• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 79090 build : to upgrade or start a new one ?

JohnBranon

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/1/21
Hello dear vintageenthusiast,

To quickly present my experience, qualified from low to medium, I started my first build one year ago with an Explorer-like watch, a 79090 entirely from Helenarou in February 2021, an Doxa-like watch then finally since this summer, a mid-range 79090. I have never opened a topic but this time I'd like to have your comments and feedback!

I'm happy with it, really. But my dream is a 76100 Lollipop... And now I've reached a point of expense with a dilemma:

- Either I continue to upgrade my 79090 by a modder with patina on the dial & hands and some rework on the crown-guards.

- Or sell it to start a more high-end 76100, with perfect engravings, high-end case, custom lollipop hand by a moddeur etc.

For information, here are the details of my actual 79090:
- Complete Bivintage case, with Cyclops and correct engraving
- Yuki dial 79090 & Phong hands
- ETA movement 2824-2 Elaboré & Tudor balance-wheel
- Athaya crown & tube-crown

The bad of this build:
- Cheap laser engravings but on the other hand serial number ok : maybe a moddeur can re-engrave on the top of the laser one ?
- No patina of the dial. But can be fixed easily by a moddeur in EU.
- Crown-guards too massive and sharp.
- Engravings of the caseback have a weird dark imprint. I can leave with it.

Do you see anything else to upgrade on my build ? And what is your opinion on the dilemma (lollipop feasible or not, interest etc.) ?

Dino2018

Patron
Certified
14/3/18
Hello!! This is a very beautiful build, could you please share the cost breakdown on this? Bivintage is an EBay seller?

I'm also thinking on building either a 79090 or 76100 myself, there are true beauties.

If you are willing to have a perfect 76100, I would buy a gen dial, I saw one for 750 USD recently on EBay.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Personally, I'd refine what you have since you've got good parts in it.

https://watchcharts.com/listing/3924088/tudor-79090-dial-handset-beautiful-patina
Here's a genuine dial and hands, personally I'd get that, have the crown guards thinned out to be closer to genuine and have the engraving removed and redone as you mentioned. It looks nice as is, the only thing that really bothers me is the crown guards as they are pretty obvious comparing to the genuine. Luckily it's a very uncommon watch so odds of running into a genuine in the wild are low.

Reactions: Dino2018