• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

You have $30k which vintage watch would you buy

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
This for 19USD then 29,981USD spend It on beer&hoes
j9JXr4.png

Lmao!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
I would still say there are much better ways to invest $30k than put them into a vintage watch.

If really wanting to invest in watches I'd not go with a single piece in the $30k range, rather spread it out on a few potential neo-vintage pieces.

I agree .. I also invest in other assets, but wanted a nice watch for my birthday in June that would also be an investment.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
I agree.. But that require a lot of research I guess.. Buying a sub these days in my opinion is not always a good investment unless you can buy it retail. 5513 and 5512 is overpriced with the hype IMHO. You can buy some 5 digits black subs which are "basic" to hope it will rise or the sleepy Seadweller (5 digits) and see. Non Rolex I guess you can look at some Omegas and possibly a Calatrava. It will be interesting to see your perspective.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

When you're looking at 4 (now even 5) digit Subs it is SUCH a minefield, that I would rather just entirely stay away. You could get burned in so many ways. Aftermarket parts, non-period correct (but gen) parts etc. etc. there are just so many pitfalls, specially buying these as a non vintage expert.

It's easy to overpay €10k just based on a dial alone that might not be the right dial for that type of bracelet, or case, or clasp is incorrect for the bracelet code I mean, there are just so many things there.

Talking neo-vintage brands and models; Chopard has some great very interesting pieces that I see have a high possibility of being attractive down the line. Prices are soft too. Something like a Chopard 1863 is amazing. 8 day power-reserve, geneva seal, hand-finished, solid gold case, great size, it's really the complete package and in my opinion massively undervalued (and underappreciated).

Staying within Chopard, the Chopard Tonneau is a future contender too. Also very affordable. You have brands like BlancPain where prices have massively gone up the past ½ year. A Perpetual that sold at 6000 last year, just sold at 34000 this year.

Some really interesting and way more fun pieces out there beyond Rolex. If it must be Rolex, make an effort to establish a good relationship with your nearest AD and have him sort you some solid pieces at retail. Nothing wrong with buying a TT DJ if that helps you get a Kermit/GMT at retail. 30k should get you something nice where you'd still be up marketvalue wise out the door..

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
When you're looking at 4 (now even 5) digit Subs it is SUCH a minefield, that I would rather just entirely stay away. You could get burned in so many ways. Aftermarket parts, non-period correct (but gen) parts etc. etc. there are just so many pitfalls, specially buying these as a non vintage expert.

It's easy to overpay €10k just based on a dial alone that might not be the right dial for that type of bracelet, or case, or clasp is incorrect for the bracelet code I mean, there are just so many things there.

Talking neo-vintage brands and models; Chopard has some great very interesting pieces that I see have a high possibility of being attractive down the line. Prices are soft too. Something like a Chopard 1863 is amazing. 8 day power-reserve, geneva seal, hand-finished, solid gold case, great size, it's really the complete package and in my opinion massively undervalued (and underappreciated).

Staying within Chopard, the Chopard Tonneau is a future contender too. Also very affordable. You have brands like BlancPain where prices have massively gone up the past ½ year. A Perpetual that sold at 6000 last year, just sold at 34000 this year.

Some really interesting and way more fun pieces out there beyond Rolex. If it must be Rolex, make an effort to establish a good relationship with your nearest AD and have him sort you some solid pieces at retail. Nothing wrong with buying a TT DJ if that helps you get a Kermit/GMT at retail. 30k should get you something nice where you'd still be up marketvalue wise out the door..
Thanks for your insight. 100% agree with you with 4 digits Rolex is a minefield! My dad is a watch dealer for over 40 yrs, pre covid I go to the Munich watch show with him to learn from him, so many frankens and mashed up parts like you said. We once gonna buy a 1665 double red but forgot to do the blue light test on the dial (on the loupe the dial and lune looks good), but luckily a friend has a torch and the damn dial glowed! That was was 40K eur I think.

