repgeek) open 6/9 DWO (the best open 6/9 dwo currently available, although not cheap)

1. Countersinking the hole of the tube so that the 7mm tube fits in well.

2. Installing the DWO onto the movement. My strategy is to use a Rolex replica 2824-2/ 2836-2 dial as a jig. To me, it works a million times better than that 3D printed tool. Rafflesdial sells Rolex replica 2824-2/ 2836-2 and 2813 dials, but make sure that the dial window is aligned for Rolex DWO (and not for ETA date disc).

3. Removing dial feel off the Vietnam Rolex 1680 dial.

4. Test fitting the dial on top of the movement. I prefer to apply adhesive on the top surface of the dial spacer to stick the dial, opposed to installing new dial feet.

5. Reducing the outer circumference of the movement ring using a dremel. Then Installing the movement, movement ring, stem, crown, gaskets, etc.

6. Temporary mock-up and break. The installed Slay insert is temporary and was accidentally ghosted too much.

7. Sharpening the tips of the Rafflestime hands, using a small file, and removing their lume.

8. Applying non-luminous lume and colour matching the lume to the dial.

9. Dried and ready for cleaning up some Rodico that was stuck onto the hands.

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Cool, a couple of questions. I love those threads.

Which glue do you use for attaching the DWO ?

How do you fix the dial spacer on the movement once the dial was glued to it ?

How did you fix the crystal as the rehaut opening is too small for Sternkreuz etc. ?

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Cool, a couple of questions. I love those threads.

Which glue do you use for attaching the DWO ?

How do you fix the dial spacer on the movement once the dial was glued to it ?

How did you fix the crystal as the rehaut opening is too small for Sternkreuz etc. ?

1. I use UHU glue

2. The dial spacer doesn't get glued onto the movement. Instead, I modify the movement tabs by cutting them to the right length and bending them so that the movement tabs provide the right amount of force to hold the dial in place. This is my own developed method for years and it has been working great, as long as there are no play in the movement ring.

3. I find that Ruby T19 works best for me with a nice seal, by chance. Therefore, my build uses Ruby T19 plexi.

Actually, you can make any plexi with a wider diameter fit a watch case with a smaller rehaut by applying some superglue around the plexi's inner circumference of the rim (and letting it dry firs before installing the plexi). This is a MacGyver strategy, but it works, although waterproofing is not guaranteed afterwards.

Last edited:

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
1. I use UHU glue

2. The dial spacer doesn't get glued onto the movement. Instead, I modify the movement tabs by cutting them to the right length and bending them so that the movement tabs provide the right amount of force to hold the dial in place. This is my own developed method for years and it has been working great, as long as there are no play in the movement ring.

Haha, cool! I have seen so many methods now. Attaching a dial dot to the side of the movement and dial spacer or having some cut dial feet sticking out to hold the dial spacer but the bent movement tabs sounds like an interesting idea. Would be cool to see a picture of those…

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Haha, cool! I have seen so many methods now. Attaching a dial dot to the side of the movement and dial spacer or having some cut dial feet sticking out to hold the dial spacer but the bent movement tabs sounds like an interesting idea. Would be cool to see a picture of those…

They look like regular movement tabs. The only difference is that it takes trial and error and a lot of time to file/ bend the movement tabs correctly. Also, if the movement tabs are bent too much, it could put too much pressure on the movement which causes the movement to stop working (or you might get poor timegrapher results).

Replica01

I'm Pretty Popular
27/11/16
Looks great mate, cant wait to see the pics tomorrow!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G981B met Tapatalk

Reactions: pompompurin

Sidney.Shaw

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/9/20
Excellent job! Used to think I liked the red 1680 more, but that has definitely changed, the white 1680 is very subtle.
The DWO looks awesome too

Reactions: pompompurin

krugerj

Looking Around
24/3/22
Wow, this is seriously good work!! Any reason you decided against a cyclops for this one?

If you don't have a buyer already lined up, I would definitely be interested (following forum rules of course!!).

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Looks great mate, cant wait to see the pics tomorrow!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G981B met Tapatalk

Great post! Love the build.

Excellent job! Used to think I liked the red 1680 more, but that has definitely changed, the white 1680 is very subtle.
The DWO looks awesome too

Thank you for the compliments!

Wow, this is seriously good work!! Any reason you decided against a cyclops for this one?

If you don't have a buyer already lined up, I would definitely be interested (following forum rules of course!!).

The crystal doesn't have a cylcops because this particular Vietnam T19 crystal from Ruby fits best with the case. The seal is great. Also, i have seen many gen 1680 without cyclops (using T19 crystal) so this combination is ok.

Great job as always my friend. looks great!

Thanks J. I really recommend this case to you, and I think you will like it.

Reactions: 369mafia