• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 1680 Mk5 - Milk Case Build

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
Hey guys

Over the last few weeks I've been slowly working on this Single Red 1680 Mk5 dial, using the newly released Milk case.

Just wanted to share the build details & some pics

I sourced the VN dial from a friend who had an extra one. It's a very reasonable priced Mk5 dials I've seen floating around M2M, they usually trade for about $200-250 and the quality of the print / lume are both solid at this price point. No additional modding work done here (except to cut the dial feet)

The hands came from another build, modded and relumed, decided to use them as they were a perfect match to the dial lume color.

Crystal is from Clarks.

Movement is a low beat Swiss ETA 2846. I added a custom printed overlay with flat 3 and open 6 & 9. Alignment on the overlay should have been better, but after putting it all together I just couldn't be fussed to completely dismantle the watch and re-align it..

The Milk parts used in this build are the case, crown & tube, and insert - All are absolutely fantastic quality for a build at this price point.

Some pics of the final assembly:

The Milk case is superb for an ETA build. His 1680 case fits a gen spec VN dial with correct diameter at the rehaut. Case profile, bezel, lugs, and CG's are all really nicely finished and no need for additional modding. Much better than using a Cartel base if youre planning an ETA build.

It was a slight challenge getting the case fully assembled as I had never done so before. Some pics of the build process below. I had to re-tap the midcase in order to fully screw down the tube - it was not fitting full flush with the case otherwise.

As was mentioned earlier in Tripdogs post, the Clarks crystal is not pressure fitted and needs to be secured. I used a bit of cyanoacrylate adhesive to secure both crystal & bezel assembly (base).

Once assembled, I tested the case to 5BAR and it passed without any leaks.

To finish off it was just assembly work, I decided to go with another Milk insert to complete the look, as it seemed appropriate !

The insert again was not a "snap in" fit as the inner measurement of the bezel is slightly larger than the insert diameter. I used a small amount of plaster adhesive to secure the insert and I think it looks fine as is. The finishing on the bezel profile is excellent and it measures only 2mm thick.

Once fitted the bezel turns like gen, with a bit of downward pressure while rotating.

Lastly for those curious - I also mounted the Milk case with a Cartel 93160 bracelet and it fits perfectly

Some final pics with a few strap changes!

(The elastic strap is from https://nickmankeydesigns.com/shop/the-hook-strap-elastic-watch-band . They're one of the most comfortable straps I've owned. Pairs perfectly with vintage builds, IWC, etc. I highly recommended checking them out)

Hope everyone has a great week and thanks for stopping by !

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Looks fantastic. I always like when people share build pics.
I am trying to build a 7928 on a cartel basis myself.
If you ever think of a reserved sale. I am standing in line.

Reactions: LuminorReptar

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
Looks fantastic. I always like when people share build pics.
I am trying to build a 7928 on a cartel basis myself.
If you ever think of a reserved sale. I am standing in line.

Thanks for the kind words!

It was a fun project for sure

Unfortunately this one is promised to a close friend of mine

:drinks_cheers:

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Sweet build mate. That doesn't look like a standard raffles DWO, is it?

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Thanks bro!

Correct it’s not a standard Raffles overlay, its a custom print I sourced through one of Milkys contacts a while back. IMO the detailing is a step above Raffles , really nice font.

Yeah thought so haha!

Is it an overlay or a disc? Aligning them is a bitch! I have a little tool for it, but still...

Replica01

I'm Pretty Popular
27/11/16
Great piece!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G981B met Tapatalk

Paullltje

Patron
Certified
1/7/18
EU
Wonderful project! Enjoy wearing it buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mbari

7/1/13
Wonderful build. I'm on the process of building the same thing. Curious if you have any additional date wheel overlay I can purchase from you?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
Yeah thought so haha!

Is it an overlay or a disc? Aligning them is a bitch! I have a little tool for it, but still...

