• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

6610 custom build

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello, I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a while. I'm quite into watchmaking and service my own watches. I do it as a hobby.

I have some experience working on Adolf Schild and seiko movements.

Not a big fan of modern watchmaking. I always find them too big and tacky.

I've recently decided to bite the bullet and built my own vintage watch. I have chosen the reference 6610. I don't plan on using any gen parts.

My goal is the following:
Here is a breakdown of what I'm planning to do:

Dial: This one will be from raffles, standard 28.5mm dial with ETA and Miyota feet

Case: For this one I'm not sure, it will be either a raffle 2824 explorer case or a tiger concept 1610p case. With the former, I plan on replacing the crystal with Sternkreuz acrylic one. I am however not sure if I can install a acrylic crystal on a raffle case.

Crown: For both case, I want to replace the crown with a raffle 6mm vintage one

Hands: Golden mercedes hands with white second hand from raffle

Movement: For the movement I'm planning an ETA 2846 that I will buy used and service. I also plan on removing the date wheel and changing the setting lever to avoid ghost date change.

Bracelet: will be a 20mm rivet style also from raffle

I haven't bought anything just yet. I plan on updating my progress here. I'm very slow with that kind of stuff, so please be patient.

Any input is welcome!

Thank you

Reactions: mir36 and KJ2020

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Welcome to the forum! Are you planning on keeping this a ‘budget build’? If not, I’d suggest a bracelet upgrade to Ruby and-if budget allows, a better dial. But...if the budget is already tight, then I look forward to seeing what you create.

Reactions: KJ2020

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello deadpan ,
For now I'd like to keep the build budget friendly.
I had a look at ruby, but from what I can see the dials are designed to be used on gen rolex caliber. So it might not be the best fit for me.

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Hello deadpan ,
For now I'd like to keep the build budget friendly.
I had a look at ruby, but from what I can see the dials are designed to be used on gen rolex caliber. So it might not be the best fit for me.

They do have dial feet for gen calibers, but most here clip the dial feet on those and mount on other movements. There are also some on here that will mount new dial feet, but lots of people either use dial dots, or another method.

Budget friendly sounds good though-look forward to what you build.

freebalkany

24/8/21
For me cutting the dial feet feels a bit too much of a compromise. And I don't have the skills to solder new dial feet on. I know that you can also add adhesive dial feet, but I've never tried that. So I think for now, I will stick to an ETA compatible dial.

Reactions: deadpan

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
Hello

im doing the same build yours look fantastic im really in love with lollipops always they are such a nice detail so:

1.- Yes you can replace the raffles crystal with a T21 specs ( if you buy in Europe the exact referece from cousins its C8483 (XS 306.449) the last one its the sternkreutz ref
2.- gen 6mm crowns are like $50 -$30 used fyi

i will suscribe i bet you will end up with a fantastic build!

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hey d4v3
thanks for the tip, I will definitely buy that crystal you mentioned.
For the crown I'm not sure yet. Plus if I buy a gen one I'm afraid it might not fit the stem.
Also just to avoid confusion, the picture I posted is an example of what I believe to be a gen model. My build doesn't exist as of yet.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Another user posted a thread about his red depth 6610 the other day, ever since I've had the urge to start a 6610 too, I may just follow alongside you with my own build. Subscribed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Great project !!!
Mine says hello ????

c0529c4fc53a1bd01a110bad2fec9392.jpg

Envoyé de mon moto g(9) power en utilisant Tapatalk

Toofsy

Known Member
3/4/12
Nice project,
I'm working on a similar project with mainly raffle components. Regarding the plexi mentioned above from cousin UK you will have to enlarge the internal diameter of the bezel (easily) with a Dremel to fit the outside diameter of the plexi.
2cbf791c5cccefdb96bd8afc57b9b81f.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020 and ward1991

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
+1 about Toofsy note about the bezel ring ...

some tips ... lessons larned while building my own 6610 red depth

Case :
The one from Raffles is a bit too thick but looks OK for a budget build
Having it shaved down on the upper side later (more or less 0.6mm) would be a nice mod ... the look will be more genlike
If you do that do NOT shave the rehaut down ... it will help the crystal to sit higher from the bezel ring
Later, if your build proves to be a keeper, you can have the case and caseback reengraved ... at the least the case beteween the lugs if you want to wear it on a lather strap

