6610 custom build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,
    I wanted to ask, as anyone experience with the Athaya 24-600 crown? http://parts.athayavintage.com/produ...and-tube-dash/
    Are they better than the raffles in term of shape?
    Would they fit on my case?
    Thanks

Also adding some pictures that I forgot to add in my previous upload

Comment

Originally posted by freebalkany View Post
      Hello,
      I wanted to ask, as anyone experience with the Athaya 24-600 crown? http://parts.athayavintage.com/produ...and-tube-dash/
      Are they better than the raffles in term of shape?
      Would they fit on my case?
      Thanks

Also adding some pictures that I forgot to add in my previous upload

Lovely build. My build is almost ready. Still for a movement spacer to fit the swatch ETA 2840.

Where do you get the white second hand? Can’t seems to find one that will fit ETA.

Comment

Originally posted by squar3pants View Post

Lovely build. My build is almost ready. Still for a movement spacer to fit the swatch ETA 2840.

Where do you get the white second hand? Can’t seems to find one that will fit ETA.
        Hello,
        I've used the following hand set for my build http://www.tiger-concept.com/hands-all.html (Type J)

Comment

Wow. They look really good. Will order from them thx

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Comment

Hello,

so my project is now mostly completed. Lots of things I learn and lots of mistakes I made.

Regarding the eta 2846:

Turns out it's wouldn't normally fit in the raffle 2824 case. Since the stem height of the 2846 is higher than the 2824. However, since I'm not running a date complication. I removed the dial spacer and everything lines up well. If I hadn't modifyed the case, the hands would have hit the crystal. But since I have an acrylic one, it's not a problem.

Also, at the beginning during service I replaced the original mainspring with the one from a 2824. What happened is that the mainspring from the 2824 is too strong and would yield way too high an amplitude (~340 degrees) causing the balance to "overbank", thus throwing off the timekeeping. I had to refit the older mainspring and now everything is fine. This is due to the difference of beat per hours between the two movements.

So to anyone wanting to convert an eta 2824 to a low beat movement by installing an escapment from an ETA 2846, don't forget to also replace the mainspring.

Another major annoyance I had, is the return spring from the keyless mechanism not wanting to stay in place when removing the stem. So I had to refit it 3 times by removing hands and dials, very annoying. Which is also why I feel a bit reticent shortening the stem more. It fits, but I now I could maybe shave half a milimeter more.

As for the timekeeping, I managed to get running fairly well, let's see how the timekeeping will be with real world usage.

Otherwise I'm quite happy very everything. I'm just not so sure about the bracelet, since to me the quality feels quite cheap and rattly. But maybe the originals were also like that. I might install a rubber tropic strap.

looks absolutely stunning, is that the ebay bezel ? mine fitted pefectly the crystal there was no need for dremeling it but tolerance may not be that great lol

Btw I received my last raffles order and he has a new oyster case supplier, they are really quite bad compared to the previous ones we had... massive lugs, fat caseback etc... for anyone wanting to build the same watch maybe you should consider case reshapping or finding another supplier...

Comment

Originally posted by Invetero View Post

looks absolutely stunning, is that the ebay bezel ? mine fitted pefectly the crystal there was no need for dremeling it but tolerance may not be that great lol

Btw I received my last raffles order and he has a new oyster case supplier, they are really quite bad compared to the previous ones we had... massive lugs, fat caseback etc... for anyone wanting to build the same watch maybe you should consider case reshapping or finding another supplier...
              Hey there,
              Yes that's the ebay bezel you mentioned last time. Thanks for the link BTW.
              I'm using tropic t21 crystal and it definitely did not fit without reworking it with the dremel. I actually shattered the first crystal trying to fit it.

Concerning the raffle oyster case, I don't know which model I have since it's my first one. Do you see any differences between yours and mine?
              I also noticed he has a new 6538 case, which I have to say is quite tempting.

Comment

Hey there,
                Yes that's the ebay bezel you mentioned last time. Thanks for the link BTW.
                I'm using tropic t21 crystal and it definitely did not fit without reworking it with the dremel. I actually shattered the first crystal trying to fit it.

Concerning the raffle oyster case, I don't know which model I have since it's my first one. Do you see any differences between yours and mine?
                I also noticed he has a new 6538 case, which I have to say is quite tempting.
                yeah the T21 has a larger outer diameter, that bezel is made for the 25-135 crystal and then you have to sand off the cyclops but thats easy job,
                regarding the case I think we have the same, 36mm oyster case for 2824 with lug holes, just be aware that if you order one now you won't get the same as you have unfortunately...
                btw Im building another 1016 with cartier dial from old raffles parts + the ebay bezel, I might post some pics if you want

Comment

Originally posted by Invetero View Post
                  can you post some pictures of the case, so we know how it looks now?

Comment

freebalkany nice job on the build. the aged lume looks great.. be sure to do the hands to match as well and it will be a great daily!!

WANTED: ROLEX 6541 Milgauss Faraday Cage / Case back
                    Too many watches...not enough time...

Comment

Originally posted by 369mafia View Post
                      freebalkany nice job on the build. the aged lume looks great.. be sure to do the hands to match as well and it will be a great daily!!

Thanks for the kind words. I think the build will stay like that for now. Maybe in the future, I will relume the hands (I will need practice for that) or even buy a better 1016 dial and hand set.

Otherwise, the watch has been working great so far. I'm loosing roughly 1 minute a week. The bracelet came apart once and I had to remove all the link screws and secure everything with loctite. The watch is also fairly water resistant, I can do everything with it without any fogging.

It actually has become my daily driver.

Otherwise I have another project in the pipe. I got my hands on a gen 5500 case. I also have a gen air king dial on the way as well as an ETA 2770. I might create another post for this new project.

Comment

I look fwd to seeing your next build!! Cheers
                        WANTED: ROLEX 6541 Milgauss Faraday Cage / Case back
                        Too many watches...not enough time...

Comment

@freebalkany What was your thinking regarding aging the bracelet? Worth it. I have a rivet bracelet and trying to think about the extent of aging to apply to it.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkingz View Post
                            @freebalkany What was your thinking regarding aging the bracelet? Worth it. I have a rivet bracelet and trying to think about the extent of aging to apply to it.
                            Hello,
                            I did not do any aging on the bracelet apart from wearing it.

Comment

Working...
                            X