It's actually just an overlay so it wouldn't have been that difficult to remove & reapply. Reason is, during assembly I noticed the Swiss movement has a finicky keyless (as to be expected sometimes with these older movements), hence my reluctance to dismantle the whole thing again.. haha

The good thing at least, with a little bit of manual adjustment in the 2nd setting position the DW can be aligned perfectly, keeps my OCD at bay.. Added some pics below if you'd like to see some of the other date fonts. The best part about this overlay IMO is that it doesn't sit severely left-justified in the higher numbers as it appears with Raffles

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
It's actually just an overlay so it wouldn't have been that difficult to remove & reapply. Reason is, during assembly I noticed the Swiss movement has a finicky keyless (as to be expected sometimes with these older movements), hence my reluctance to dismantle the whole thing again.. haha

The good thing at least, with a little bit of manual adjustment in the 2nd setting position the DW can be aligned perfectly, keeps my OCD at bay.. Added some pics below if you'd like to see some of the other date fonts. The best part about this overlay IMO is that it doesn't sit severely left-justified in the higher numbers as it appears with Raffles

Yes, looks amazing!

CaptainGreenwich

Horology Curious
12/11/20
Simply beautiful, nice work!

Promised myself I'd take at least a few months off purchases, but this new case set might have broken that..

Dan71

Renowned Member
24/4/15
Italy
Nice
Which movement spacer do you used ?
I think is necessary for the eta movement .

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
I kept looking and looking at your build. Really lovely! The crystal not being a good fit is a shame though. The cyanoacrylate can be seen in the crystal reflections.
Now I have the same. I have a Verlux Plexi. Lets see if I can get it on the case without cyanoacrylate. But first I will try with the 5513 case :)

On the 1680 you only have the 30,3 Plexi while on the 5513 you as well have the 30,3 and 30,5 plexi. The Retainer Ring is 30,2. Lets see. I would like to avoid glueing.

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
Thanks bro!

Correct it’s not a standard Raffles overlay, its a custom print I sourced through one of Milkys contacts a while back. IMO the detailing is a step above Raffles , really nice font.

Are these overlays out in the wild as well to be purchased? Really don't want to buy an entire watch just to get the overlay out :)

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
I kept looking and looking at your build. Really lovely! The crystal not being a good fit is a shame though. The cyanoacrylate can be seen in the crystal reflections.
Now I have the same. I have a Verlux Plexi. Lets see if I can get it on the case without cyanoacrylate. But first I will try with the 5513 case :)

On the 1680 you only have the 30,3 Plexi while on the 5513 you as well have the 30,3 and 30,5 plexi. The Retainer Ring is 30,2. Lets see. I would like to avoid glueing.

Thanks man, I agree I didn't do the greatest of jobs gluing the crystal in place. I could however still disassemble it and clean it out properly with a bit of acetone & cape cod.

So far it hasn't really bothered me enough to warrant disassembling the watch again..

I assembled another 5512 "Tropical", again using the cyanoacrylate adhesive, this time doing a MUCH better job I reckon, pics below of the build.

- Milky case set + crown & tube
- VN tropical dial
- Slay fat font "Kissing 40"
- Classic Watch Repair super dome T19
- ETA 2846
- Gilt hands relumed by Trip, and aged / vintagized by yours truly.

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Oh man you could open an own Thread for this 5512 beauty.

The CWR Crystal is also 30,3 mm so there is still the Dome one for the 5512/13 which has 30,5mm I am gonna try to get the retaining Ring over this which is 30,2mm.
I read everything from grease, to icing the case, to heating the plexi, to shaving the retaining ring :D

Did you have to shave the Milk insert from the inside to get it over the crystal ?

Reactions: Solution6

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
Oh man you could open an own Thread for this 5512 beauty.

The CWR Crystal is also 30,3 mm so there is still the Dome one for the 5512/13 which has 30,5mm I am gonna try to get the retaining Ring over this which is 30,2mm.
I read everything from grease, to icing the case, to heating the plexi, to shaving the retaining ring :D

Did you have to shave the Milk insert from the inside to get it over the crystal ?

Hahah thanks..

Please let me know how it works out with the 30.2mm crystal.

I did not need to shave the inside of the insert to get it to fit over the crystal actually. (The insert is from Slay, however I have a Milky insert on the 1680 build and it also fit without issue)

The insert needs to be taped or glued to the bezel because the measurement from Milky is a touch large, so it doesnt "snap" into place like gen.