• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Embarking on an Eastwood 1675 Rootbeer Nipple Dial build

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Did the retaining ring come with the case or the bezel? If it came with the bezel it may not fit the crystal properly. If it came with the case, it may not fit the bezel properly. If your WSO bezel set came with a 5 digit (sapphire crystal) insert, it is likely a 5 digit (sapphire crystal) bezel also.

Some good info in this link.

http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-...ref_16750.html

This is what I'm working with below all from wso. All stated it was for 1675, 16753 etc.. so if the insert is for 5 digit maybe they sent me the wrong one. It pressure fits really nicely into the bezel.

All from wso. I had some new wso 116 xtals that I bought probably 6 years ago that I tried fitting. So the retainer would not go over them without sanding. Had to sand a decent amount and it made them more brittle. I broke all of them, the last one I actually got it all together and everything fit and felt perfect. But I broke that one too when taking it off. I always intended to use a Clark xtal which is on the way, im hoping it will fit.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Can you measure the ID of the retaining ring? Also does the bezel fit the retaining ring? Aftermarket vendors are frequently wrong with claims they make about which models their products fit on.

Here is a good thread about insert sizes

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=119682

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Can you measure the ID of the retaining ring? Also does the bezel fit the retaining ring? Aftermarket vendors are frequently wrong with claims they make about which models their products fit on.

Here is a good thread about insert sizes

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=119682

You were right, 5 digit insert. Bums!
Luckily my expensive-ass, impulsively-bought 18k bezel seems to be 1675 correct.

The retainer fits the bezel perfectly. Wonder what the OD of the clarks 25-116 is. Will be happy as a clam if I dont need to sand.

That IS a great link above.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Tapped, countersunk and installed the tube for the gen 6mm crown. Lookin' good.

Reactions: KJ2020

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
This one has only slightly hanging twos. Though the 16758 is 5 digit, it had a plexi crystal so this should fit. You could email Gary (vendor - he is Clark's) and ask for measurements

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233613591024?hash=item36647481f0:g:fP8AAOxyK~hRGs2r
You've been busy! Doing all the heavy lifting with the scrounging, saving me all sorts of time! This is all mighty kind of you. Thank you sir.

I'll see about the Clarks insert first.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You've been busy! Doing all the heavy lifting with the scrounging, saving me all sorts of time! This is all mighty kind of you. Thank you sir.

I'll see about the Clarks insert first.

Heh no worries bro. I get daily emails from Ebay with various searches, "Brown GMT insert" is one of them. I enjoy collecting inserts and swapping them around.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Heh no worries bro. I get daily emails from Ebay with various searches, "Brown GMT insert" is one of them. I enjoy collecting inserts and swapping them around.
The beautiful thing about having the wrong insert is that I can fry it up in the skillet and do some testing on how the brown reacts.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The beautiful thing about having the wrong insert is that I can fry it up in the skillet and do some testing on how the brown reacts.

Hah yes, it will turn lighter in color I predict, maybe a tad toward orange.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
The two tone RBs aged so nicely, I need to grab a few to play with aswell. Some look all gold, some turn into a pretty cream color.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nur-Uhr

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Also, I should mention, I was worried about that gmt hand being a pig and that he would try to touch those nipples. It fit great on the pinion. The clearance is literally perfect. I put a few scratches on the hands to match scratched up indices(totally on purpose right?)

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13

My dog got ahold of it.

Slimmed the lugs and side profile ever so slightly with dremel, rounded the sharp edges a bit and will finish by hand. Worked CGs very minimally. There's not really much to play with. I kinda just did my own thing to make it unique like you see with a lot of 1675s even left the 6oclock one slightly wider, I've seen that. Alot of the 16753s have what look like like longer and almost squared off at the tip cgs. I dont think I could get anywhere near that with the BPs crown guards. I'm not very anal about 1:1ness. The only reason I'm building a "franken" is because this model is unavailable in rep form. Otherwise i would have saved the $$$ and got the rep, maybe.... Plated gold bothers

Oh I also attacked it with my pliers, as randomly as possible, tossed on it around on the ground a little too. Now to polish.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13

- bezel isn't seated all the way, so its easier get off later
- still waiting on my gold long pinion seconds hand and clarks insert
-still need to drill lugs
-still need to upgrade to milk case.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Hrmm, trying to fit the movement ring into the milk case is proving to be a challenge. I see plenty milk builds with the 2836.

I've had to sand and mod each relief cut for the clamps aswell as the tabs themselves and now the angle of the stem is too sharp. Need to sand that now too.

Fitment is tight, worried about too much pressure on the dial for the pinions.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
j2c7GW.jpg

Got it all together in the milk case, but its definitely too tight. The pinions aren't able to movement from pressure on the dial. Back to the drawing boards.

Milks movement ring isn't going to work in my case. So im going to trim down a cartel ring, height-wise and see if I can get a more natural fit, without putting so much stress on the assembly.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadpan and KJ2020