• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Request/Inquiry: Vintage AP Royal Oak Build (36 MM)?

fangblade

Horology Curious
9/1/22
Hello all!

I'm new to RWI and a bit of a lurker, but excited to join the community! Nonetheless, I thought I'd start my first thread by asking the community about vintage AP Royal Oak (36 mm) builds or custom jobs. I understand (from my Googling and RWI search function) that these aren't too popular, and that vintage Rolex is much larger of a niche. However, I'm curious if anyone has attempted to build one of these, or if there are folks who have done these before, whether or not someone might be interested in taking a commission build?

Newbie question, but are the main barriers towards building vintage Royal Oaks the lack of components, or interest from the community (or both)? I imagine that most of the discussion on RWI centers around modern pieces, and not vintage(?)

Mercedesslr

Supporter
Certified
2/12/19
Hello all!

I'm new to RWI and a bit of a lurker, but excited to join the community! Nonetheless, I thought I'd start my first thread by asking the community about vintage AP Royal Oak (36 mm) builds or custom jobs. I understand (from my Googling and RWI search function) that these aren't too popular, and that vintage Rolex is much larger of a niche. However, I'm curious if anyone has attempted to build one of these, or if there are folks who have done these before, whether or not someone might be interested in taking a commission build?

Newbie question, but are the main barriers towards building vintage Royal Oaks the lack of components, or interest from the community (or both)? I imagine that most of the discussion on RWI centers around modern pieces, and not vintage(?)

Welcome to the Lion's den/ rabbit hole. Regarding RO 36 vintage ones I personally have not seen them. The closest I've seen to something similar is Patek Nautilus 3800 for under $200. If there is anyone who has attempted to build one it might be more of a franken then a 100% rep build. Most likely done back before the surge in prices. Again this is just me speculating and there very well could be a OFTB or build rep.

Happy hunting

fangblade

Horology Curious
9/1/22
Welcome to the Lion's den/ rabbit hole. Regarding RO 36 vintage ones I personally have not seen them. The closest I've seen to something similar is Patek Nautilus 3800 for under $200. If there is anyone who has attempted to build one it might be more of a franken then a 100% rep build. Most likely done back before the surge in prices. Again this is just me speculating and there very well could be a OFTB or build rep.

Happy hunting

Appreciate it! Thought this was the case -- there really isn't too much on vintage RO reps out on the interwebs. Are Patek Nautilus 3800s commonplace (people build and age them regularly)?

Mercedesslr

Supporter
Certified
2/12/19
Appreciate it! Thought this was the case -- there really isn't too much on vintage RO reps out on the interwebs. Are Patek Nautilus 3800s commonplace (people build and age them regularly)?

Tbh it’s not common. I’m trying to see if I can find someone to mod one. It’s an older rep that came, to my best knowledge, in 3 dials, a white with “diamonds”, a blue one and an unknown color. The not available at TD’s these days are the blue dial. You can see positive reviews on it. The biggest overall issue seems to be the amount of green tint in the blue dial. Keep in mind stock is low as it’s been discontinued for a while now.

fangblade

Horology Curious
9/1/22
Tbh it’s not common. I’m trying to see if I can find someone to mod one. It’s an older rep that came, to my best knowledge, in 3 dials, a white with “diamonds”, a blue one and an unknown color. The not available at TD’s these days are the blue dial. You can see positive reviews on it. The biggest overall issue seems to be the amount of green tint in the blue dial. Keep in mind stock is low as it’s been discontinued for a while now.

Ah, okay -- I'll do some digging around then. Was hoping blue dials were readily accessible on the market.

Mercedesslr

Supporter
Certified
2/12/19
Ah, okay -- I'll do some digging around then. Was hoping blue dials were readily accessible on the market.

If you find anything please do share it. I’ve seen most just leave it as is and live with it. One I saw bought a Gen dial for his several years back before the current boom.

fangblade

Horology Curious
9/1/22
If you find anything please do share it. I’ve seen most just leave it as is and live with it. One I saw bought a Gen dial for his several years back before the current boom.

Will do! I'm still totally new to RWI, so I doubt I'll find anything you haven't. Nonetheless, I'll try!

Invetero

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/11/20
the 3800 is still available in trusty's website, ordered mine a few months ago and I absolutely love it, slim and elegant.
just know that disassembling it is a pain in the a** if you plan to get it serviced, it's a st2130 movement in a monobloc case, meaning you have to remove the bezel, dial and hands and then keyless works to remove the movement for the case, they haven't used a split stem sadly...

fangblade

Horology Curious
9/1/22
the 3800 is still available in trusty's website, ordered mine a few months ago and I absolutely love it, slim and elegant.
just know that disassembling it is a pain in the a** if you plan to get it serviced, it's a st2130 movement in a monobloc case, meaning you have to remove the bezel, dial and hands and then keyless works to remove the movement for the case, they haven't used a split stem sadly...

How does the finishing look and feel (vs. gen)?

Mercedesslr

Supporter
Certified
2/12/19
I’m thinking to order one soon and see if someone can do some cleaning up to it.

Palief

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/7/20
tried trusty time they said out of stock... any other suggestions?