• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

6610 custom build

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Hey ward the other raffles at ebay makes a long mercedes hands for 6200 he has not stock but i send him a pm asking

jiXYBK.jpg

It seems those hands are for DG2813 only ... I searched raffles at ebay and found none for ETA movements

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
It seems those hands are for DG2813 only ... I searched raffles at ebay and found none for ETA movements

Yeah out of stock so you cant find them, but IM the seller please maybe if a few of us ask, he may try re stock.

check this out

jiERi1.jpg

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Yeah out of stock so you cant find them, but IM the seller please maybe if a few of us ask, he may try re stock.

check this out

jiERi1.jpg
Thanks !!!

Envoyé de mon moto g(9) power en utilisant Tapatalk

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
What are the alternatives for a better dial? Gilt from Ruby?

You have ruby, MQ, Phong and a few ebay sellers that come and go offering viet dials for a slighlty better price ( like 30usd less or so) if you are patient enough to wait for them, fair warn they are a hit or a miss some of their dials are perfect and some come faulty so keep that in mind, ruby has a better quality control tho

freebalkany

24/8/21
You have ruby, MQ, Phong and a few ebay sellers that come and go offering viet dials for a slighlty better price ( like 30usd less or so) if you are patient enough to wait for them, fair warn they are a hit or a miss some of their dials are perfect and some come faulty so keep that in mind, ruby has a better quality control tho

Interesting. what keywords do you use for you eBay search?

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello,
short update regarding my build.

I have received my order from raffles today so I wanted to share it with you.

I've got a rivet bracelet, a 6610 dial and an explorer case. I find both the bracelet and the dial to be very good. However I am not so sure about the case. I haven't taken it apart yet, but it looks like the bezel is the wrong shape.

Here are a couple of pictures, sorry for the poor quality.
Dial:

Case:

As mentioned the bezel looks weird, it has this round shape which is different from the 1016.

Bracelet:

Toofsy

Known Member
3/4/12
Nice set, but for sure it's not an explo bezel. I received mine from from raffle 2 month ago and it's more accurate. Did you ask to raffle if it's not a mistake?
545bebce7b6237b2d5b16caa4dafe7e3.jpg

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Hello Toofsy , it looks like I've ordered the case with the domed bezel instead of the smooth one.

well ... too bad you ordrered the wrong set ... but you can get a spare smooth bezel from Raffles ...

BTW ... you will have to rework you caseback to make it look like this

you don't need a lathe to do this if you have a dremmel ... I did it on my 6610 red depth and the result looks good

freebalkany

24/8/21
well ... too bad you ordrered the wrong set ... but you can get a spare smooth bezel from Raffles ...

BTW ... you will have to rework you caseback to make it look like this

you don't need a lathe to do this if you have a dremmel ... I did it on my 6610 red depth and the result looks good

Hello,
I've just made yet another order for the brevet crown and the correct bezel. I also took the bezel out today. I need to mesure and to order the correct crystal from Sternkreuz.

As for working on the bezel shape, I have no idea how I can achieve that, but I'm willing to give it a try. Also, I will need to buy a dremel at some point.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
@freekalbany you can rework the inside diameter of the bezel with a stone sanding drum on a Dremel ...
1 - put the bezel vertically on a sleepy surface
2 - sand the inside ... dremel at slow speed
3 - let the bezel turn freely while you're sanding
4 - check every minute ... the inside diameter should be a tad smaller than the plexi

EDIT 21/10/12 :
I'll try to make a video next time I'll do that mod

Last edited:
Reactions: Toofsy and KJ2020

Toofsy

Known Member
3/4/12
I ordered 2 different plexi shapes for my raffle case (1016 project).
One sternkreuz from cousin UK called T21
One from an Italian eBay call T22

The both are perfectly adjusted to the rehaut.
The T22 is a little bit wider on the external diameter and need to use one minute more the manodeoro's technic to open the bezel.
I personally prefer the T21 look for my project and will stay with this option.
The T22 is more domed to the center.

Manodeoro thanks for the take it's really easy and safe
4b74343a04d9deb8acccef9ba2d92792.jpg
81a752b3b3834015e36b7bbcec283f2f.jpg

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Hello,
short update regarding my build.

I have received my order from raffles today so I wanted to share it with you.

I've got a rivet bracelet, a 6610 dial and an explorer case. I find both the bracelet and the dial to be very good. However I am not so sure about the case. I haven't taken it apart yet, but it looks like the bezel is the wrong shape.

Here are a couple of pictures, sorry for the poor quality.
Dial:

Case:

As mentioned the bezel looks weird, it has this round shape which is different from the 1016.

Bracelet:
Fun, fun. My explorer parts from raffles are almost out for delivery. Can't wait! (Hope i got the right bezel)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hey ward1991 ,

I like what you did here with your dial.
Truth be told, I'm quite wary of doing any aging process to the dial or hands since I have no experience with it at all.
Would you mind telling me what you did exactly here?
Did you just spray tinted nitrocellulose lacquer against your dial? Or was the process somehow more involved?

Thanks

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Hey ward1991 ,

Truth be told, I'm quite wary of doing any aging process to the dial or hands since I have no experience with it at all.
Did you just spray tinted nitrocellulose lacquer against your dial? Or was the process somehow more involved?

Thanks

So, in the past, I have used the coffee methods where you essentially stain the dial with coffee. I've also used the cooking method where you use an oven to apply heat.

I dont like coffee aging. Or atleast I've not perfected it. And using the oven is risky because it can fry the dial to a crisp.

So this time I thought, what about using Nitro Guitar Laquer? I used to build guitars, id use old-school nitrocellulose from the Stewart macdonald website.

It is a tinted laquer that is more transparent than spray paint. However, it still has plenty of color in it so I was careful.

I had a test scrap dial that I tried first.

So ALL I did, was this
-Starting as far away from the dial as possible, first with red tint, I spray one tiny micro burst of the lacquer at the dial, to "splotch" or "pepper" it lightly with the red tint.

Then, from the same distance I again sprayed it with the Amber for an ever so slightly longer burst. This mixed with the red, made the red spread out slightly on the lume plots and then of course created a more amber to slight orange color.

after each spray I used a heat gun on low like always (really far away from dial) it dries the laquer almost immediately.

Lastly, I sprayed it lightly with a few passes of the matte acrylic finish and then I was done.

Took me about 5 mins and for once, a new idea worked out perfectly on the first try. Its exactly what I wanted.

The best part is, you control is so easy by starting as far away from the dial as you want. With each foot, or inches closer, it will have slighty more of an effect, so you can choose your level of color.

I'd always suggest a trying a scrap dial first with anything you do.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Hey ward1991 ,

Thanks

Better pics in daylight. It looks like it has a slight infection! The one on bottom is the test. Purposefully sprayed a little more on it just to see the affect.

The top of the scrap dial got real "tropical". That could be interesting for future builds.

Reactions: mir36

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Slapped it together for now. Will do some case shaping, correct handset, brevet crown, caseback reshaping.