• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

6610 custom build

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello manodeoro ,
unfortunately I do not have access to a lathe. So I won't be able to reshape that bezel. Does anyone know if it's possible to source a gen spec bezel?
thanks

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Hello manodeoro ,
unfortunately I do not have access to a lathe. So I won't be able to reshape that bezel. Does anyone know if it's possible to source a gen spec bezel?
thanks
@invetero ... would you share a link to the bezel you bought on eBay ?

Envoyé de mon moto g(9) power en utilisant Tapatalk

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello everybody,
here is my first attempt at aging a dial. I used water based brown paint (aquarel), with satin varnish in spray can.
I'm honestly not sure what to make of it.

What do y'all think?
Thanks

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Hello everybody,
here is my first attempt at aging a dial. I used water based brown paint (aquarel), with satin varnish in spray can.
I'm honestly not sure what to make of it.

What do y'all think?
Thanks
I think is a good attempt. Personally I haven't done it before. But I read a lot of people simply uses coffee and UV lamp to age the lume. I think a lot of people had done it on the homage forum so I would suggest your take a look there to see what others had trial and tested.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
freebalkany Meh. You should have thinned out the paint with some water or paint thinner ( if oil based) to get an even and less dramatic color to the lume. when I age mine I usually apply it in 2-4 light coats with either a very fine brush or a movement oilier tool thinning the paint give you a bit more control over the color in order to get an even tone.

youll get better with practice.

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello 369mafia ,
You're right the dial aging doesn't look good. I did thin out the paint, but mostly likely not enough!

This is the paint I used:

Otherwise, I have received the donor watch. The movement does not run at all, but the balance seems fine. I have the feeling it's going to be quite a challenge

Movement picture is a bit blurry.

Also the new rotor seems to fit.

So next step will be a full strip down and service.

Reactions: 369mafia

Invetero

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/11/20

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello Invetero ,
a very nice build you have here. I will definitely order that bezel. I see in the description that they mention the bezel is for 34mm case but mentioning the 16014, which is a 36mm case. So I suppose it is just a mistake.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Invetero

23/11/20
Hello Invetero ,
a very nice build you have here. I will definitely order that bezel. I see in the description that they mention the bezel is for 34mm case but mentioning the 16014, which is a 36mm case. So I suppose it is just a mistake.

Thank you!

thank you mate ! in fact the description is right, the bezel for 36mm explorer is indeed 34mm, as is the raffles bezel.
however please note that the shipping was very slow it took a good 3 weeks to arrive...

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello,

Yesterday I did a full strip down of the ETA movement. I noticed that I couple of parts were broken.

So in all, I need to replace the following:

* Mainspring
* Canon pinion
* Hour wheel
* Intermediate train wheel
* Setting lever (switch to a two position one)

I did order most of the parts already. However I'm having a hard time finding a suitable setting lever (part 445/2).

Next step is to clean up everything with the ultrasonic machine.

Reactions: Dohdoh

Toofsy

Known Member
3/4/12
Work in progress on my 1016 raffledial, the pic is the first layer of my watercolor mix, the number 9 is stock. At the end I applied two thin layer of paint, following the 369mafia advice
286cf3dd2e10376466d92467c751601c.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 369mafia

squar3pants

Known Member
31/5/11
Explorer face off is ON!

Relume looks fantastic, any chance lume get affected?

I’m also doing a very similar build. Just ordered the parts and hopefully I can put them together next month or so.

Part list so far:

Raffles 6610 dial, explorer case and 6mm brevet crown
Clark T21 crystal
34mm bezel mentioned above

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello there,

It has been a while I haven't made any updates. I did a lot of waiting around for parts to show up.
I did receive the new bezel, I had to work it a bit with the dremel to make it fit. I wanted to have it as tight as possible. Unfortunately the bezel aperture was not wide enough and I shattered the crystal. So I have to wait again for a new crystal. Not too bad, it's cheap and easy to obtain part.
jtTDo3.jpg

I also did some aging on the dial with some very light diluted water based paint and a thin layer of satin varnish.
jtT35D.jpg
jtTj0Y.jpg
jtTZPs.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello,

so my project is now mostly completed. Lots of things I learn and lots of mistakes I made.