I lost my relationship with ADs as I simply stopped buy gen watches and paid off my mortgage instead. In hindsight I should've bought watches as we all know they all went up. I was seriously considering buying a Platona 116506 (it was £45k when I was looking and below retail), but I figured I should pay if my mortgage first, but man how wrong am I now! Haha

A lot of my friends have to buy a lot more "scraps" before they can get any decent Rolex model. Im talking TT sky dweller, pearl dial WG daytonas and even obscure brands you will loose 50% off retail just so they can buy some hype models. For me I'm sick of this gen game. There's more to life than wearing a gen watch, I rather use the money to do something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
Thanks for your insight. 100% agree with you with 4 digits Rolex is a minefield! My dad is a watch dealer for over 40 yrs, pre covid I go to the Munich watch show with him to learn from him, so many frankens and mashed up parts like you said. We once gonna buy a 1665 double red but forgot to do the blue light test on the dial (on the loupe the dial and lune looks good), but luckily a friend has a torch and the damn dial glowed! That was was 40K eur I think.

I lost my relationship with ADs as I simply stopped buy gen watches and paid off my mortgage instead. In hindsight I should've bought watches as we all know they all went up. I was seriously considering buying a Platona 116506 (it was £45k when I was looking and below retail), but I figured I should pay if my mortgage first, but man how wrong am I now! Haha

A lot of my friends have to buy a lot more "scraps" before they can get any decent Rolex model. Im talking TT sky dweller, pearl dial WG daytonas and even obscure brands you will loose 50% off retail just so they can buy some hype models. For me I'm sick of this gen game. There's more to life than wearing a gen watch, I rather use the money to do something else.

I might end up with a yodog build with gen parts after reading your post lol

Last edited:

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10

I was also eyeing a breguet tradition gmt..

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
This is on my list as well .. not for investment but just because I think it’s an amazing and cool watch..
3ab9508ea26da94ee143a33233b9ee06.png

Last edited:

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
This is on my list as well .. not for investment but just because I think it’s an amazing and cool watch..
3ab9508ea26da94ee143a33233b9ee06.png

But there's a reasonably good rep for this isn't it?

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
But there's a reasonably good rep for this isn't it?

Nope.. they have the regular tradition.. nice rep but the damn bridges are too small and it bugs the shit out of me.

AF_FNQ

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/10/10
LOL !!!!!! multiply the budget by 10 and you'll get a nice sample if you are lucky. !!!!

Hey....in my wildest dreams I know, but if I was cashed up, it would be the watch out of anything out there that I would buy. It has the elegance of Rolex, but with the old world charm of numbers, and with just the 3, 6 and 9, an aged simplicity..and unbelievably captures the explorer spirit. It continues on from the Rolex Explorer 5504 where you could envisage that was used in land expeditions, with the 5512 Explorer taking it to the next dimension...underwater. Rolex even went further with the reported test model production run Space Dweller (1016??)..apparently still with the 3, 6, and 9 marker.

And this to me illustrates the justification for Reps and homages....why should such style, beauty and our history be only for those that are able to afford values beyond the means on even moderately wealthy people.....

Ahh...it is just a beautiful watch!!!

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
Hey....in my wildest dreams I know, but if I was cashed up, it would be the watch out of anything out there that I would buy. It has the elegance of Rolex, but with the old world charm of numbers, and with just the 3, 6 and 9, an aged simplicity..and unbelievably captures the explorer spirit. It continues on from the Rolex Explorer 5504 where you could envisage that was used in land expeditions, with the 5512 Explorer taking it to the next dimension...underwater. Rolex even went further with the reported test model production run Space Dweller (1016??)..apparently still with the 3, 6, and 9 marker.

And this to me illustrates the justification for Reps and homages....why should such style, beauty and our history be only for those that are able to afford values beyond the means on even moderately wealthy people.....

Ahh...it is just a beautiful watch!!!

at that point you 're right and then for even less than 30k you can get a nice 5512 explorer Franken

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
at that point you 're right and then for even less than 30k you can get a nice 5512 explorer Franken

I’d have the gen in a safety deposit box and just wear the fraken

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Speedy Pre Moon and if any change left a four-digit Sub.

Reactions: Dpap

Dino2018

Patron
Certified
14/3/18
Interesting post with plenty of knowledgable people here!

I'd go for a Vacheron Constantin or Audemars Piguet perpetual calendar, you can not go wrong with these and would end never selling them for the pleasure of gifting to your younger generations...