Plexi :
Before ordering a plexi you'd better first measure the rehaut exterior diameter on the raffles case ...
Select some plexis ... if you can find one with an interior diameter a tad smaller than the rehaut exterior diameter then choose that one ... that way you'll get a tight fit and have a chance to make your watch waterproof

Bezel :
as Toofsy wrote ... enlarge the interior diameter of the bezel ring with a dremel stone sanding drum ...

work slowly and check every two minutes ... the interior diameter of the bezel ring should be a tad smaller than the exterior diameter of the plexi ...
just a tad !!! too small you could brake the plexi ... too large you'll get a loose fit ...
the best is when you can put the bezel on the plexi by hand but need a crystal press to push it all the way

Crown :
IMHO a 6610 deserves a 6mm "Brevet +" crown ...
unfortunately the gens rarely show up under $200 but raffles have a nice one for $20 only

Dial :
Those from Raffles are gold-printed on black, not real negative-gilt as a 6610 should be, but they can do the job for a budget build
You still can upgrade and swap for a real gilt dial later ...
Or an albino one :p

Movement :
A low beat (2770 or 2776) would be best but a 2824-2 will do ... as long as you change the original 3 positions set bridge for an ETA 2801 set bridge ... with 2 positions only.
I've made that mod a bunch of time, both on ETA and Asian, without any issue.

Bracelet :
Main problem with the one from Raffles is the clasp ...
Nevertheless ... age it a little and you'll get something really nice

Have a nice buid journey ... I'll follow that with much interest ...

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello manodeoro & @Toofsy

A lot of information here, much appreciated.

Regarding the crown, I've looked online quite a bit and I've seen both the crown with '-' and the '+' popping up on 1957 6610.
I've ordered bracelet, case & dials yesterday from raffles. Hopefully it will turn up soon. For the acrylic crystal I will wait to receive the case and measure everything before taking a decision.
Also what do y'all think of the tiger concept case?

When it comes to the movement, I believe I will go for a used ETA 2824, replace the setting lever spring and remove the date wheel.
I've also seen that the ETA 2451 is a popular movement for such build. It is also fairly easy to find and reasonably priced. The problem being that I'm pretty sure the dial feet are positioned differently that on the 2824.

Reactions: Toofsy

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16

Regarding the crown, I've looked online quite a bit and I've seen both the crown with '-' and the '+' popping up on 1957 6610.
I've ordered bracelet, case & dials yesterday from raffles. Hopefully it will turn up soon. For the acrylic crystal I will wait to receive the case and measure everything before taking a decision.

When it comes to the movement, I believe I will go for a used ETA 2824, replace the setting lever spring and remove the date wheel.
I've also seen that the ETA 2451 is a popular movement for such build. It is also fairly easy to find and reasonably priced. The problem being that I'm pretty sure the dial feet are positioned differently that on the 2824.

ETA movements and dial feet positions :cry:
Same question every time I want to swap a movement ... but I never take time to save that info somewhere :p
2824-2 / 28XX : 12 and 42
27XX / 24XX : 11 and 41
So if you want to use a 2451 movement you'll have to clip the dial feet and move them about 1" ...

But honestly ... if you source a nice working ETA 2451 you'd better keep it for a Tudor build ... ETA 2451 was the base caliber for Tudor 2483 ;)

Reactions: squar3pants

freebalkany

24/8/21
Thanks for the info.
I believe I will just go the modified eta 2824. I also noticed you can buy some branded rotors directly on Aliexpress. Could be a nice touch

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks for the info.
I believe I will just go the modified eta 2824. I also noticed you can buy some branded rotors directly on Aliexpress. Could be a nice touch
Hmmm ... not worthy IMHO ... not even the slightest chance that a "Rolex branded" rotor on an ETA caliber could ever mimic that beauty ...

fb35e867da294f4644feb851770314f7.jpg

But you can get a 1030 caliber for 2K$ more or less ... LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: deadpan

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13

I ordered from raffles yesterday too :)
We can have an explorer-off lol

Rivet bracelt
6610 Case set
Gold hands
Gilt dial

Then a tropic 21 from clarks(fingers crossed)
A seagull 2824 clone from ebay
Budget all the way. Then if I like it enough to keep, ill at some nicer parts as I go if need be.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
Hey ward the other raffles at ebay makes a long mercedes hands for 6200 he has not stock but i send him a pm asking

jiXYBK.jpg

Reactions: 369mafia

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
This handset have also 13mm long minute hand and the long mercedes who no one else offers that i know of watcha reckon?