Regarding the eta 2846:

Turns out it's wouldn't normally fit in the raffle 2824 case. Since the stem height of the 2846 is higher than the 2824. However, since I'm not running a date complication. I removed the dial spacer and everything lines up well. If I hadn't modifyed the case, the hands would have hit the crystal. But since I have an acrylic one, it's not a problem.

Also, at the beginning during service I replaced the original mainspring with the one from a 2824. What happened is that the mainspring from the 2824 is too strong and would yield way too high an amplitude (~340 degrees) causing the balance to "overbank", thus throwing off the timekeeping. I had to refit the older mainspring and now everything is fine. This is due to the difference of beat per hours between the two movements.

So to anyone wanting to convert an eta 2824 to a low beat movement by installing an escapment from an ETA 2846, don't forget to also replace the mainspring.

Another major annoyance I had, is the return spring from the keyless mechanism not wanting to stay in place when removing the stem. So I had to refit it 3 times by removing hands and dials, very annoying. Which is also why I feel a bit reticent shortening the stem more. It fits, but I now I could maybe shave half a milimeter more.

As for the timekeeping, I managed to get running fairly well, let's see how the timekeeping will be with real world usage.

Otherwise I'm quite happy very everything. I'm just not so sure about the bracelet, since to me the quality feels quite cheap and rattly. But maybe the originals were also like that. I might install a rubber tropic strap.

Reactions: Invetero

squar3pants

Known Member
31/5/11
Hello,
I wanted to ask, as anyone experience with the Athaya 24-600 crown? http://parts.athayavintage.com/product/aftermarket-24-600-crown-and-tube-dash/
Are they better than the raffles in term of shape?
Would they fit on my case?
Thanks

Also adding some pictures that I forgot to add in my previous upload

Lovely build. My build is almost ready. Still for a movement spacer to fit the swatch ETA 2840.

Where do you get the white second hand? Can’t seems to find one that will fit ETA.

Invetero

23/11/20
Hello,

so my project is now mostly completed. Lots of things I learn and lots of mistakes I made.

Regarding the eta 2846:

Turns out it's wouldn't normally fit in the raffle 2824 case. Since the stem height of the 2846 is higher than the 2824. However, since I'm not running a date complication. I removed the dial spacer and everything lines up well. If I hadn't modifyed the case, the hands would have hit the crystal. But since I have an acrylic one, it's not a problem.

Also, at the beginning during service I replaced the original mainspring with the one from a 2824. What happened is that the mainspring from the 2824 is too strong and would yield way too high an amplitude (~340 degrees) causing the balance to "overbank", thus throwing off the timekeeping. I had to refit the older mainspring and now everything is fine. This is due to the difference of beat per hours between the two movements.

So to anyone wanting to convert an eta 2824 to a low beat movement by installing an escapment from an ETA 2846, don't forget to also replace the mainspring.

Another major annoyance I had, is the return spring from the keyless mechanism not wanting to stay in place when removing the stem. So I had to refit it 3 times by removing hands and dials, very annoying. Which is also why I feel a bit reticent shortening the stem more. It fits, but I now I could maybe shave half a milimeter more.

As for the timekeeping, I managed to get running fairly well, let's see how the timekeeping will be with real world usage.

Otherwise I'm quite happy very everything. I'm just not so sure about the bracelet, since to me the quality feels quite cheap and rattly. But maybe the originals were also like that. I might install a rubber tropic strap.

looks absolutely stunning, is that the ebay bezel ? mine fitted pefectly the crystal there was no need for dremeling it but tolerance may not be that great lol

Btw I received my last raffles order and he has a new oyster case supplier, they are really quite bad compared to the previous ones we had... massive lugs, fat caseback etc... for anyone wanting to build the same watch maybe you should consider case reshapping or finding another supplier...

Reactions: Niko1U