• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Seamaster 166.024 project

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
My second "special project is the Seamaster 300 166.024
It is an interesting diver watch produced from 1965 to 1969 sporting some interesting features like the naiad crown. You can read an interesting article here https://www.omegaseamaster300.com/ please do visit the link as there is really a lot of useful info on those early diving times.

Once I found a maker selling these case sets I actually built two of these, one for me and one for a friend. I could find gen cal.562 movements on ebay for a reasonable price so we embarked in this double project. Gen hands and crowns were completing the package nicely.
Unfortunately though both movements revealed to have issues after a short while, and although I gave my friend the best of the two movements (mine was completely dead) he still wasnt't happy with the watch and so after a short discussion we parted ways.
I ended up sending my movement to Domi for a service and now it's back in great condition, I don't know what happened to the other one.

Here is the first watch:

And here is the second one:

As you can see, the first watch (my friend's) features a heavily patinated dial and worn out case while the second one has a cleaner look. I'd be curious to hear which one do you like best?

Lillopistillo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/10/19
Italia
For me obviously the first is the most beautiful and consistent with the years. the only flaw is the bezel that is not up to the masterpiece

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
For me obviously the first is the most beautiful and consistent with the years. the only flaw is the bezel that is not up to the masterpiece

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Indeed, bezel teeth are a bit too fat and the insert could definitely need some better fonts, or at least that's what I see :)

perfecto71

25/7/19
UK
Both are very good.. and these aren't easy to rep. I do like the more worn first one, those hands are great.

It's a shame that no one has nailed a better bezel insert. You can apparently get inside these and change the color a bit though.

The case set Is better than the usual.. are these Vietnam cases?

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Yes the case is from Vietnam.
Removing removing bezel insert is not a joke, there is high risk of breaking it.

Anybody noticed the small Omega logo on the crystal? That's the kind of small detail that drives me crazy

Reactions: perfecto71

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Yes the case is from Vietnam.
Removing removing bezel insert is not a joke, there is high risk of breaking it.

Anybody noticed the small Omega logo on the crystal? That's the kind of small detail that drives me crazy

Great looking watches A.
It’s nice to see that not only Rolex was in the diving business and the design of this Omega is quite cool. Reminds me a bit of the Fifty Fathoms.
Now that you pointed the Logo out you can see it.
Anyway very nice work. Maybe sanding the bezel down would make it more Gen like.