• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Build - Rolex 16610 - Advice on Legitimacy

Pennoyer22

Horology Curious
6/10/21
Hey, everyone. I'm new to vintage builds and, as such, wanted to seek more expert advice. I have the opportunity to buy a vintage 16610 build for $1650.

The specs are allegedly as follows:
• JF Sub 16610 LN V2 - No Rehaut
• Lugs drilled for holes case
• Lugs slimmed for profile
• Serviced SH3135 Movement
• WSO 501B Hollow End Links
• WSO Oyster Hollow Links
• ⁠Clark’s Click Spring

GENUINE PARTS:
-Tritium 16610 dial (aged)
-Datewheel
-LEC Crystal (No AR)
-Rolex Crown
-Bezel Insert
-Luminova Hands (baked)

Case has been heavily aged, has scratches and dings all over. Insert has scratches as well as the crystal. This is not a perfect watch! But it does have perfect patina…very cool looking neo-vintage watch.

Can anyone confirm whether: (1) the alleged genuine parts are legit and (2) whether the build seems worth $1650. I do love the aesthetic.

Pictures below.

BlueLineFarmer

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/21
Who is the seller?

I will let the experts pipe in if the parts are indeed gen.

If all the parts are gen looks like the price is a good deal. Having said that don't base your decision on my post, let the experts chime in if the parts are indeed gen.

If parts are not gen don't buy the watch at the asking price.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
That seems like a good spec and a decent build. All the gen parts look legit - nothing seems changed since it was approved and sold here. The price is the same as when it was last sold here too, so I'd say that's fair enough (given that gen parts prices continue to rise).

I'm not that nuts about the slightly battered appearance, but that's just down to personal preference.

The best way to allay any concerns is to ask the seller to do a reserved sale for you here.

Last edited:
Reactions: johloo

mjs22075

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
8/8/18
UK Yorkshire
I would only buy it if offered on a reserved sale here on RWI. You have some level of protection if the sale goes wrong. Nice watch btw.

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Is it worth $1650? That's only a question you can answer.

My build is more than double, and to me it's worth it....
jrEHni.jpg

Reactions: Dpap and p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Following on from markiemark's comment and his lovely build, I'll just add that I have a number of 16610 frankens, and prices have ranged from around £1200 to £2100 ($1500 to $2600). So price-wise the OP's seems fair.

Pennoyer22

Horology Curious
6/10/21
Thank you all for the comments! I appreciate the input!

By the way, p0pperini and markiemark - you both have gorgeous vintage sub builds! I'm very jealous. I hope I get one of my own soon.

Last edited:

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Price ain’t bad to be fair. The white hands (luminova) vs yellow hour markers (tritium) would annoy my eyes....despite it being a thing on some serviced gens.

could always get a relume I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
The datewheel seems a bit odd.. the 17 seems to be bleeding a bit.

Unless JF updated their case, those dates will always align slightly to the left on a gen dial bc the case is slightly wider than gen. I learned this the hard way.

Overall, solid build imo. The lugs need a bit of beveling and I’d slap a open 6/9s date wheel on it. Make it look more legit.

The insert is amazing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscarwilder123

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/4/20
The datewheel seems a bit odd.. the 17 seems to be bleeding a bit.

Unless JF updated their case, those dates will always align slightly to the left on a gen dial bc the case is slightly wider than gen. I learned this the hard way.

Overall, solid build imo. The lugs need a bit of beveling and I’d slap a open 6/9s date wheel on it. Make it look more legit.

The insert is amazing though.

You mention wider case I’m assume the inner diameter, meaning a Gen dial wouldn’t work using a JF as the base Watch ?

Sent from the RWI App

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
You mention wider case I’m assume the inner diameter, meaning a Gen dial wouldn’t work using a JF as the base Watch ?

Sent from the RWI App

Yep. The gen dial is about 0.3mm (I think. I can’t remember) smaller than JF. So the dial will move towards the crown when you pull. Of course, there is a way around it but you would have to basically tighten the hell out of the movement screws to mount them as tight as possible.

The only reason I know this is because when I started my 16800 build with my JF a while back, I put a gen dial, VR3135, gen datewheel, gen tube, gen crown and even gen mounting screws. Everything would line up perfectly until I put it all in the case and set the time. Then it would pull slightly to the right.

It was driving me crazy and I still couldn’t figure out wtf the issue was. It was only after I got my ST case and tried putting the JF dial in the ST case is when I realized the difference. The JF dial doesn’t even fit in the ST case.

You can tell in his picture by looking at the market at 2 and the market around 8. 2 is slightly shorter than the marker at 8. Which should be even on both sides.

Last edited: