• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cool 16233 Build, Hommage to the late 80s / early 90s

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Cheers,

inspired by a report about the South Korean DateJust case, I decided to start a project, which should be a homage to the "pimp" Rolex Datejust of the 80s and 90s.
Brief background: Pimps often wore a diamond-set Rolex in addition to the typical Bundesliga hairstyle and a moustache. The Rolex was also a means of payment for them, especially when they needed money quickly. Therefore, the watches of this species were often full gold, or at least bi-color, and had a diamond-studded dial. Watches like this are a time piece of the 80's and early 90's. However, I find this style even more chavvy for today than it already was back then. Nevertheless, I wanted to realize such a project, especially since I still have a matching dial from that time. The dial was mounted on an original 80s Gen Caliber 3035, of course with the matching set of hands. Although according to the seller, the diamond setting was added after it had been assembled, the appearance is still authentic and the work was indeed done in a first class manner. In combination with the SK case, a fluted 18 ct. bezel and an 18 ct. crown, it should be possible to realize an authentic build from this time, so my intention.
The case is indeed very well made, but the horns are not drilled, which is a distinctive mark for Rolex watches from this period. So I asked TomRep if he could do this work. Those who know Thomas know that he works as close to perfection as possible. So it was not an option for him to drill the horn holes from the inside to the outside. He accepted the challenge to drill from the outside to the inside through the horns. He drilled the holes with a diameter of 1 mm, which looks authentic. When he finished out drilling the case, he showed me the result and demonstrated the accuracy by putting a 1 mm drill bit straight through both holes on each side. You can't drill the lug holes more precisely than that.
For the movement, I used a VR 3135, since the Rolex Ref. 16233 was already equipped with a Caliber 3135 as well. To be correct, a champange colored date disc was also installed, all gold or bi-color Rolexes from that time have a champangne date disc. Another important difference to the previous reference 16013 was the change from Plexiglas crystal to one made of sapphire. Period correct still without AR coating and especially without LEC.
Of course, that is my claim, it was out of the question to cut back on the bezel and so I also had an original 18 kt. fluted bezel and an 18 kt. crown installed.
But what really always bothered me about these watches was the chaviness that these watches radiated to me. So I tried to make the build a little more modern and contemporary and opted for a leather strap instead of a bi-color Jubilee bracelet.
But check out the result, I think it speaks for itself.

As the 16233 Build looks incredibly good but is not my style I will put it in the sales section soon.

Reactions: Invetero

Invetero

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/11/20
absolute killer, Im already starting to save some bucks for a gen dial and replicating your build, though the SK cases ebay seller seems to have disapeared, any idea if he is still in business?

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
The SK seller has not disappeared. He ran out of cases and he will get a new batch soon. He also has changed the crown to a very gen like crown. Seller has send me some pics from some cases of the new batch.